Tigers v Clermont (A) - Friday 13th January 2023 - KO 20-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LittleBigG

Re: Tigers v Clermont (A) - Friday 13th January 2023 - KO 20-00

Post by LittleBigG »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:00 pm
ourla wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:59 pm I thought we were going to cave at one point - well done all.

Some big performances/moments tonight.

Hopefully that will boost confidence.

Big fan of Cracknell. Shame about Cronin, he will be out for a while I reckon.
Collarbone or shoulder?
He was holding it like collarbone but his face was not saying much (although he is hard 😅)
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

drc_007 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:05 pm Tigers played with the energy that has been lacking so far this season. Need to keep it at that level for the rest of the season.
Defence needs to be better, but loving the energy! Hopefully this is the start of WW style, but we'll see at WR next week 🙂
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Some great performances.

IMO Reffell MOTM

Heyes, Jansen & Cracknell all great too.

However I will say that two young lads may well have had breakout games

1. Whitcombe had an International French prop against him, held his own winning scrum penalties against him.

2. Henderson, he was all over the shop doing the big dirty work that locks need to.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

drc_007 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:10 pm Harry Simmons try

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Jjk5yWUw-Rc
That was a belter. You don’t see many like that. Brilliant!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think it also showed the Steward should not be played on the wing. He did not appear comfort in defence and did not really have many opportunities with the high ball. Atkinson did well at full back but I think Steward would have been better. Could Atkinson have been put on the wing? That would give us two relatively small wingers but both Atkinson and Simmons got stuck in very well.
Overall a great performance. It would have been easy to far away in the 3rd quarter and they stepped up and kept going.
Pick the for Ospreys. Do we go full bore to get the combinations working or give these lads another shot?
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

LittleBigG wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:05 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:00 pm
ourla wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:59 pm I thought we were going to cave at one point - well done all.

Some big performances/moments tonight.

Hopefully that will boost confidence.

Big fan of Cracknell. Shame about Cronin, he will be out for a while I reckon.
Collarbone or shoulder?
He was holding it like collarbone but his face was not saying much (although he is hard 😅)
I suspect ligaments or tendons. Got a twist and a shove placing the ball for his try. Fingers crossed.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:11 pm Some great performances.

IMO Reffell MOTM

Heyes, Jansen & Cracknell all great too.

However I will say that two young lads may well have had breakout games

1. Whitcombe had an International French prop against him, held his own winning scrum penalties against him.

2. Henderson, he was all over the shop doing the big dirty work that locks need to.
I agree. Not taking anything away from the french 9 though. He was brilliant...only 19 as well. Think we will see more of him
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Offside wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:13 pm I think it also showed the Steward should not be played on the wing. He did not appear comfort in defence and did not really have many opportunities with the high ball. Atkinson did well at full back but I think Steward would have been better. Could Atkinson have been put on the wing? That would give us two relatively small wingers but both Atkinson and Simmons got stuck in very well.
Overall a great performance. It would have been easy to far away in the 3rd quarter and they stepped up and kept going.
Pick the for Ospreys. Do we go full bore to get the combinations working or give these lads another shot?
Agree re-Steward on the wing - looks much more comfortable at 15, although Atkinson put himself about well.

For next week, go as strong as we possibly can. Injuries will dictate some positions and got to reward tonight too I think. So Henderson deserves another go, Jansen and Cracknell have to be in there. Only one for me would be maybe Potter in on the wing, Steward to 15 and Atkinson to the bench for impact when Pollard needs his game time managed. Would be harsh on Gopperth but then put Cokanasiga on the bench too to add a different dimension. Otherwise, same again lads!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tigers were immense. Heyes, Jansen, Cracknell, Kelly, Simmons (wow), Youngs but Tommy was world class tonight!

How did they give motm to their scrum half?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:21 pm How did they give mom to their scrum half?
It is ze way of ze French :smt044
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

What a performance that was. In the old Borthwick mantra, one us fans can be proud of.

A few things which really stood out:

Atkinsons tackling, that boy is completely fearless. Made two tap tackles on Raka, possibly 14 pts saved

Reffell…is he a cyborg that’s been built for rugby? Ridiculous

Whitcombe, in a few years he could be an international. steep progress

Henderson, we’ve missed him. He is so athletic and another of our young crop of superstars

Our attack….who knew we could score moments of magic like Simmons try, and that 1st phase Scott try. Lovely stuff

Overall, most impressed by the boys attitude to put behind us the last two weeks and out out a performance like that. Very impressive.

Havana club time! 🥃
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Setpiece absolutely crucial. Heyes has recovered well from the rough night in Swansea, and Jimmy Whitcombe has developed into an absolute rock.

Confidence booster for Pollard and Simmons. Mighty shift from Henderson to remind us how promising he is.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

fentiger wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:21 pm How did they give mom to their scrum half?
It is ze way of ze French :smt044
et il joue tres bon.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

My oh my the ups and downs of supporting Tigers.

Very good win - wins never come easy in France regardless of opposition so needs to be celebrated. Defence shakey at times but tonight it has to be about the positives.

For me a great game for those trying to break through. Harry Simmons take a bow - not a bad way to hold your hand up for future selection. To me Jansen is a dark horse - improving game on game now he’s being given game time. Atkinson showed another string to his bow (Though Steward IMHO is OK on the wing but competing for best FB in the world - so why play him out of position?) and Cracknell is growing exponentially at the moment.

I think we’ve been missing a fully fit Kelly - now he’s back up to full speed we just look stronger in the centres.

Shame about Cronin. Hope it’s not as serious as it looks.

And a final 16 game to look forward to :smt023