Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: David Duckham

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robbbo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:18 pm Hi all

Back on here after years being just a reader only

I felt moved to post on the sad passing away of David Duckham

I was born and brought up in Coventry (before spending the last 40+ years of my life in my adopted county along with beloved Tigers) but originally cut my teeth as a teenager watching rugby and the great Coventry side of the time.

Five England internationals in the Cov team of the time .........four in the backs ............Peter Preece, Peter Rossborough, Geoff Evans and of course DD. The one forward was I believe Keith Fairbrother - who I knew remotely through a rugby playing acquaintance.

Sadly Cov now no longer of the same strength ...........made even worse of course by the invasion of wasps.

For those not fortunate to watch DD play at the time suggest you try to watch the Baa Baa v All Blacks 1973 match on a wet winters afternoon. It will uplift your spirits ................but count how many yellow or red cards there would be with todays rules !!
Hi Robbbo, there is an opinion that the try Duckham scored in that game was the best of the lot.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

https://youtu.be/ZMd7PQavavw
Possibly the greatest game of all time.. the hilarious dad dancing Haka… and the JPR high tackles… and of course ‘that’ try… it set the tone for our generation…
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Austin would have had a field day with the high tackles forward passes etc
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

That clip is so worth watching. The Haka! The sideburns!

Can anyone enlighten me on the throw in? I notice it was one handed - do hookers nowadays use two hands because they can be more accurate or what? I don’t think it has to be two handed but I may be wrong on that.

Thanks so much for posting the link.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CJ wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:50 pm That clip is so worth watching. The Haka! The sideburns!

Can anyone enlighten me on the throw in? I notice it was one handed - do hookers nowadays use two hands because they can be more accurate or what? I don’t think it has to be two handed but I may be wrong on that.

Thanks so much for posting the link.
Hi CJ the 2 handed throw in is a relatively modern introduction and is to give more pace and accuracy and different flight on the ball similar to a cricket leg spinner.
I haven’t thrown into a lineout since 1989 and used to use a one handed spiral similar to a gridiron quarter back
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I remember chatting with him, post match, at Coundon Road. A lovely man, and a great player.

RIP, David.