Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Premiership Rugby

Post by northerntiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:49 pm
northerntiger wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:29 pm Do TMOs just see the match, or do they see the match with replay’s etc as done by the BT sport producers? Because if they do, it doesn’t matter what Healy et al say, as soon as there is a replay the TMO is drawn to it. More to the point, if BT don’t pick up on something, does then the TMO?
The TMO gets the live transmission as it goes out on BT Sport
So that is a real system glitch, which shouldn’t be happening in a (supposedly) top level sport. Effectively, if it’s flagged by BT it’s looked at. If not, it’s not. That is wrong
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

TMO should have the raw feed of the game, which they can look at, replay and review if they see as necessary. Or as referred by the referee. That should be it.

If that all gets too complex, the TMO role should purely be as asked by the actual referee
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

northerntiger wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:26 pm
northerntiger wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:29 pm Do TMOs just see the match, or do they see the match with replay’s etc as done by the BT sport producers? Because if they do, it doesn’t matter what Healy et al say, as soon as there is a replay the TMO is drawn to it. More to the point, if BT don’t pick up on something, does then the TMO?
So that is a real system glitch, which shouldn’t be happening in a (supposedly) top level sport. Effectively, if it’s flagged by BT it’s looked at. If not, it’s not. That is wrong
Badly wrong,shockingly in fact!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

northerntiger wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:26 pm
Its not a "system glitch" because its something that Premiership Rugby mandated and has been used since the TMO system was introduced. I agree its wrong when BT do not cover all live games and some BT commentators are more vociferous than others when it comes to being TMO wannabees.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Essentially the TMO is always going to be flawed as they can never see everything. The host broadcast shouldn't affect what is seen or not seen.

Essentially there's 3 ways to standardise this.
1. remove the TMO, back to onfield

2. No audio from the host broadcast, that does still leave the host broadcast to put up images on the big screen etc...

3. Replace the TMO with a team of officials. Not one but many. Have one of them dividing the play into phases to review. Then each official looks ar their part in depth. So every single ruck has someone looking at it slow motion on replay. They then flag it for a second review by one of the other team looking, if two agree there's an issue then formal review. Then things wouldn't get missed. However I reckon you'd need a minimum of 10 people working well together not 1 TMO.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:26 am Essentially the TMO is always going to be flawed as they can never see everything. The host broadcast shouldn't affect what is seen or not seen.

2. No audio from the host broadcast, that does still leave the host broadcast to put up images on the big screen etc...

3. Replace the TMO with a team of officials. Not one but many. Have one of them dividing the play into phases to review. Then each official looks ar their part in depth. So every single ruck has someone looking at it slow motion on replay. They then flag it for a second review by one of the other team looking, if two agree there's an issue then formal review. Then things wouldn't get missed. However I reckon you'd need a minimum of 10 people working well together not 1 TMO.
Option 4, request the commentators to not highlight things they think are foul play until after the game as doing so live brings no benifit to anyone, the TMO, 3 refs and a citing officer are there to do that, if they are incompetent so be it, foul play can be highlighed in the post match analysis if they feel the need but live it brings the system into disrepute.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I see in the football world cup they had at least 4 TMOs
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
bendy

Post by bendy »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:00 am I see in the football world cup they had at least 4 TMOs
I don't think rugby is awash with aspiring referees, willing to be TMOs. I suspect we struggle to get enough officials to matches as it is, without doubling the team size from 4 to 7 or 8 at every match.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BengalTiger wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:47 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:26 am Essentially the TMO is always going to be flawed as they can never see everything. The host broadcast shouldn't affect what is seen or not seen.

Option 4, request the commentators to not highlight things they think are foul play until after the game as doing so live brings no benifit to anyone, the TMO, 3 refs and a citing officer are there to do that, if they are incompetent so be it, foul play can be highlighed in the post match analysis if they feel the need but live it brings the system into disrepute.
Option 2,no audio. Cheap and easy! Any missed foul play can be dealt with post game. I still can't get my head around the fact that commentators are having a massive say on the outcome of games,it's a farce!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

bendy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:20 am
sapajo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:00 am I see in the football world cup they had at least 4 TMOs
I don't think rugby is awash with aspiring referees, willing to be TMOs. I suspect we struggle to get enough officials to matches as it is, without doubling the team size from 4 to 7 or 8 at every match.
This is true, but surely its a lot easier to train up a TMO than a ref or assistant ref.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

How many cameras do BT run at a typical televised game?

Provide one screen per observer per TV camera. Let's call them the Observer Corp. No comms other than in the Obs room. Overview by TMO not BT or the editor.
Screen 1 sees high tackle calls TMO. TMO judges its worthy of review in discussion with the Observer, calls it in to Sir.
Sir judges if to view. What the audience then see and hear is 'official comms' and not affected by TV commentators etc.who are paid to talk.

Basic state defence tactics. Now where did I leave my ARP tin hat?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

:smt010
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:08 am How many cameras do BT run at a typical televised game?

Provide one screen per observer per TV camera. Let's call them the Observer Corp. No comms other than in the Obs room. Overview by TMO not BT or the editor.
Screen 1 sees high tackle calls TMO. TMO judges its worthy of review in discussion with the Observer, calls it in to Sir.
Sir judges if to view. What the audience then see and hear is 'official comms' and not affected by TV commentators etc.who are paid to talk.

Basic state defence tactics. Now where did I leave my ARP tin hat?
The average number of cameras covering a Premiership match are between 8 and 10. The TMO has the live feed, a delayed feed (10-15 seconds behind real time - allows to review without stopping the game) and another 4 screens.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ads wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:35 am
This is true, but surely its a lot easier to train up a TMO than a ref or assistant ref.
There are plenty on this forum. :smt002
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:15 pm
ads wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:35 am

There are plenty on this forum. :smt002
Like clockwork :smt005