Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Saturday 07th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Saturday 07th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by sapajo »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:52 pm Need to get Saumaki on the wing!! He has the pace and power that we need, haven’t a clue why he is so under used, must be injury I guess!!
Can't or will not tackle nothing else. That said he would not be unique in the current team
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:53 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:52 pm Need to get Saumaki on the wing!! He has the pace and power that we need, haven’t a clue why he is so under used, must be injury I guess!!
Can't or will not tackle nothing else. That said he would not be unique in the current team
Worse then Nandolo on the turn or not? You wouldn’t have him in the team for his tackling ability IMO no worse then Simmons in defence and would be better in attack
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Can someone pls tell me where is Bret Deacon, I have not seen him nor has he done any mid game bt chats which he always did?
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:10 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:54 pm Changed my mind!! Tigers have conceded an average of 28 points per match! A good reason to hit the panic button!
But what can we press?
Kinda screwed due to the RFU messing the plans
Ok, but the same nucleus of players are in the squad as under SB and aren’t suddenly going to change their way if playing, are they?
Semper in excretia
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Qbec wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:09 pm Can someone pls tell me where is Bret Deacon, I have not seen him nor has he done any mid game bt chats which he always did?
Its clearly been decided to relieve him of this duty in favour of Aled. Make of that what you will but Aled was clearly struggling today
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:12 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:54 pm Changed my mind!! Tigers have conceded an average of 28 points per match! A good reason to hit the panic button!
But what can we press?
Ok, but the same nucleus of players are in the squad as under SB and aren’t suddenly going to change their way if playing, are they?
We're missing Borthwick's analytical preparation, I suspect he'd already done it ready for Glaws before he left but not Sale or Falcons. I'm not sure Wigglesworth has the same experience to prepare the side in the same way, we should be looking to bring in some experience to help him. Matt Everard is the current defence coach but not really sure what's happening as we've looked terrible in the last two games.

If things don't improve by the end of the month there's going to have to be some tough questions asked.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:26 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:12 pm

But what can we press?
We're missing Borthwick's analytical preparation, I suspect he'd already done it ready for Glaws before he left but not Sale or Falcons. I'm not sure Wigglesworth has the same experience to prepare the side in the same way, we should be looking to bring in some experience to help him. Matt Everard is the current defence coach but not really sure what's happening as we've looked terrible in the last two games.

If things don't improve by the end of the month there's going to have to be some tough questions asked.
The issue as has been stated on here before is what constitutes improvement? When the club have publicly stated that no goals have been set for this season so there can be no tough questions to ask when nothing is expected. Who would not work in a job with zero accountability
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:46 pm Having played 8 away games...if 2 of those games had been at home, the league table could read different. Sale and Saracens are the two dominant teams and the remaining 9 are about the same level.
Home games are generally a big advantage so lets hope our 6 home games bring good results.
My issue is more the performances than the results (though they're mediocre, too). We've been walloped twice in a row and even when we've won - Glos and Clermont - it's not looked convincing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:01 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:46 pm Having played 8 away games...if 2 of those games had been at home, the league table could read different. Sale and Saracens are the two dominant teams and the remaining 9 are about the same level.
Home games are generally a big advantage so lets hope our 6 home games bring good results.
My issue is more the performances than the results (though they're mediocre, too). We've been walloped twice in a row and even when we've won - Glos and Clermont - it's not looked convincing.
I did make a point recently that bar Quins away when have we looked like the league champions?! It’s been poor all season bar the odd game or two if we are all honest
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think we are missing Borthwick’s analytical preparation BUT at the same time this is what Borthwick has coached this team sadly.

You look at the majority of players Borthwick signed how many of them are attacking players?
Montoya and Nadolo signed before Borthwick came
Wiese? Was he a Borthwick find or Jan?
Porter a Rob Taylor signing

Did Borthwick create a balanced squad?

We had a great last season obviously but every team knows to attack our maul now, every team also seems to have their own maul game now, did we just catch teams by surprise mixed with incredible injury luck?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

What has happened to our defensive structure which was excellent last year - I know we have a new defensive coach but surely it has not been dismantled and they are trying something new? We are losing tries like it was Christmas every game. I know some important players are missing but come on, the ability of our players to defend our line cannot just have disappeared along with our coaches. Next week is a must win game for me. I also hope Atkinson staying on turns out to be the correct decision as he did look very troubled by his ankle/knee problems. I have never liked the 6 - 2 bench split - leaves too few choices for me.
Hehehehehehehehe
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

There can be no excuse for today's debacle. Words really do fail me.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:10 pm What has happened to our defensive structure which was excellent last year - I know we have a new defensive coach but surely it has not been dismantled and they are trying something new? We are losing tries like it was Christmas every game. I know some important players are missing but come on, the ability of our players to defend our line cannot just have disappeared along with our coaches. Next week is a must win game for me. I also hope Atkinson staying on turns out to be the correct decision as he did look very troubled by his ankle/knee problems. I have never liked the 6 - 2 bench split - leaves too few choices for me.
The loss of the defence coach was the one I feared most rather than Borthwick.

Each defence coach has their own preference on things, even if it's slight nuances, they can have a huge difference. It'll be very hard for the players to change from Sinfield's system to take on the nuances of what Matt Everard wants them to do. Similarly, Everard will find it hard drilling Sinfield's system each week which he may not believe in.

I've said all season that our attack is poor and that's being shown up big time when we've not got our primary two ball carriers available.

Last season happened too soon, but to an extent it is good that it did knowing what we know now.

IMHO, our season is done and the reset button gets pressed in May/June when the new HC arrives with, in all likelihood, his own support staff.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

In my opinion this has little to do with Wigglesworth stepping up (maybe the magnitude of the last couple results wouldn’t have been so dire). We’ve been pretty poor this season. Think Genge and Ford have been big losses as leaders.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Some of our defensive issues perhaps stem from our defence coach being distracted by the fund raising and now being lost to England.
Add to that the loss of key players- Genge, Ford and Moroni as well as injuries has substantially affected the team balance. The Noddy cup causing selection issues with Van Wyk playing in the league side instead of Whitcombe cost us points.

Lots of factors and now our two senior coaches gone. Thanks England. Why did they extend Jones contract when there were warning signs that his time was coming to and end and then sack him mid-season? Just to drop Tigers in it. He should have been sacked after the last 6N to enable time for new coaches to be found.

Can Sean Edwards be released by France after the World Cup for a head coach role?