Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Saturday 07th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Saturday 07th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Need a big performance from the pack, especially from the internationals like Chessum and Reffell. Feel like neither have hit the heights from last season.

Thought Simmons played well against the Ospreys, good kick chase and won’t let anyone down. Strong Newcastle team so should be a cracking match.

Just seen the interview from the players saying they’ve been massively impressed with Wiggs. Then they need to put in a performance to prove it.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Retaining Kini and Samaki and letting Moroni go hasn’t really worked out.

Good team. Great to see Cronin back. I’d have been even happier if Martin or Wiese was back as well. Really need a win to have any chance of top 2.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Goshengareth wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:04 pm Retaining Kini and Samaki and letting Moroni go hasn’t really worked out.

Good team. Great to see Cronin back. I’d have been even happier if Martin or Wiese was back as well. Really need a win to have any chance of top 2.
Have to wonder now Borthwick has gone, I’d imagine Wiggs or his successor would’ve probably kept Moroni who wanted to stay. Shame he’s now playing for a rival. Oh yeah and he’d be available during the six nations period.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

It’s a very strong Newcastle side and as their team did a job on Sale then this could be another long afternoon. It’s not helped by having the England lads away for part of the week.
We haven’t really turned up properly away from home apart from Saints and Quins.
I hope Tigers prove me wrong but I think we will be luck to get a losing bonus point meaning Newcastle will be right behind us in the league.
Top 4 would be a good finish but top 2 is now gone.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

From Falcons web:

Adam Radwan and Matias Moroni come in for Newcastle Falcons on Saturday when they host Gallagher Premiership champions Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park Stadium.
Radwan starts on the right wing for the 2pm kick-off, with Moroni lining up against the club for whom he started in last season’s victorious Premiership final.
He partners fellow Argentina international Matias Orlando, re-forming the same midfield pairing which started in Los Pumas’ historic test victory away to New Zealand at the start of the season.
Tom Penny continues to captain the Falcons but switches from centre to full-back, having scored two tries away to Northampton the last time he played with No.15 on his back.
Brett Connon is at fly-half after missing just one kick at goal in his last five league outings, with the Falcons aiming to push on from their last home game – a 20-14 triumph against high-flying Sale Sharks on December 23.

On the bench there is a return for hooker Charlie Maddison following the end of his suspension, with Tian Schoeman back from illness.
Looking forward to the game, head coach Dave Walder is well aware of the ways in which Leicester will test his Falcons side.
He said: “Statistically, the games Leicester have won and lost have defined by the territorial battle and the gain line, and we’ve spoken about that.
“Last week Sale Sharks gave a pretty good example of how you need to play against them – Sale were outstanding in what they did – but we know Leicester will be a wounded animal from that.
“We’ve got a good idea of what we need to do, the key is going to be are we able to execute it?”
With Newcastle scoring more first-phase tries this season than most teams in the division, Walder said: “Last year we scored more tries from counter-attack, and it seems like sides have taken notice of that and given us more line-outs, so we’re now starting to see more line-out scores.
“A lot of our first-phase tries have been scored from our maul, which Micky Ward and Scott MacLeod have got well-drilled, and it also creates opportunities around it when defenders get sucked in.
“We’re always looking at ways to score more tries and we’re conscious of the need to do that – whether it’s from one phase or from 27. We’re always looking at ways to get the ball into the hands of runners like Mateo Carreras and Adam Radwan, and our outside backs are absolutely lethal when we get them good ball.
“I hate using the word ‘brave’, because moving the ball wide isn’t brave if that’s where the space is.
“That’s just smart rugby, and part of our problem this season has been that we’re moving the ball to the space probably a phase later than we should have been. So the ball is getting there, but we’re up against a more organised defensive line with plenty of numbers, and we just need to be sharper in not having that extra carry or that extra phase when there’s space on the width.
“We’ve maybe gone into our shell a little bit in certain respects before we move the ball, and we just need to get that balance of moving the ball to the right place at the right time. It’s not a forwards versus backs thing – it’s just guys seeing the space, calling it in and making it happen.”
With the BT Sport cameras in town for only the second time this season, Walder insists he and his players are determined to seize the chance to showcase the club.
“It’s a massive opportunity for us to show a wider audience what we’re about, and we always love being on TV,” said the former England fly-half.
“It’s a shame we’re not on TV more, and there’s a feeling around the club that we get ignored a bit in terms of how few times we get picked for televised matches compared to other clubs.
“First and foremost of course you want people inside the stadium and enjoying the game in person, but for the guys who can’t get here or for your away matches, absolutely you want to have that exposure of being on BT Sport.
“We want people to see what we’ve got going on and what we’re building as a team, and it’s important for us as a club to start getting our fair share of the TV picks.”

Newcastle Falcons team v Leicester Tigers (Saturday, 2pm, Kingston Park Stadium, live on BT Sport).

15 Tom Penny (captain), 14 Adam Radwan, 13 Matias Moroni, 12 Matias Orlando, 11 Mateo Carreras, 10 Brett Connon, 9 Sam Stuart; 1 Adam Brocklebank, 2 Jamie Blamire, 3 Trevor Davison, 4 Greg Peterson, 5 Sebastian de Chaves, 6 Gary Graham, 7 Callum Chick, 8 Carl Fearns.

Replacements: 16 Charlie Maddison, 17 Logovi’i Mulipola, 18 Richard Palframan, 19 Matthew Dalton, 20 Tom Marshall, 21 Michael Young, 22 Tian Schoeman, 23 Elliott Obatoyinbo.

Not available for selection: Sam Clark, Connor Collett, Matt Deehan, Freddie Lockwood, Pete Lucock, Cameron Nordli-Kelemeti, Guy Pepper, Josh Peters, Sean Robinson, Oliver Spencer, George Wacokecoke, Will Welch.

Leicester Tigers: 15 Freddie Steward, 14 Harry Potter, 13 Matt Scott, 12 Dan Kelly, 11 Harry Simmons, 10 Charlie Atkinson, 9 Ben Youngs; 1 James Cronin, 2 Charlie Clare, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Harry Wells, 5 Calum Green, 6 Ollie Chessum, 7 Tommy Reffell, 8 Hanro Liebenberg (captain).

Replacements: 16 Joe Taufete’e, 17 Nephi Leatigaga, 18 Joe Heyes, 19 Cameron Henderson, 20 Emeka Ilione, 21 Sean Jansen, 22 Jack van Poortvliet, 23 Jimmy Gopperth.

Referee: Tom Foley.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

What a novel idea showing who isn't available for selection....nice touch of openness & transparency.......
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Thanks Tigerbeat.
Interesting that Falcons state clearly at the end of their piece who was not available for selection. We have to guess, but I think we have a fair idea!!

Not happy with the 6-2 split, seems madness after what happened last week.

Our pack should hopefully have the upper hand, if so we have a decent chance, even with a depleted backline.

COYT!!
Soggypitch
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Would Saumaki and Kini's salaries cover Moroni's? Were Saumaki and Kini even out of contract?

I think Chessum has struggled to have the same impact at lock as he did last season at 6. I haven't seen the same big hits from him this year, and I wonder if he's more of a Courtney Lawes type that, despite his height, is better suited to flanker.

Regarding openness and transparency, it seems from the press conference that Tigers don't want to be open and transparent to their rivals, which I can understand even if I don't 100% believe it makes a difference.

Looks like it'll be a close game but Tigers have been pretty well suited to nullifying the Newcastle game in recent years and I'm confident we'll get the win. I wouldn't expect it to be pretty though...
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think Chessum when he has played has played well. For quite a bit of the season he has not been available due to bring injured on Engalnd duty.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:21 pm It’s a very strong Newcastle side and as their team did a job on Sale then this could be another long afternoon. It’s not helped by having the England lads away for part of the week.
We haven’t really turned up properly away from home apart from Saints and Quins.
I hope Tigers prove me wrong but I think we will be luck to get a losing bonus point meaning Newcastle will be right behind us in the league.
+1 I expect the cork to remain in the Remy bottle tomorrow.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:00 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:21 pm It’s a very strong Newcastle side and as their team did a job on Sale then this could be another long afternoon. It’s not helped by having the England lads away for part of the week.
+1 I expect the cork to remain in the Remy bottle tomorrow.
Disagree... their backs look good. But our pack is definitely up there. Definitely has 6 of 8 of our strongest pack in it and the other two are both top top players...

I suspect we've gone Simmons to counter the pace of Carreras & Radwan.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Qbec wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:00 pm Where is Hosea Saumaki if we are short out on the wing to use Harry Simmons then for what reason is HS not in the squad
Suspect with the opposition having Carreras & Radwan we've gone for gas. That said Saumaki hasn't played since pulling out of the Champions Cup game injured.

Also may well be just with us going 6-2 to keep the right cover in the rest of the travelling reserves, we may not have a 9 in those with Simmons covering if Youngs or JVP have an issue in warm up.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We need something from this game a point & a decent performance wouldn't be too bad.

Let's hope Illione gets a worthwhile run out, if not now when?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:32 pm
Qbec wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:00 pm Where is Hosea Saumaki if we are short out on the wing to use Harry Simmons then for what reason is HS not in the squad
Suspect with the opposition having Carreras & Radwan we've gone for gas. That said Saumaki hasn't played since pulling out of the Champions Cup game injured.

Also may well be just with us going 6-2 to keep the right cover in the rest of the travelling reserves, we may not have a 9 in those with Simmons covering if Youngs or JVP have an issue in warm up.
Gas on a plastic pitch seems sensible TFS and Simmons wasn’t afraid to tackle from his days at 9 I seem to remember - this and string kick chase will be vital.

On the travelling reserves point, I wouldn’t be surprised if either Edwards or Wolstenholme are in the travelling squad to prepare for the European / 6N period. Wouldn’t be surprised to see BY and JVP paired with one of Edwards and Wolstenholme for the 2 Europe games.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Great to see Emeka potentially making his debut - overdue. Let's hope the score is a bit closer than v Sale.