New Borthwick England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mothy
Tiger Cub

New Borthwick England

Post by mothy »

Surly he just needs to look at the cricket ??
New Coach and captain similar group of players with a couple of youngsters thrown in and we will beat anybody !!
So who for the new captain and what big changes may ensue?
How about Genge as captain ?
( and Daly and Farrell out of the squad !)
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: New Borthwick England

Post by Rugbygramps »

Genge as captain and Smith out of the squad more like. He is Englands answer to Damien Mackenzie, brilliant at times but how do you fit him into a National team.
Anybody who thinks Farrell is not going to be in the squad is going to be disappointed unless he’s injured
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Lawes as captain, cracking player in second or back row, leads by example, you can’t drop Farrell he is world class but not a great captain, bring In Spencer as a scrum half and drop Youngs, he is just not international standard any more, Smith is a bit erratic but when on form a very talented player.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I don't expect massive changes but hope the likes of Earl, Mercer and OHC are in the frame. We have the players, just need to get them to gel. It may be time up for Vunipola x2 and May, but if we have no chance predicting a Borthwick Tigers side, trying to predict his England team would be folly!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:28 pm Lawes as captain, cracking player in second or back row, leads by example, you can’t drop Farrell he is world class but not a great captain, bring In Spencer as a scrum half and drop Youngs, he is just not international standard any more, Smith is a bit erratic but when on form a very talented player.
Lawes has too many concussion concerns. Keep in the leadership group but you can't keep him as captain, he's managed two games this season for a total of 79 minutes. He's also 33 and this is a prime time to invest in someone younger for the longer term. Farrell and Lawes can remain in the leadership team, they won't be dropped if fit.

I can't see Youngs being dropped, immediately at least. He's got a ridiculous number of caps and experience. Ben Spencer may well be recalled given Quirke is injured but he hasn't got many caps to his name. Even if Youngs is the third scrum half his knowledge of the opposition and likely tactics will be great for the other two in the squad. You'd be mad not to have that accessible to the squad when JVP, Quirke, Mitchell and Spencer have less than 20 caps between the four of them.

Smith is an injury doubt for the Scotland game so might well not make the squad.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Borthwick does like a big number 6 but I hope he looks at all the options including Curry, with either Earl or Pearson at 7.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:28 pm Lawes as captain, cracking player in second or back row, leads by example, you can’t drop Farrell he is world class but not a great captain, bring In Spencer as a scrum half and drop Youngs, he is just not international standard any more, Smith is a bit erratic but when on form a very talented player.
Spencer is an interesting one. Borthwick will know him well so he may be in with a shout, but he always comes across as a bit of a loner which can count against you in a team sport. Borthwick places importance on attitude. Of the three old boys, Spencer, Youngs and Care only one is likely to be selected up to the World Cup and none beyond.

The big call as you say is what to do with Farrell. If I was Borthwick, Farrell would be finisher, leaving a choice between Smith and Ford to start at ten. I’d be tempted to include both in wider squad, but on match day if Ford is fit he starts.

Lawes’ England career has at least another year to run and we know he won’t let England down, but for me like Farrell he is a bencher.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

It's so, so hard to predict how Borthwick will go.

I would not be surprised if Genge became captain.

In terms of impact on Tigers:

Certain
JvP
Steward
Chessum

Very likely
Youngs
Watson
Porter
Heyes

Possible
Cole
Potter
Kelly
Martin (if fit)
Last edited by longlivethecrumbie on Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I would put Cole into the "very likely" box.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:56 pm It's so, so hard to predict how Borthwick will go.

I would not be surprised if Genge became captain.

In terms of impact on Tigers:

Certain
JvP
Steward
Chessum

Very likely
Youngs
Watson
Porter
Hayes

Possible
Cole
Potter
Kelly
Martin (if fit)
I'd definitely swap a few around

Certain
JvP
Steward
Chessum
Watson
Cole

Likely
Youngs
Kelly

Possible
Heyes
Potter
Porter
Martin
Dolly - depending on gametime building up
Whitcombe - possibly as an Apprentice type player of he does those

For me Cole has always been Borthwick's go to Tighthead here so he's certainly more likely to be in the squad than Heyes (Heyes I doubtwill go barring injury, IMO Borthwick takes 3 TH's and can't see any of Cole, Stuart & Sinckler missing out if fit), and Borthwick will want Cole back in the dressing room ASAP. With his experienced wingers possibly on the decline he'll definitely take Watson as one of his experienced wingers as he's possibly the only in form experienced international winger England have atm. I also think Kelly is more likely than Porter to go, though both may well go.

Dolly has a shot at going but doubt it, maybe towards the end of the 6N.

Potter is one I nearly moved up. Having heard Borthwick describe him as good enough for test level in his penultimate game as Tigers boss when everyone knew where he was going pretty much was interesting. That said IMO Hassell-Collins & Murley may be ahead of him, Potter is one I think may be in with a shout vs say Radwan, given the style Borthwick likes.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Won't be many changes,yet. Borths will just try and get a tune out of what he's got and see if he can get one last hurrah out of some of his experienced players. Something like this:

Genge (C)
George
Sinckler/Cole
Itoje
Chessum
Lawes
Curry
Billy V.
JVP
Farrell
A N Other
Kelly
Porter/Slade
Watson
Steward

Won't be far off that I feel
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:05 am Won't be many changes,yet. Borths will just try and get a tune out of what he's got and see if he can get one last hurrah out of some of his experienced players. Something like this:

Genge (C)
George
Sinckler/Cole
Itoje
Chessum
Lawes
Curry
Billy V.
JVP
Farrell
A N Other
Kelly
Porter/Slade
Watson
Steward

Won't be far off that I feel
Maybe OHC at 11?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:43 pm I would put Cole into the "very likely" box.
I believe he would get his 100th cap in the last game in France too!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Can he pick Mercer yet as he is confirmed back in England next season?

There has to be some doubt over Lawes playing again.

For everyone raving about Porter & Kelly they also produce some utterly average passing at times.

Trying to find a solution at 12 is arguably the key to a cohesive backline, one of Kelly or Lawrence would fit the bill. Manu at 12 might work but definitely not 13 anymore.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:25 am Can he pick Mercer yet as he is confirmed back in England next season?

There has to be some doubt over Lawes playing again.

For everyone raving about Porter & Kelly they also produce some utterly average passing at times.

Trying to find a solution at 12 is arguably the key to a cohesive backline, one of Kelly or Lawrence would fit the bill. Manu at 12 might work but definitely not 13 anymore.
That's a good question on Mercer,not sure though.