Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:35 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:59 pm if the plan is to use Simmons we need to start getting him as the bench 9 IMO to get him back in the swing of it
Before his run of bad injuries Simmons was performing brilliantly at 9. Fast. Powerful and excellent quick pass. Be brilliant if he could return to where he left off.
We are going to have to stop agreeing as I agree with all the above.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:57 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:59 pm if the plan is to use Simmons we need to start getting him as the bench 9 IMO to get him back in the swing of it
Before his run of bad injuries Simmons was performing brilliantly at 9. Fast. Powerful and excellent quick pass. Be brilliant if he could return to where he left off.
it was also several years ago, also Wiggy in his press conference when asked about 9s didn't mention Simmons
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:03 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:57 pm

it was also several years ago, also Wiggy in his press conference when asked about 9s didn't mention Simmons
I think Simmons is currently a 6/2 bench cover for 9, when you're not planning on changing your 9 but making sure you're not scuppering chances. Think he's a handy travelling reserve (as he showed vs Ospreys) due to covering 9/11/14/15
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Lewis Boyce and Tom Ellis both rumoured leaving Bath.

Both players I rate and think could fit in with us.
Ellis for Snyman (with Martin shifting more to lock)
Boyce for Van Wyk
OHC for Nadolo
Would be good moves imo
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 am Lewis Boyce and Tom Ellis both rumoured leaving Bath.

Boyce for Van Wyk
OHC for Nadolo
Would be good moves imo
lots of sources saying OHC is done deal
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:06 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 am Lewis Boyce and Tom Ellis both rumoured leaving Bath.

Boyce for Van Wyk
OHC for Nadolo
Would be good moves imo
lots of sources saying OHC is done deal
If Irish are in the financial difficulties everyone is reporting that squad will be picked apart especially their back 3 players and 2 flankers.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I really rate Boyce, he could be a cracking pickup. Cronin, Whitcombe and Boyce would be a very good stable of LHs. Whilst I really like Nephi he hasn't been featuring much so I'd presume may be off at the end of his contract.

If we were going after a flanker to facilitate Martin shifting to lock more then I'd be looking at Juan Martin Gonzalez. He's quietly become a fantastic flanker with Argentina. Easy to be overlooked when Argentina's loose forwards include Matera, Isa, Kremer and Petti. Gonzalez is just consistently very good every game though.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

See Shields is on a one year contract I believe in France.

Would honestly be a good pick up if possible
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Shields could fit well. Lineout option, covers the back row, very consistent, leadership experience. He'd be 32 at the start of next season a good few years there as well if he stays fit. In an ideal world I'd prefer a younger option who's still improving such as Gonzalez but they'd come at a higher price too of course.

Another leader in the back row would be good. It often feels that if Hanro is fit he plays and near enough goes the 80. That's great because he's a brilliant player but it is a heavy workload. A player of Shields quality and experience would be fairly ideal to allow a bit more rotation of Hanro whilst maintaining that leadership in the pack.

Ilione is the unknown in the back row debate. If he were to get a chance in the Prem I could see him fitting in immediately. His performances building up to that for the U20s and the PRC have been very impressive.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

How long was West’s deal at Ealing, he could come into the discussion in LH options. Also worth noting Rodrigo Martinez doesn’t appear to have been picked up after Wasps demise, another promising prop.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:42 am How long was West’s deal at Ealing, he could come into the discussion in LH options. Also worth noting Rodrigo Martinez doesn’t appear to have been picked up after Wasps demise, another promising prop.
Martinez would be a great pick up - Martinez, Cronin and Whitcombe on rotation with Richardson as the upcomer would be great imo!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Must say how impressed I continue to be with Whitcombe. He just seems to get better with each game. That’ll be another England absentee in a couple of seasons.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

I’m still slightly confused over some of the contract lengths of the former wasps players such as Koch, Odogwu and Hougaard and lots of others who are all high quality players who may be available for next year? They could easily solve some of our issues with players being away for England eg Kelly, Porter, Potter and some maybe retiring/ playing less soon eg Cole, Youngs. Wondering if someone could shed some light on it?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://youtu.be/LzMhlf7DCec

Confirmed by Oghre his last game was vs Sale.

I know a club interview is always going to be a bit biased but from that I reckon we will have a shout at getting him next season which I think would be a handy pickup.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TCD and Oghre leaving

Club must be confident of the others fitness or have someone else lined up