Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by wigworth »

I guess I will throw this out there to gauge the feeling in the room, would most people want a coach appointed after the end of this season so they are in place for preseason and ready to start next season? Or be prepared to wait until after the World Cup is over to try your luck with who might be available then?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:35 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:27 pm I'm concerned with WW as Interim HC, I never like his style of play, or when he was selected, will we revert back to our prime instinct of kicking the ball away? I hope not, especially with Charlie at FH, can WW accept this style? Got to give him support, hope he pleases and gives us something to cheer on Christmas eve.
Sad day losing those coaches but lets get on with it. :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
It was, almost certainly, his insight and tactics that enabled us to beat Saracens in the final! Think he'll be pretty good at the job.
Totally agree Fentiger. I posted at the time of final I thought he would play just because of this.
I get posters comments about our back play since he has been involved. With Borthwick and Sinfield in place the dynamic will have been different, so we will see if things change now he is head honcho. We certainly have the players to play more adventurously
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

wigworth wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:47 pm I guess I will throw this out there to gauge the feeling in the room, would most people want a coach appointed after the end of this season so they are in place for preseason and ready to start next season? Or be prepared to wait until after the World Cup is over to try your luck with who might be available then?
I doubt defeated International coaches will be taking club jobs so for me get someone signed up pre season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:47 pm I guess I will throw this out there to gauge the feeling in the room, would most people want a coach appointed after the end of this season so they are in place for preseason and ready to start next season? Or be prepared to wait until after the World Cup is over to try your luck with who might be available then?
I think if we are going to move in that direction he needs to be in place for preseason. RWC doesn’t finish until the end of October so if we wait could be January until someone is in place with half the season over.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:56 pm
I think if we are going to move in that direction he needs to be in place for preseason. RWC doesn’t finish until the end of October so if we wait could be January until someone is in place with half the season over.
Cannot believe I am saying this but I agree :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
nasher

Post by nasher »

Give the guy a chance! Stop rubbishing him because of your prejudices he has a solid team around him let’s see what he can do instead of some international “name” who may be out of a job after the World Cup because he failed.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

For what it’s worth, if you go with a completely new coach, from outside of the organisation, you are going to have another squad reshaping period.

If you go with a coach from inside of the organisation, one that adheres to the previous coaches philosophy, then that could mean a seamless transition. This doesn’t take into account that if, in the second scenario, the coach is rubbish.

I feel that the club would like to transition as seamlessly as possible to the new coaching setup and Wigglesworth gives them the opportunity to do that.

Oh, and I do think that Wigglesworth is the best man for the job right now. Come on you Tiigggeeeerrrrrssssss!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

nasher wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:09 pm Give the guy a chance! Stop rubbishing him because of your prejudices he has a solid team around him let’s see what he can do instead of some international “name” who may be out of a job after the World Cup because he failed.
I do not recognise what you are describing I have not read of anyone rubbishing anyone because of their alleged prejudices. What I do recognise is some legitimate concerns
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

nasher wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:09 pm Give the guy a chance! Stop rubbishing him because of your prejudices he has a solid team around him let’s see what he can do instead of some international “name” who may be out of a job after the World Cup because he failed.
Absolutely! Let's imagine, just for a minute, that he's a success and we have a period of stability and continued success? Don't forget most successful coaches were once players, some transition quicker than others🤞
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:22 pm
nasher wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:09 pm Give the guy a chance! Stop rubbishing him because of your prejudices he has a solid team around him let’s see what he can do instead of some international “name” who may be out of a job after the World Cup because he failed. :
Absolutely! Let's imagine, just for a minute, that he's a success and we have a period of stability and continued success? Don't forget most successful coaches were once players, some transition quicker than others🤞
2 on the bounce fentiger :smt023
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Agreed
Let’s go with it and support
I suggested a few weeks back that the continuity of recruiting from within is the best way to support and maintain what went well before
Wiggy, Aled and Deaks are strong proven characters ..would love to see the return of Boris back in the scrum coach role he just had a presence and open to ideas for the new “super Kev” role…until then I think we should get behind it
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Glass half full... WW gets the game plan, was trusted enough by the now-Eng head coach to run the attack and has a stable club behind him. He's an intelligent, experienced player.

Glass half empty... he's not even been a full-time assistant coach before, let alone a head coach. The part of our game he's coaches is arguably our weakest. And he's got to switch from team mate to boss - we know how that went for Geordan.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Yes, I understand your point Crumbling T and to an extent I agree but Geordie did inherit a totally different squad and scenario. Borthwick was brave enough and circumstances allowed him to sweep with a new broom
I don’t think that’s required right now so the glass is more than half full (I hope 👍)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:18 pm Glass half full... WW gets the game plan, was trusted enough by the now-Eng head coach to run the attack and has a stable club behind him. He's an intelligent, experienced player.

Glass half empty... he's not even been a full-time assistant coach before, let alone a head coach. The part of our game he's coaches is arguably our weakest. And he's got to switch from team mate to boss - we know how that went for Geordan.
I do get the glass half empty view, however I've always been an optimist.

I'd also point out that Geordan inherited a hospital pass... he had a dysfunctional club which didn't have any foundations to build on.

Borthwick stripped back the groundworks and remade the foundations, so long as WW builds on foundations laid I think we'll be in and around the playoffs at the end of the season.

I don't know Wigglesworth personally but the people who do, are the ones who have appointed him. They surely know the players and other coaches views. Lets let it unfold and see what will happen
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:27 pm I'm concerned with WW as Interim HC, I never like his style of play, or when he was selected, will we revert back to our prime instinct of kicking the ball away? I hope not, especially with Charlie at FH, can WW accept this style? Got to give him support, hope he pleases and gives us something to cheer on Christmas eve.
Sad day losing those coaches but lets get on with it. :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Why do you assume WW will coach in the same way he plays? They are completely different roles and his playing style pre-retirement is no predictor I’d what he’ll do as a coach.