Abuse to Officials?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Abuse to Officials?

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://twitter.com/GoodBadRugby/status ... VCxVA&s=19

Totally unacceptable.... new blood is needed for the next generation.
Nice to hear that Wayne Barnes would like to be a ref at World Cup 23.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Abuse to Officials?

Post by Scott1 »

Absolute disgrace! I have no problem refs being called out for their mistakes, as Wayne says it comes with the territory,but this is disgusting! Those guilty need to be named and shamed!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Do we know which game this was following, I think he did the Racing Leinster game.
As he says the line that has been crossed is not even visible. The authorities have the ability to find anyone on social media and those involved should be found and arrested simple as that.
Wayne always comes over as very decent family oriented human being. This is very many steps too far.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:04 pm Do we know which game this was following, I think he did the Racing Leinster game.
As he says the line that has been crossed is not even visible. The authorities have the ability to find anyone on social media and those involved should be found and arrested simple as that.
Wayne always comes over as very decent family oriented human being. This is very many steps too far.
France South Africa, with the controversy of the "double movement" in the try
Then followed by a Rassie breakdown I believe

https://twitter.com/GoodBadRugby/status ... VLRfQ&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Thanks TFS. Rassie doesn’t help with all this, I wonder if he’s been shown the interview.
No matter what the countries it still needs dealing with.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:07 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:04 pm Do we know which game this was following, I think he did the Racing Leinster game.
France South Africa, with the controversy of the "double movement" in the try
Then followed by a Rassie breakdown I believe

https://twitter.com/GoodBadRugby/status ... VLRfQ&s=19
I guessed it would be this game, SA rugby fans on twitter are not a particularly pleasant bunch.
It doesn't help that there are a couple SA rugby channels on youtube that solely focus on highlighting perceived incorrect decisions against them, no doubt inspired by Rassie.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The joy of bringing up a boy through the mini/youth system is that, they are taught to respect other players, always to be sporting and even if the official is a blind ,biased buffoon, he is the sole judge of fact. And Is always addressed as "sir".
Parents can get a bit excited but generally buy in to the philosophy. In fact, it is a wonderful sport at that level.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't ever upset at incompetence or bias in some officials.
Nigel Owens, so beloved of the media and modern game, now thought to be perfect, used to make my blood boil and much was researched ( and proved) to show his statistical bias against Tigers and England. Fortunately, he became fairer the longer he went on. There are certain referees who we all dread when their names are announced as officials at our games.
We suspect they are criticised when they are accessed if they make mistakes but the public, rightly or wrongly, never get to hear about it. I imagine, that is where much of the anger comes from.
Last edited by Smudge on Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A life long Tiger
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The Pau coach has been cited and looks like he will get a long ban - not acceptable

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/challe ... ch-referee
Hehehehehehehehe
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Erasmus needs to be firmly pulled down a peg or two, not only by World Rugby but by his own Union too. Refs always have and always will make mistakes, and if the likes of Erasmus publicly slate them on social networks then others will follow and there’ll be some refs who’ll think that it’s not worth it and will pack it in, as Wayne Barnes has considered doing. If it was not for referees who give their time, either to ref the extra 3rd XV or Tigers v Saints, then our game would no longer exist.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Smudge wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:38 pm The joy of bringing up a boy through the mini/youth system is that, they are taught to respect other players, always to be sporting and even if the official is a blind ,biased buffoon, he is the sole judge of fact. And Is always addressed as "sir".
Parents can get a bit excited but generally buy in to the philosophy. In fact, it is a wonderful sport at that level.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't ever upset at incompetence or bias in some officials.
Nigel Owens, so beloved of the media and modern game, now thought to be perfect, used to make my blood boil and much was researched ( and proved) to show his statistical bias against Tigers and England. Fortunately, he became fairer the long he went on. There are certain referees who we all dread when their names are announced as officials at our games.
We suspect they are criticised when they are accessed if they make mistakes but the public, rightly or wrongly, never get to hear about it. I imagine, that is where much of the anger comes from.
Smudge as Barnes says he gets it directed at him he decided to be a referee and chooses to use social media.
When people start threatening his children and sexual violence against his wife surely you must agree this is many steps too far.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Gramps wrote:
When people start threatening his children and sexual violence against his wife surely you must agree this is many steps too far.
Agreed absolutely. But there are some real idiots about.
I think it would help if controversial decisions and omissions were explained in some way and even admissions of such were
communicated, it would take the sting out of many perceived (or actual) wrongs. We can all remember them.
When years of effort and training are negated by poor officiating and heaps of money are lost because of it, we should not be too surprised when people get angry. Lets face it, it happens.
A life long Tiger
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Luke Pearce did Racing/Leinster & continued his poor form....Leinster don't need help from the officials, think Sir Wayne did Clermont's game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Does constant and insulting calling out and name calling of Officials on here not come close to being Abuse?
Similarly with some sarcastic and abusive replies on here, do they fall into that bracket.?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:21 pm Does constant and insulting calling out and name calling of Officials on here not come close to being Abuse?
Similarly with some sarcastic and abusive replies on here, do they fall into that bracket.?
Absolutely not,nowhere near,completely different stratosphere! Ridiculous,but not surprising,post!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

This sort of abuse is common on social media, especially Twitter.

The lady who was asked "where are you really from" at Buck Palace and reported it got similarly abused.

Not sure how it can be solved - unless all social media is easily identifiable/traceable and the perps dealt with if they break the law.