Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:12 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:07 pm
ay2oh wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:43 am Thought Gopperth signed a two year deal.
He did but seems to have plenty of other interests. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him go early if it suited both parties
He left Wasps because they only offered a one year deal so unlikely he would leave by choice
Things change though. He has really performed that well and with the arrival of Atkinson and the return to fitness of Kelly he has slipped further down the pecking order.
We will have to wait and see. RB makes a good point about him coaching the backs should Wigglesworth move to England and of course this may always have been the plan.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:43 am Thought Gopperth signed a two year deal.
Gopperth revealed in the Rugby journal that he signed a "1+1" deal (this was before it was revealed it was us), so he could be released this summer.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Just another method of getting a so called " Backs coach" on the cheap. Seems anyone can call themselves a "coach" without having a training qualification as mandated in football. If I am wrong please educate me?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:30 pm Just another method of getting a so called " Backs coach" on the cheap. Seems anyone can call themselves a "coach" without having a training qualification as mandated in football. If I am wrong please educate me?
Different level I know but he is head coach at a Warwickshire side, Nuneaton Old Eds I think, so he would have to be doing some coaching badges to be able to do that.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Thank you :smt023 I guess being a coach is one thing being a top coach is different gravy.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:10 pm Thank you :smt023 I guess being a coach is one thing being a top coach is different gravy.
True but you have to start somewhere and you would be amazed how few level 4 (top level) coaches there are.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think with the collapse of Wasps & Worcester and the subsequent signing of Atkinson means we'll probably not keep on Gopperth as a player...

I'd make him a kicking/skills coach next season in a heartbeat.

Atkinson needs work on his kicking as does Walsh from what I've seen.

Having someone like Gopperth work with those two and Meredith is huge, reckon Gopperth may well have been key in Atkinson's development as a player at Wasps.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Not seen this posted but thought i would add it in here. On last week's Rolling Maul podcast we said it is our understanding that both Dan Kelly and Dan Cole have signed new contracts, which is excellent news. We also said a few weeks back that it is our understanding that Jasper Wiese has signed a new deal as well, which is great news. All three are fantastic players so to get them tied down is a superb achievement by the club. Not so long ago we were losing quality players left right and centre.

On the new signing front, we also believe that OHC will be joining the club next season. Again, a fantastic bit of business and a top quality player in a position we need.

I think one of Steve's finest achievements is the squad he leaves behind, if/when he does go. It is genuinely one of the best in the league and is full of talented players in all positions. It is also full of young, top drawer talent who have built up a strong amount of experience already - Steward, Martin, JVP to name just 3 of so many. Legacy is a dangerous word, but i think that is what being built here, and what Steve deserves a huge amount of credit for. Whoever the replacement is, does not need to do much, just more clever additions and smart squad management.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 am Not seen this posted but thought i would add it in here. On last week's Rolling Maul podcast we said it is our understanding that both Dan Kelly and Dan Cole have signed new contracts, which is excellent news. We also said a few weeks back that it is our understanding that Jasper Wiese has signed a new deal as well, which is great news. All three are fantastic players so to get them tied down is a superb achievement by the club. Not so long ago we were losing quality players left right and centre.

On the new signing front, we also believe that OHC will be joining the club next season. Again, a fantastic bit of business and a top quality player in a position we need.

I think one of Steve's finest achievements is the squad he leaves behind, if/when he does go. It is genuinely one of the best in the league and is full of talented players in all positions. It is also full of young, top drawer talent who have built up a strong amount of experience already - Steward, Martin, JVP to name just 3 of so many. Legacy is a dangerous word, but i think that is what being built here, and what Steve deserves a huge amount of credit for. Whoever the replacement is, does not need to do much, just more clever additions and smart squad management.
Excellent post. I would add another name to that of Chessum who continues to impress more and more both on and off the pitch.
Average age of the team v Ospreys was 26 so as you say looking good for the future.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 am Not seen this posted but thought i would add it in here. On last week's Rolling Maul podcast we said it is our understanding that both Dan Kelly and Dan Cole have signed new contracts, which is excellent news. We also said a few weeks back that it is our understanding that Jasper Wiese has signed a new deal as well, which is great news. All three are fantastic players so to get them tied down is a superb achievement by the club. Not so long ago we were losing quality players left right and centre.

Not disagreeing with what you say but why would the club not announce players extending their contracts.
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

A cynic would say they are being saved up to counterbalance bad news.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:28 am A cynic would say they are being saved up to counterbalance bad news.
another view would be: sensible, professional PR
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:11 am

Not disagreeing with what you say but why would the club not announce players extending their contracts.
The club has always liked to batch the announcements up to have one *popcorn* day rather than release individual drips as they sign. There is probably one or two more they're trying to tie up in this batch.

For example the last announcement we made (outside signing Atkinson & Oghre from Wasps which is different due to immediately starting)
Was Steward, Van Poortvliet & Grorge Martin all on the same day.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The club likes to do things in waves of like 7.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:05 am The club likes to do things in waves of like 7.
Might also have something to do with Gary Sherrard departure