Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by sam16111986 »

Smudge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:51 am If Robertson IS available NOW, get him to TIGERS PDQ Don't waste the 2 Million get him here.
He is well proven as a coach and widely admired.
He is the stand out coach in world rugby and if England don't want him, we as sure do.
If Borths is going that is!
He's got a contract until 2024. The start of Super Rugby is on the horizon and he's the favourite to be the next AB coach. If he doesn't get the AB coach he has a release clause in his contract if offered another international coaching position. I would expect him to be an international coach after the world cup one way or another.
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

he would be great but we would just be in the same position as now in a years time again. dont want to have a manager churn as bad as what we had with players a few years ago as it will affect signing players
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 pm So for me Coaches I like who IMO are gettable
International head coaches who I think will be free by end of Rugby world cup
1. Michael Cheika
2. Dave Rennie
3. Kieran Crowley
4. Wayne Pivac
5. John Plumtree (NZ Forwards coach)
6. Paul O'Connell (Ire forwards coach)

Honestly, John Dobson is someone I really rate, typical SA coach has a big pack but the backs play good rugby,
Don't know enough about Dobson RB and but certainly would not want either Cheika or Pivac. Liked the way Glasgow played under Rennie and Crowley has all the attributes of improving a side (Italy) when he is in charge. Before we got SB I was in favour of both Plumtree and O'Connell being approached. What I do hope is that our important players have already been canvassed and that they have some input. They have to be comfortable with who we appoint in order to avoid a player exodus at the end of their contracts. I just hope that the new coach is of sufficient stature and vision to attract players to the club as SB has done.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:50 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 pm So for me Coaches I like who IMO are gettable
International head coaches who I think will be free by end of Rugby world cup
1. Michael Cheika
2. Dave Rennie
3. Kieran Crowley
4. Wayne Pivac
5. John Plumtree (NZ Forwards coach)
6. Paul O'Connell (Ire forwards coach)

Honestly, John Dobson is someone I really rate, typical SA coach has a big pack but the backs play good rugby,
Don't know enough about Dobson RB and but certainly would not want either Cheika or Pivac. Liked the way Glasgow played under Rennie and Crowley has all the attributes of improving a side (Italy) when he is in charge. Before we got SB I was in favour of both Plumtree and O'Connell being approached. What I do hope is that our important players have already been canvassed and that they have some input. They have to be comfortable with who we appoint in order to avoid a player exodus at the end of their contracts. I just hope that the new coach is of sufficient stature and vision to attract players to the club as SB has done.
Dobson would be a great shout. Very intelligent bloke, very articulate. Credited with inspiring the Stormers players.

He's written books and founded successful businesses on the side of his coaching career.

His Stormers side do play a nice brand of physical rugby.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

What is the chance that Sir Kev could fill in for Borthwick or even be the solution long term? He has had experience as a DOR albeit in the wrong code and demands respect, also giving players reason to join and stay with us.

Obviously assuming England don't pinch him!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:31 am What is the chance that Sir Kev could fill in for Borthwick or even be the solution long term? He has had experience as a DOR albeit in the wrong code and demands respect, also giving players reason to join and stay with us.

As a fill in yes. long term replacement no, as for me he is to inexperienced in this code of rugby
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:31 am What is the chance that Sir Kev could fill in for Borthwick or even be the solution long term? He has had experience as a DOR albeit in the wrong code and demands respect, also giving players reason to join and stay with us.

I always thought this was the long term plan. Just not till after WC2027
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

RE: TIGERS POST BORTHWICK - NEXT HEAD COACH?
Post by sam16111986 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:50 am

Smudge wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:51 am
If Robertson IS available NOW, get him to TIGERS PDQ Don't waste the 2 Million get him here.
He is the stand out coach in world rugby and if England don't want him, we as sure do.
He's got a contract until 2024. The start of Super Rugby is on the horizon and he's the favourite to be the next AB coach. If he doesn't get the AB coach he has a release clause in his contract if offered another international coaching position. I would expect him to be an international coach after the world cup one way or another.
It is interesting you say that Robertson has a contract until 24 and then promised the ABs. According to everything I have read, he is available now and is out of favour with the NZ hierarchy. This is the reason he has been so widely championed for the England post. If we get anything near the compensation being quoted, what is to stop us buying him out anyway?
A life long Tiger
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Smudge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:09 pm RE: TIGERS POST BORTHWICK - NEXT HEAD COACH?
Post by sam16111986 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:50 am

Smudge wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:51 am
If Robertson IS available NOW, get him to TIGERS PDQ Don't waste the 2 Million get him here.
It is interesting you say that Robertson has a contract until 24 and then promised the ABs. According to everything I have read, he is available now and is out of favour with the NZ hierarchy. This is the reason he has been so widely championed for the England post. If we get anything near the compensation being quoted, what is to stop us buying him out anyway?
Scott Robertson has stated according to this article in Rugbypass that he is contracted till 2024, but has release clauses allowing him to leave for an International role. Reading it it seems he's staying there till the World Cup, if not made All Black coach by the end of the world cup he's fair gain for International sides but NOT club sides...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/scott-ro ... -contract/
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The reality is Robinson is not coming to Tigers and some folks on here seem to be in complete denial about this. We all like to dream but thats exactly what it is.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:14 pm The reality is Robinson is not coming to Tigers and some folks on here seem to be in complete denial about this. We all like to dream but thats exactly what it is.
The reality is we are being stuffed. Proper.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:15 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:14 pm The reality is Robinson is not coming to Tigers and some folks on here seem to be in complete denial about this. We all like to dream but thats exactly what it is.
I get you griff but we have just got to crack on because the club cannot control it apart from what they demand in compensation. To that end I think they are playing hard ball which is what they should do.

As for replacement. Don’t think Robertson will come- O Connell or Dobson seem the best of the available candidates. Tigers offer them a platform for future success. Cheika- just would want too much money.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:15 pm
+1
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Some are saying Tigers’ fans might look back and think Borthwick was the best coach we’ve had!
1) Dean Richards 4 title wins and 2 European Cups.
=2) Cockerill/ Pat Howard 3 titles( think I’m right: maybe 2)
3) Chalkie White
4) Steve Borthwick ( if we’d have conquered Europe this year then certainly he’d push Deano for first spot but now we will never know!)

So who will be our next coach???????
For the team to move forward it will need to be a similar person to Borthwick with a n excellent backs and fitness coach!
Not easy at all.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:00 pm Some are saying Tigers’ fans might look back and think Borthwick was the best coach we’ve had!
1) Dean Richards 4 title wins and 2 European Cups.
=2) Cockerill/ Pat Howard 3 titles( think I’m right: maybe 2)
3) Chalkie White
4) Steve Borthwick ( if we’d have conquered Europe this year then certainly he’d push Deano for first spot but now we will never know!)

So who will be our next coach???????
For the team to move forward it will need to be a similar person to Borthwick with a n excellent backs and fitness coach!
Not easy at all.
None of them needed to get Tiger out of a hole quite as big and SB has done. I do think if is a shame SB is not staying longer to creat a longer legacy. If we can keep the under 25 year old player we have we could be a great team for many years. SB may be the best person for the England job but is the England job now the best job for SB? He has 2 world cups to produce a legacy then he has periodic media work and after dinner speaking. Waiting for another cycle would make more sense for him.