Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goshengareth

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by Goshengareth »

Sam Vesty surely?

Bearing in mind we were all aware his move to Leicester was part of his career development, I’m fairly sure the Leicester hierarchy was also. And we should be honest that the reason the RFU let us have him was to facilitate that - otherwise we might never have got him.

It would be galling to lose Aled and Sir Kev as well, but it may well have been the hook to get them to join in the first place. Worth remembering we weren’t a very appetising option 18 months ago!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

One possible issue at the moment is that the media are talking up a number of potential head coach targets, including Vestey, as possible members of the coaching team under SB.

I do think that, if we are going to be moving for a permanent signing, we need to get in there quick before England try and sweep it up for their coaching team or, indeed, before current clubs, as has started to happen, start getting new contracts signed to protect what they have.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Paul O Connell is an excellent out there call for me :smt023 Do not see Saints letting Vesty go anytime soon
Last edited by sapajo on Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:23 pm Paul O Connell is an excellent out there call for me :smt023
Great shout!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

sapajo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:23 pm Paul O Connell is an excellent out there call for me :smt023 Do not see Saints letting Vesty go anytime soon
For after the world cup?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don’t think we should have any problems recruiting a top coach now. This is not the Cockers/Mauger/MOC/Geordie basket case club of ridicule,we are current champions who looked to have fixed our mess and are an outstanding setup. Coaches should be falling over themselves to want to coach us with this setup and squad! Lloyd Grossman time but “board it’s over to you”!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

wigworth wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:26 pm
sapajo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:23 pm Paul O Connell is an excellent out there call for me :smt023 Do not see Saints letting Vesty go anytime soon
For after the world cup?
Indeed :smt023
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Welford Road Weekly from Chris Egerton suggests that he thinks Gustard may be a good fit, but that we're likely to give it to Deacon till the end of the season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Goshengareth wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:16 pm Sam Vesty surely?

Bearing in mind we were all aware his move to Leicester was part of his career development, I’m fairly sure the Leicester hierarchy was also. And we should be honest that the reason the RFU let us have him was to facilitate that - otherwise we might never have got him.

It would be galling to lose Aled and Sir Kev as well, but it may well have been the hook to get them to join in the first place. Worth remembering we weren’t a very appetising option 18 months ago!
Vesty has done nothing at Saints to make me believe he would make a good top man. Decent backs coach at best.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:45 pm Welford Road Weekly from Chris Egerton suggests that he thinks Gustard may be a good fit, but that we're likely to give it to Deacon till the end of the season.
Interesting that Diamond is pretty much completely ruled out. Gustard would be my pick if we are being realistic as to who we can get.
Notinthecounty

Post by Notinthecounty »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:45 pm Welford Road Weekly from Chris Egerton suggests that he thinks Gustard may be a good fit, but that we're likely to give it to Deacon till the end of the season.
My concern with all of this is players who have yet to sign contracts to either join us or to stay. We are in traditional contract signing time. Let’s hope we can give some positive assurances even if we have a caretaker team till the season end.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Notinthecounty wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:55 pm
My concern with all of this is players who have yet to sign contracts to either join us or to stay. We are in traditional contract signing time. Let’s hope we can give some positive assurances even if we have a caretaker team till the season end.
Lots of contract extension have been signed recently. There are always going to be some to go
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Deacon is the obvious choice having run the PRC team. Hopefully Walters and Sinfield will be there to support him.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

rumours of Leo Cullen leaving Leinster on some Irish message boards - gossip is to go to IRFU into David Nucifora's role of Performance Director - doesn't seem a sensible move to me - so putting 2+2 and getting 7 I'd say he's a shoe in to Tigers as SB's replacement
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:25 pm rumours of Leo Cullen leaving Leinster on some Irish message boards - gossip is to go to IRFU into David Nucifora's role of Performance Director - doesn't seem a sensible move to me - so putting 2+2 and getting 7 I'd say he's a shoe in to Tigers as SB's replacement
Paul O'Connell for me especially when I remembered this from December 2017.

"The Rugby Pod, a podcast hosted by former Scottish international Jim Hamilton and England fly half Andy Goode, have linked Paul O’Connell with the forwards coaching job at the Leicester Tigers"