Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by Postiger2 »

What are the club supposed to say? Some folk are so quick to jump on everything the club do
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:15 pm What are the club supposed to say? Some folk are so quick to jump on everything the club do
Some say that ignorance is bliss others disagree. There is always room for differing opinions even on here
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

sapajo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:25 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:15 pm What are the club supposed to say? Some folk are so quick to jump on everything the club do
Some say that ignorance is bliss others disagree. There is always room for differing opinions even on here
But what do you expect them to say seeing as you’ve suggested the Club should be telling us something
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

OK, it's nearly panto season so............"oh no there isnt"
Last edited by Scuttle on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I would think the club are as tiddled off as the fans. Hopefully they appoint someone who isn't going to up sticks at the first opportunity of the big job. I can absolutely understand the pull for SB, and have always thought he is a great bloke, so I just hope it doesn't prove to be his Icarus moment. I have never been a fan of Diamond but, like Baxter and McCall, he seems very grounded in doing a good job at club level.
As Good As It Gets
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:25 am
I would think the club are as tiddled off as the fans. Hopefully they appoint someone who isn't going to up sticks at the first opportunity of the big job. I can absolutely understand the pull for SB, and have always thought he is a great bloke, so I just hope it doesn't prove to be his Icarus moment. I have never been a fan of Diamond but, like Baxter and McCall, he seems very grounded in doing a good job at club level.
I wonder Scuttle how many of us could say we were fans of Borthwick before his arrival but for me it’s all about what they do in the job rather than the personality
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:38 pm
But what do you expect them to say seeing as you’ve suggested the Club should be telling us something
They could say what most 'selling clubs' do to strengthen their hand in negotiations... 'Steve is an integral part of what we're doing here. We want him to stay. He has a contract.'

And then in the background I'd ask the RFU to pay however much is required to pay off our high-interest loan.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Me and others have been speculatiing about the idea that England had a master plan to replace Jones with Borthwick

Well it seems they do and it's called Project Everest

"The term is the name given to the organisation's long-term plan to eventually replace the Australian, who has been head coach of England since 2015 and took the side to the World Cup final in Japan three years ago. The project involves developing young Premiership coaches as well as identifying the 62-year-old's successor."

I wonder if this young premiership coach was indeed Borthwick and that Tigers knew the score from the outset when we signed him?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

From the same article there was a line about rebuilding the relationship between O’Shea and Sweeney, I wasn’t aware it had ever broken down.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Baxter signs extension at Chiefs - ruling him out too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

speedski wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:38 am Baxter signs extension at Chiefs - ruling him out too
Seems to be a lot of people ruling themselves out but nobody putting their hand up. Wonder why that is ?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am
I wonder Scuttle how many of us could say we were fans of Borthwick before his arrival but for me it’s all about what they do in the job rather than the personality
This. I was very sceptical at the start as I'd never perticularly liked Borthwick as a player. TBH I never really wanted Jones coaching England either but had to concede that he did a good job up to the WC final.
Borthwick was obviously a very good coach but I didn't like the way GM was ousted. I know people will say he was not a very good coach, but actually I don't think we know whether he could have been better with the right support and time to evolve a squad.
I will say I changed my mind a bit on Borthwick, he has been a very good coach, and very focussed on his job and success. I'm just not sure what success is for him. As a tigers fan I want us to be fighting at the sharp end of europe again. Success for Borthwick might be top dog at England. I certainly don't think he has proved himself yet. Although I do think this season has been a mess that most coaches would struggle with, proof would be how he goes form here, but by the sounds of it we might never know.....
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:42 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:38 pm

They could say what most 'selling clubs' do to strengthen their hand in negotiations... 'Steve is an integral part of what we're doing here. We want him to stay. He has a contract.'

And then in the background I'd ask the RFU to pay however much is required to pay off our high-interest loan.
Even if it’s not true? We know he’s leaving so if the Club put that statement out and he left before the weekend they’d look ridiculous and get pilloried for that.

Some of the comments make it look like people live in cloud cuckoo land - I’m sure that’s not the case
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We all knew that this day would come just not so soon. If he is leaving before the six nations it gives us 6 weeks or so to get a replacement . Assuming we keep Aled and Kev we could just get someone till the end of the season like Diamond and then try to get a Southern Hemisphere coach then.
A2O
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

If England DO get SB,(and it's not yet confirmed), why don't we use the massive compensation to bring in Robinson to Tigers?
A life long Tiger