Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:55 am
Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:53 am Gustard is an interesting shout. Did pretty well at Quins but was pretty much forced out if I recall correctly? Didn't the players want to play expansively but he was quite conservative? Can't remember now!
Something along those lines but with the shackles removed they went on to win the premiership. Is Gustard now in France, an ex Tiger though many moons ago.
Assistant coach at Stade Francais.
Last edited by wigworth on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:53 am Gustard is an interesting shout. Did pretty well at Quins but was pretty much forced out if I recall correctly? Didn't the players want to play expansively but he was quite conservative? Can't remember now!
Yes. I think he wanted to get the defence right before attack. Players wanted attack first. Defence has improved but they still loose games from poor defence. If we get Gustard he can bring some history grit with him but we do need an attack coach to balance it out. I thought attack looked exciting at times on Saturday. Running lines mid field rather than out wide but making ground.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Offside wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 am
Yes. I think he wanted to get the defence right before attack. Players wanted attack first. Defence has improved but they still loose games from poor defence. If we get Gustard he can bring some history grit with him but we do need an attack coach to balance it out. I thought attack looked exciting at times on Saturday. Running lines mid field rather than out wide but making ground.
I thought I heard it was going to be Lancaster or was that just another dream of mine, hard to tell theses days
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Louis

Post by Louis »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... or-england

I am close to being moved to using naughty words.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Probably also wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Handre Pollard if he knows of any good SA coaches who might be suitable for the job which he would like to work with. I do seem to remember in an interview he did cite Borthwick as a reason he joined the club for his tactical game planning, now he is likely gone Pollards stay might be shorter than we hoped.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:11 am Probably also wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Handre Pollard if he knows of any good SA coaches who might be suitable for the job which he would like to work with. I do seem to remember in an interview he did cite Borthwick as a reason he joined the club for his tactical game planning, now he is likely gone Pollards stay might be shorter than we hoped.

This is a good point with wider ramifications. Our coaching team have made Tigers and attractive team to join again and so any new appointment is vitally important to ensure that that those players we want to keep are happy to sign again and those we have been looking to sign still see us as a viable option to join going forward.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:11 am ...I do seem to remember in an interview he did cite Borthwick as a reason he joined the club for his tactical game planning, now he is likely gone Pollards stay might be shorter than we hoped.
...and it's hard to see such thinking being confined to just one player. Pull up an anchor and all sorts of things might drift away. I'm desperately hoping that all the pundits in the media are wrong. But if not, it's back to the drawing board for us. It all leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, particularly if more established coaches at other prem. clubs are overlooked.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:22 am
wigworth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:11 am Probably also wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Handre Pollard if he knows of any good SA coaches who might be suitable for the job which he would like to work with. I do seem to remember in an interview he did cite Borthwick as a reason he joined the club for his tactical game planning, now he is likely gone Pollards stay might be shorter than we hoped.

This is a good point with wider ramifications. Our coaching team have made Tigers and attractive team to join again and so any new appointment is vitally important to ensure that that those players we want to keep are happy to sign again and those we have been looking to sign still see us as a viable option to join going forward.
Was thinking along very similar lines in terms of recruitment. Fortunately we have got a lot of our young stars on new deals recently but it does make you worry about how many potential recruits may be put off joining the club if the 3 main coaches are leaving.
Louis

Post by Louis »

I have nothing but the greatest respect for Steve Borthwick, my ignorant outsider opinion is that this is too early for him. Not because he can't do it, but because he has things to finish here at Tigers. Rob Baxter was spoken about for the England job after years of making something from Exeter, Borthwick (no matter how good) is early in that development arc.

I fear another good Tigers man being taken into the England fold and spat out again (see: Johnson, M).
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I suppose another view might be to see Borthwick occupy a very time limited caretaker role to get England beyond the 6 nations. In which case, this might not result in wholesale coach asset-striping at Tigers. Maybe I'm grasping at straws...
Last edited by markharbtiger on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

It's seemed almost inevitable since Borthwick arrived that his next job would be England, so I could accept him honouring the contract he signed with us and then seeing what his options are (who wouldn't?).

But if he leaves mid-season, before he's honoured his contract, and takes the coaching team with him... that's a different kettle of fish.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I don’t disagree it maybe too early for him but if he has been offered the job, and has always had ambitions in that direction, what is he supposed to do. Do posters really believe he was going to say thanks but no thanks give someone else a go and let’s revisit in 4 or 8 years when who knows where we will all be. He had to say Yes.

What I feel sad about is the odd comments that are starting to slip through about him jumping ship or leaving the club in the lurch. The bloke has bled Leicester Tigers for the past few seasons and dragged us up by our boot straps to a title winning club.

If you were offered the top job in your company or industry, and felt you were qualified to do it I’m sure you would jump at the opportunity
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

“ Steve must then turn to his right in the coaching box at Leicester and ask Kevin Sinfield if he will join him at HQ. A ticket of Borthwick with Sinfield is an absolute MUST (England rugby cannot afford to miss out on another league legend and arguably one of the most inspirational people in the country right now). That is a coaching ticket we could all get behind. ”

Says that Tigers/Queens legend Greenwood in the Telegraph.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:37 am I suppose another view might be to see Borthwick occupy a very time limited caretaker role to get England beyond the 6 nations. In which case, this might not result in wholesale coach asset-striping at Tigers. Maybe I'm grasping at straws...
If they were going down the caretaker route someone like O’Shea would have made more sense IMO
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:37 am It's seemed almost inevitable since Borthwick arrived that his next job would be England, so I could accept him honouring the contract he signed with us and then seeing what his options are (who wouldn't?).

But if he leaves mid-season, before he's honoured his contract, and takes the coaching team with him... that's a different kettle of fish.
Just as that looks so unattractive to us, it must look similarly unattractive to Tigers' management. Can't see that happening. I also very much doubt that he'd feel at all comfortable leaving mid-contract, as he seems much more deliberate. But who knows. We all know what decides these things in our world these days...