Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:51 am
LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:31 pm Why not Steve Diamond for Tigers, he's available and did well at Sharks and Ok at Worcs.

I think he is a similar character to SB, strong willed etc, bit of a rough diamond, again excuse the pun, who would not stand any nonsense, forward orientated, as per our strength.
Totally agree and his isn’t the favoured bid at Worcester
He might work as a good short term option until the end of the season. Longer term I'd like to see someone younger and more innovative.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:54 am
LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:31 pm Why not Steve Diamond for Tigers, he's available and did well at Sharks and Ok at Worcs.

I think he is a similar character to SB, strong willed etc, bit of a rough diamond, again excuse the pun, who would not stand any nonsense, forward orientated, as per our strength.
I would like Alex Sanderson
Doing well at Sale though, seems to have a good relationship with the owners and it’s his club.
I do agree though before Borthwicks arrival I would have been happy to see Sanderson at Tigers
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

brad thorn?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Not keen on Diamond at all. However, we're not going to be inundated with options at this point in the season are we?

I hope the compensation is significant because the RFU have absolutely knackered us here in terms of timing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:56 am

He might work as a good short term option until the end of the season. Longer term I'd like to see someone younger and more innovative.
Yet you quote McFarland who’s 4 years younger than Diamond?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:58 am Not keen on Diamond at all. However, we're not going to be inundated with options at this point in the season are we?

I hope the compensation is significant because the RFU have absolutely knackered us here in terms of timing.
Diamond has gone up in my estimation recently and as others have mentioned he is a similar no nonsense character to Borthwick.

If the latest stories are to be believed Borthwick is taking Jones and Sinfield with him the is going to leave a coaching team of Deacon, Wigglesworth and Smith, possibly Gopperth too who is doing coaching elsewhere.
We are going to need someone quick and the 2 names that spring to mind at present are Diamond and Pivac.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Postiger2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:30 pm As others have said, I'm amazed Mark McCall isn't part of the conversation. Even with the ever-so-slightly favourable conditions at Sarries, he's got an incredible CV.

Perhaps events at Sarries are the reason he (seemingly) has never been approached.

He would be an ideal appointment in my view.
I seem to recall conversations about McCall and Baxter a few years ago when Sarries and Exeter were nip and tuck in the league. I also recall them saying things like there being work to finish in their club role. I may have misremembered. I just wish SB would take the same approach rather than jumping ship at the first opportunity, albeit I absolutely do see the temptation for him.....especially if the RFU have said now or never to get their man.
As Good As It Gets
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:54 am

I would like Alex Sanderson
I never like Alex Sanderson. But I can see Diamond stepping in
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:05 am
Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:58 am Not keen on Diamond at all. However, we're not going to be inundated with options at this point in the season are we?

Diamond has gone up in my estimation recently and as others have mentioned he is a similar no nonsense character to Borthwick.

If the latest stories are to be believed Borthwick is taking Jones and Sinfield with him the is going to leave a coaching team of Deacon, Wigglesworth and Smith, possibly Gopperth too who is doing coaching elsewhere.
We are going to need someone quick and the 2 names that spring to mind at present are Diamond and Pivac.
I appreciate that he did repair his reputation at Worcester where he showed a different side to his personality but he has always struck me as a bit of a bully. I also thought his spell at Sale was solid but unspectacular, nothing inspirational. I'm not going to pretend otherwise, I just don't really like him!

I appreciate that beggars can't be choosers though. Maybe as a short term option until the end of the season but I'd like to think we're setting our sites a lot higher in the long term.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:16 am
Postiger2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:30 pm As others have said, I'm amazed Mark McCall isn't part of the conversation. Even with the ever-so-slightly favourable conditions at Sarries, he's got an incredible CV.

Perhaps events at Sarries are the reason he (seemingly) has never been approached.

He would be an ideal appointment in my view.
I seem to recall conversations about McCall and Baxter a few years ago when Sarries and Exeter were nip and tuck in the league. I also recall them saying things like there being work to finish in their club role. I may have misremembered. I just wish SB would take the same approach rather than jumping ship at the first opportunity, albeit I absolutely do see the temptation for him.....especially if the RFU have said now or never to get their man.
Agree with all of this. I just think McCall would be pretty much perfect.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I could cry 🥲
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

In the short term we really are left adrift if all the main coaching staff leave so I do think someone would need to come on board at least until the end of the season. As suggested Diamond would be an option maybe Lee Blackett or even Paul Gustard if they could be tempted away from their current employment.

Unfortunately it seems as if we maybe be back in limbo coaching wise for a couple of seasons as even if we can get a good coach after the World Cup realistically it wouldn't be until the start of the 2024 season that some stability would be re-established.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Gustard is an interesting shout. Did pretty well at Quins but was pretty much forced out if I recall correctly? Didn't the players want to play expansively but he was quite conservative? Can't remember now!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:53 am Gustard is an interesting shout. Did pretty well at Quins but was pretty much forced out if I recall correctly? Didn't the players want to play expansively but he was quite conservative? Can't remember now!
Something along those lines but with the shackles removed they went on to win the premiership. Is Gustard now in France, an ex Tiger though many moons ago.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:53 am Gustard is an interesting shout. Did pretty well at Quins but was pretty much forced out if I recall correctly? Didn't the players want to play expansively but he was quite conservative? Can't remember now!
Something like that, I am not to sure on all the details myself but I think he would be able to implement a game plan that suits us more than it maybe did Quins.