Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:12 am If he goes I’m guessing he’ll want trusted lieutenants as it’s so little time before the 6 Nations and RWC

I worry Aled will go along with Super Kev so SB can hit the ground running so to speak.

I wouldn’t blame him either but it makes it really difficult for us to recruit a whole coaching staff mid-season. Maybe we’ll get some dispensation until the end of the season and see some job share between Tigers and England in the short term.
1. I think to avoid that he may have a "look" at the current setup for the 6N to see what the current situation is. I doubt he'll want to destroy his legacy here either

2. If he doesn't do that, the fact two clubs have gone under does mean there are a number of coaches looking for work atm.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:12 am If he goes I’m guessing he’ll want trusted lieutenants as it’s so little time before the 6 Nations and RWC

I worry Aled will go along with Super Kev so SB can hit the ground running so to speak.

I wouldn’t blame him either but it makes it really difficult for us to recruit a whole coaching staff mid-season. Maybe we’ll get some dispensation until the end of the season and see some job share between Tigers and England in the short term.
Can’t see Aled working for England, South Africa different kettle of fish. Not sure it would be Sinfield first choice either, very different to working with and developing players on a daily basis.

When he goes, as it seems certain now he will, I can see the remaining coaches working as a team for the remainder of the season with a new Head Coach in place for 23/24 season.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Has Mark McCall never been mentioned for the England job ? By a considerable distance the most successful coach in the country over several years.
Ancient Mariner
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

This was my concern when we announced all the new contracts, that SB was not among them. My suspicion is that his departure for England at the end fo the season has been on the cards for a little while. Talk about Roberston and O'Gara seems to debunk that somewhat but at the back of my mind this has always been a concern.

Now I think it is simply a matter of money. Can the RFU stump up enough to buy him out of the contract, would they rather pay for an interim coach and have SB join the team at the end of the season and take over post world cup, only time will tell. If I were SB I would want to start after the world cup. He has next to no preparation time and a poor 6 nations followed by an indiferent world cup could see people calling for his head before he has even got his feet under the table.

Timing is interesting, the meeting and any announcement happening right after the last of the current round of league matches and before the start of a european campaign. I guess that if there were ever a suitable point in the season then this would be it.

Still, I cannot help but think that few can now be doubting that we will be looking for a new coach soon, though, given the current financial position, the few quid that will put in the bank could be seen as a small benefit as opposed to losing SB at the end of the season for nothing.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

ancientmariner wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:27 am Has Mark McCall never been mentioned for the England job ? By a considerable distance the most successful coach in the country over several years.
I have often wondered why he almost never gets mentioned for international jobs as he seems like the most obvious coach to step up to the international game.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but what would posters feel about Steve Diamond taking over, maybe on a consultancy basis for the remainder of the season.
Has a similar no nonsense approach to Borthwick and handled the whole Worcester thing with a very professional attitude
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:36 am I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but what would posters feel about Steve Diamond taking over, maybe on a consultancy basis for the remainder of the season.
Has a similar no nonsense approach to Borthwick and handled the whole Worcester thing with a very professional attitude
6 Months ago I would have been against it but his handling of the Worcester situation and the way the team united behind him has changed that somewhat. I suspect much will depend on whether he would want to remain involved with the other consortium to buy Worcester, especially bearing in mind the lack of progress to date from the preferred bidder.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:40 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:36 am I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but what would posters feel about Steve Diamond taking over, maybe on a consultancy basis for the remainder of the season.
6 Months ago I would have been against it but his handling of the Worcester situation and the way the team united behind him has changed that somewhat. I suspect much will depend on whether he would want to remain involved with the other consortium to buy Worcester, especially bearing in mind the lack of progress to date from the preferred bidder.
Totally agree with you here. That’s why I mentioned consultancy as he does seem committed to Worcester next season in the championship
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:12 am
GB72 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:40 am
Totally agree with you here. That’s why I mentioned consultancy as he does seem committed to Worcester next season in the championship
His bid to purchase Worcester is not the preferred bid with the Administrators, so he may well not be involved with them next season
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Noting the above I’d see Lee Blackett might be interesting as a replacement Head Coach but I’d be wary of shipping in a load of Worcester coaches just because they are out of work (and Wasps coaches to a point) given their results year on year.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:22 am Noting the above I’d see Lee Blackett might be interesting as a replacement Head Coach but I’d be wary of shipping in a load of Worcester coaches just because they are out of work (and Wasps coaches to a point) given their results year on year.
I agree, wouldn’t want Easter anywhere near the place. Diamond IMO is different, left Sale on his own terms, looked to be working well with very limited resources at Worcester, and very experienced
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Certainly common sense would suggest that, if SB leaves and if it is immediate, any recruitment of a coach currently without a job should be until the end of the season, when we can carry out our own review and see who is available.

There is no benefit to try and secure a coach already in employment at this stage. If we get a significant payout from the RFU then that will be all over the press and so every club we approach about signing a replacement will want to move as much of that cash as possible from our account to theirs.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

GB72 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:29 am Certainly common sense would suggest that, if SB leaves and if it is immediate, any recruitment of a coach currently without a job should be until the end of the season, when we can carry out our own review and see who is available.

There is no benefit to try and secure a coach already in employment at this stage. If we get a significant payout from the RFU then that will be all over the press and so every club we approach about signing a replacement will want to move as much of that cash as possible from our account to theirs.
This has been on the cards for a while so no doubt Andrea has been talking to possible replacements.
A2O
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:36 am
GB72 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:29 am Certainly common sense would suggest that, if SB leaves and if it is immediate, any recruitment of a coach currently without a job should be until the end of the season, when we can carry out our own review and see who is available.

This has been on the cards for a while so no doubt Andrea has been talking to possible replacements.
True but I suspet that any plans would have been based on appointment post world cup or at least at the end of this season and so they will have been accelerated. That said, I suspect that we may have known if SB was potentially leaving or not pretty soon after the end of the Autumn Internationals. I suspect the meeting today is a formality and any decision has already been taken.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:20 am

Can’t see Aled working for England, South Africa different kettle of fish. Not sure it would be Sinfield first choice either, very different to working with and developing players on a daily basis.

When he goes, as it seems certain now he will, I can see the remaining coaches working as a team for the remainder of the season with a new Head Coach in place for 23/24 season.
On the contrary it would suit Kev even more with his charity work.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer