Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre &/or Post World Cup)

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:19 am England have two options.
A short term appointment if their preferred option is unavailable and a longer term appointment after the World Cup when their chosen head coach may be free.

Perhaps, if they have been sounding out individuals, they have again overlooked Sean Edwards yet again.
They have spoken to Edwards mate
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:36 am
mol2 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:19 am England have two options.
A short term appointment if their preferred option is unavailable and a longer term appointment after the World Cup when their chosen head coach may be free.

Perhaps, if they have been sounding out individuals, they have again overlooked Sean Edwards yet again.
They have spoken to Edwards mate
I think the RFU just isn't ready for Edwards.....utterly clueless.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Steve has done a fantastic job with us. However if he has put all of the necessary systems in place and we keep hold of Aled and Kev. don’t see why we can’t prosper without him especially if we get a coach who is in favour of a more expansive style. Let’s face it we are a big attraction as a club for any coach and most players who want international recognition .
Would be disappointed to see him go but not the end of the world.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

IF Borthwick goes as an interim I cannot see him taking backroom with him till the summer. Hes doesn't seem hhe type to rip away our full coaching team mid season. Yes he may plan for them to join post season but if he goes midseason I expect he'll give the rest the 6N with him for him to asses the backroom team before bringing in the changes
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:19 pm Steve has done a fantastic job with us. However if he has put all of the necessary systems in place and we keep hold of Aled and Kev. don’t see why we can’t prosper without him especially if we get a coach who is in favour of a more expansive style. Let’s face it we are a big attraction as a club for any coach and most players who want international recognition .
Would be disappointed to see him go but not the end of the world.
Just remember all the obstacles and delays that the RFU placed in front of Tigers before they eventually released Steve Borthwick to Tigers.
TIgers MUST give the RFU the same treatment so if unfortunately Steve is selected then not before the end of the season, preferably never for about three years for him to build up resistance to the Suits and have a prospective future Tigers coach in tow too. :smt027
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

IFAIK both Sean Edwards and Ronan O'Gara have signed contract extensions with France and La Rochelle respectively. Makes life for the RFU a bit more difficult.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:03 pm IFAIK both Sean Edwards and Ronan O'Gara have signed contract extensions with France and La Rochelle respectively. Makes life for the RFU a bit more difficult.
The RFU have a list of excuses a mile long.... they just need to get there wallets out and get the best available.... and then give that person a full, free hand!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rob Baxter should be the next England boss, its too early for Borthwick
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:46 pm Rob Baxter should be the next England boss, its too early for Borthwick
Could not get anyone more early than Jonno
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Most of the expectations around SB seem to be based on last year’s phenomenal performance, a moment’s consideration of this season should suggest that he’s not quite ready.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

loretta wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:09 pm Most of the expectations around SB seem to be based on last year’s phenomenal performance, a moment’s consideration of this season should suggest that he’s not quite ready.
Excellent point :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

loretta wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:09 pm Most of the expectations around SB seem to be based on last year’s phenomenal performance, a moment’s consideration of this season should suggest that he’s not quite ready.
Good point.

Also... would Borthwick's uber-pragmatism be accepted at international level?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Most links I have read this morning say the same thing - Jones out today and Borthwick in. Most also say that he has been interviewed/sounded out for the job and that we are holding out for a big compensation payment - here are just 3 of the links in favour and one against.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/2316 ... coach-job/

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/huge-pay ... placement/

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... labies-job

The only one I have read which is arguing against SB is

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -CALL.html

Seems likely that we will be losing him and I just hope that we have a replacement in mind and ready to go without having to employ a consultant to "trawl the world" aka SC
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:01 am Most links I have read this morning say the same thing - Jones out today and Borthwick in. Most also say that he has been interviewed/sounded out for the job and that we are holding out for a big compensation payment - here are just 3 of the links in favour and one against.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/2316 ... coach-job/

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/huge-pay ... placement/

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... labies-job

The only one I have read which is arguing against SB is

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -CALL.html

Seems likely that we will be losing him and I just hope that we have a replacement in mind and ready to go without having to employ a consultant to "trawl the world" aka SC
TBF if we're losing a head coach midway through a season we really should be asking for a big payout...

There is a likely tangible effect on our season and whoever replaces him has not set this squad up, so on that basis we should play hard-nosed with the RFU, so long as we don't :censored: Borthwick off by him thinking we're preventing the move (but I think he understands us releasing him now is hugely different to wishing him well at the end of the season)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

If he goes I’m guessing he’ll want trusted lieutenants as it’s so little time before the 6 Nations and RWC

I worry Aled will go along with Super Kev so SB can hit the ground running so to speak.

I wouldn’t blame him either but it makes it really difficult for us to recruit a whole coaching staff mid-season. Maybe we’ll get some dispensation until the end of the season and see some job share between Tigers and England in the short term.