I think Thorburn has a point here

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

I think Thorburn has a point here

Post by tigerburnie »

Last edited by tigerburnie on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: I think Thorburn has a point heree

Post by kpj tiger »

Not sure the entirety of the blame is Beaumont's but he certainly seems to be just another suit who takes his healthy pay packet without actually doing the job so I wouldn't be sorry to see him go
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

To me this just comes across as someone who is wanting rid of the guy so he can take his job.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: I think Thorburn has a point here

Post by tigerburnie »

Pandering to the whims of the Southern hemisphere, in particular Australia has ruined the game as a competition, the description of 15 man rugby league is very close to the truth, the scrum and line out used to be a genuine competition, it ceased to be that years ago.
Last edited by tigerburnie on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:33 pm Pandering to the whims of the Southern hemisphere, in particular Australia has ruined the game as a competition, the description of 15 man rugby league is very close to the truth, the scrum and line out used to be a genuine competition, it ceased to be that years ago.
Scrums and lineouts are uncontested now? Has anyone told the Springboks?
Last edited by wigworth on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You can't contest a scrum when the 9 throws the ball in at 45 degrees straight to the second rows feet, you cannot contest a lineout when you are not allowed to touch the lifted player or those doing the lifting, they are merely re-starts now.
Last edited by tigerburnie on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm You can't contest a scrum when the 9 throws the ball in at 45 degrees straight to the second rows feet, you cannot contest a lineout when you are not allowed to touch the lifted player or those doing the lifting, they are merely re-starts now.
I guess we can save some money on props and second rows then if these are mere formalities. The laws are already in the game for the scrum, it just seems that no ref has bothered to enforce them properly for donkeys years and lineouts are generally fine and people suggesting going back to no lifting is pretty backwards thinking.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm You can't contest a scrum when the 9 throws the ball in at 45 degrees straight to the second rows feet, you cannot contest a lineout when you are not allowed to touch the lifted player or those doing the lifting, they are merely re-starts now.
Shouldn’t be any lifting - should be a jumping contest. Another change that would reduce the muscular size of players as second rows would be focused on jumping ability and scrummaging rather than just bulk.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Doddie Wear was 6' 7" and 14 stones when he won his first cap, doubt he'd get into the National leagues at that weight these days, gym moneys have sort of spoilt the inclusivity of the game. Neil Back was considered too small, criticism of George Ford not being big enough for test level, a lot of the skill has gone out of the game, battering rams getting concussed is not the game of rugby I played.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ironic that Bill Beaumont retired because of head injury/damage.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:02 pm Ironic that Bill Beaumont retired because of head injury/damage.
He was very wise and sensible….more has been done in recent years to address player welfare and more so with head injuries. There is always going to be injuries ocurring due to it being a contact sport….accidents do happen but the high tackles, forearms or shoulders to heads need to be eradicated to make it safer.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I still struggle to see how going professional has actually improved the game, a lot of the players now are to me less skillful than they were in amateur times, bigger & fitter obviously but that is large part of the problem with the game.

Sorting out the ruck area would improve safety & the spectacle of the sport, the put in at the scrum is on a par with league now.

The tone of Thorburn does come across as a bit of a manifesto of vote for me next time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The ruck is an interesting one. Most of the danger seems to come from the attacking team flying in out of control to clear out when they should stop and bind over and push. The defending team get turnovers by being in first and getting a holding on penalty as the ball is seldom released, or by actually binding and pushing over, like ducks used to be. The dynamics need to be thought about and a static bind and push, a bit like scrums are now, but not timed by the ref, could make it safer.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Offside wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:26 am The ruck is an interesting one. Most of the danger seems to come from the attacking team flying in out of control to clear out when they should stop and bind over and push. The defending team get turnovers by being in first and getting a holding on penalty as the ball is seldom released, or by actually binding and pushing over, like ducks used to be. The dynamics need to be thought about and a static bind and push, a bit like scrums are now, but not timed by the ref, could make it safer.
Certainly that’s where a lot of the red/yellow cards are coming from
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It is too much about the collision these days. Far closer to 15 man League.
I agree the ruck is a dangerous place. Jackalers face the attacking side’s support players flying in past the ruck, no attempt to bind, and it seems that as long as you don’t dive onto the ball but go beyond it like a missile you are fine. Irrespective of that missile ploy to dissuade competition for the ball out of risk for your arms or head.
If the defending side do the same it’s a penalty and a card for head contact.

It has to change. If are first in and you intentionally go beyond the ball you have to stay on your feet. If the opposition tackle/knock you over it is ok but actively going to ground/diving like see has to stop.