Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Next England Head Coach (Post World Cup)

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:26 am
wigworth wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:55 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:39 am Why can’t the club have talks with other coaches when the coach is on the England head coach shortlist???

Can’t win at times.
If the club doesn’t start getting a shortlist now then people will complain about lack of preparation
Best be prepared lest MOC is back for round 3.
Please no! I still have nightmares about the "no astone left unturned worldwide search"!
No stone was unturned but the then board ignored the recommendations because MOC was both cheap and a known quantity. A decision still deriding and mocked as it was by many at the time.

Having said that I'm not sure Lancaster would have been an ideal candidate for Tigers. There remains many stories of his England reign where meetings about future meetings were both common place and lengthy. I'd imagine Borthwick is a bit more concise in his arrangements.

It'll be interesting to see if we go for another forward orientated head coach or look for someone with an attacking or backs coaching background as those are areas in need of improvement. The other obvious option is let Sir Kev manage a coaching team but add in some experience underneath him.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"No stone was unturned but the then board ignored the recommendations because MOC was both cheap and a known quantity. A decision still deriding and mocked as it was by many at the time."

You say that but there was nothing in the original remit about having to have Prem experience,that was conveniently added later!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:14 pm "No stone was unturned but the then board ignored the recommendations because MOC was both cheap and a known quantity. A decision still deriding and mocked as it was by many at the time."

You say that but there was nothing in the original remit about having to have Prem experience,that was conveniently added later!
And there was one poster on here who derided MOC in his first tenure as a phoney............
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:14 pm "No stone was unturned but the then board ignored the recommendations because MOC was both cheap and a known quantity. A decision still deriding and mocked as it was by many at the time."

And there was one poster on here who derided MOC in his first tenure as a phoney............
We would’ve been better off keeping Mauger!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We would have been better off not sacking Cocker.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:09 pm We would have been better off not sacking Cocker.
He was past his sell by date,absolutely the correct decision. But it was farcical from then on for a while
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:30 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:09 pm We would have been better off not sacking Cocker.
He was past his sell by date,absolutely the correct decision. But it was farcical from then on for a while
I think the role of a certain World cup winner as a member of the Board may bear historical examination, and the player power of the time, alongside the penny-pinching and hubris at the board level.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:44 pm
I think the role of a certain World cup winner as a member of the Board may bear historical examination, and the player power of the time, alongside the penny-pinching and hubris at the board level.
Certainly a lot has to be taken into consideration but the time was right for him to go,the LI home loss always stands out to me. I didn’t partake in it myself,never have,but I’ve never heard that much booing and discontent at WR in all the times I’ve been there. Even after some of the drubbings we got there. I can’t remember how long he lasted after that but it just stands out for some reason. But his time was up,definitely. Always thankful for what he did though,incredible times!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:44 pm
I think we can agree that there were many things wrong at all levels of the club and the worst decision at the time is that we did not use a big enough broom to do the clearout when everything from top to bottom needed looking at.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Going back to a coach who was tried tested and found wanting summed us up at that time.
Too many average but influential players and a board with no ability to see what was wrong with the coaching setup.

I would hope the current board have more insight and won’t pay heed to the wants of players and junior coaches.

If only we could afford Mark McCaul if we lose Borthwick
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The disciplinary commission of the FFR (French Rugby Federation) has just hit O'Gara with a ten-week suspension and a fine of €20000 for bringing the game into disrepute, in excessively criticising and complaining about referees.

He's the Top14's equivalent of Erasmus, and apparently is on the shortlist to take over from Eddie Jones (or maybe he "was" on the shortlist!).
Semper in excretia
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I feel Borthwick will be the man who gets the job after the next guy (if that makes sense). I'm a huge fan of SB but agree with the earlier comment that he probably has a bit more to prove at club level first. I do think he'll do exactly that though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I don't think it is a bad idea for Robertson to get blooded internationally somewhere other than NZ, somewhere where he won't have such pressure from the NZ press to be the next great saviour of the ABs.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

wigworth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:24 pm I don't think it is a bad idea for Robertson to get blooded internationally somewhere other than NZ, somewhere where he won't have such pressure from the NZ press to be the next great saviour of the ABs.
He could follow a well traveled path to Wales then.
To win is not as important as playing with style!