Return to profit????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Return to profit????

Post by trendylfj »

I have to say that I am pleased to see that we only lost £1.86 million last year - a much-improved situation from the previous years when the club played behind closed doors and lost £5.9M, but ask myself what will it take to return to profit. We can't keep going losing money every year. If the reports I read some time ago are to be believed, we owe £30M approx. I don't know if that is true or when it needs to be repaid but if we can't make a profit when we win the title we have some hard selling to do somewhere. I haven't read the balance sheet so if someone can enlighten me I would be grateful.
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Return to profit????

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Of the £1.86mil lost over £1.1mil was depreciation of assets.

So operating loss of only in the region of £700k I think is pretty good.

The loss includes payments against loans from my understanding. So we're paying our loans off on time I think.

A good thread on our situation written by a fellow fan is here.
https://twitter.com/spkeene/status/1588 ... BrFHg&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Loans and overdrafts are £18.1m (p.5 of the Annual Report). The two biggest chunks are from HSBC and government (DCMS).

The HSBC loan of £7.1m is being repaid, but that'll get tougher. It's linked to the Bank of England base rate so the interest rate will have increased significantly over recent months.

The DCMS loan of £6.9m isn't being repaid yet. We have an interest-free period until March 2023, so we'll see that impact next year's accounts.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:01 pm Loans and overdrafts are £18.1m (p.5 of the Annual Report). The two biggest chunks are from HSBC and government (DCMS).

The HSBC loan of £7.1m is being repaid, but that'll get tougher. It's linked to the Bank of England base rate so the interest rate will have increased significantly over recent months.

The DCMS loan of £6.9m isn't being repaid yet. We have an interest-free period until March 2023, so we'll see that impact next year's accounts.
Yes, we also have £2m of "loan notes" from Peter Tom/Tom Scott bearing 5% and apparently due to be redeemed within the year.

We also paid £2m of tax which was delayed from the periods of the lock down, this was included in the £30m debt figure (which was actually all liabilities) mentioned higher in the thread. Our balance on taxes owed is still slightly higher than pre-covid but as we now run our own shop we will be paying more VAT so timing differences etc will mean a higher carrying figure.

We definitely need to get back into "cash positive" or profits before depreciation being higher than interest payments asap. As we're effectively a non-profit organisation we don't need to make an accounting profit from which to pay a dividend but we do need to generate more cash than we use over the medium term.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The report mentions the first bit of revenue coming in from the hotel. I can't recall what the deal was with its construction... what exactly does the club own?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:46 am The report mentions the first bit of revenue coming in from the hotel. I can't recall what the deal was with its construction... what exactly does the club own?
The club own the land the Hotel sits upon and charges them ground rent for the privilege.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks, @sapajo.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:02 am Thanks, @sapajo.
Your most welcome :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63569866
I saw this on the BBC. I was under the impression that Exeter were very solvent. It appears that there are a lot of financial issues surrounding even the most apparently stable clubs.
There is never any points for 2nd place...