Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:06 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:15 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:06 pm I do think we need a genuine openside rotation option to prevent us having to use Hanro at 7 where he is nowhere near as effective as TommyT. If you had options at 7 of TommyT and Willis (for example) then that would be an ideal, from my perspective.
Ilione is great over the ball
Is Ilione still "part time" whilst his university studies are ongoing? Genuine question. :smt001
Probably a state secret that one....maybe you find out with the Crypto Grifto.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: New fly half?

Post by fleabane »

An excellent, forward looking move (if it’s true)!
Valhalla I am coming!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Options Wasps and Worcester for me
LH: West
TH: Ryan (Cronin link up would be good)
LK: Launchbury (Quins though), Stooke
BR: J.Willis (If Reffell is going), T.Willis (Ulster sounds like), Hill
FH: Atkinson
C: Hartley, Spink, Odendaal,
FB: Shillcock, Heward
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Really surprised no body has mentioned Bassett as an option, seem exact may the kind of wing Borthwick would want. Great kick chase, fast, strong, and not going to be away during the internationals. Would be a great pick up with Nandolo leaving.
Only other players I really see as options with currently contracts and player ages are Attkins great replacement for burns, 21 got a season of premiership rugby with a season to learn from Pollard. I wouldn’t mind both the Willis brothers but think jack would probably be to much money for the games he’ll miss with England, so think Hill is the better option, and Have just given Janson a new contract probably rules amout tom.
Tacticalbeard
Tiger Cub

Post by Tacticalbeard »

Bassett also has a habit of scoring tries against us, so why not have him scoring for us instead :smt002
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:36 pm Really surprised no body has mentioned Bassett as an option, seem exact may the kind of wing Borthwick would want. Great kick chase, fast, strong, and not going to be away during the internationals. Would be a great pick up with Nandolo leaving.
Only other players I really see as options with currently contracts and player ages are Attkins great replacement for burns, 21 got a season of premiership rugby with a season to learn from Pollard. I wouldn’t mind both the Willis brothers but think jack would probably be to much money for the games he’ll miss with England, so think Hill is the better option, and Have just given Janson a new contract probably rules amout tom.
I mentioned Bassett in the Nadolo leaving thread. Not really an upgrade on what we already have but a proven premiership record.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bassett gone to Quins,solid if unspectacular. Will do a job for you I suppose
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:41 am
Stephen18 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:36 pm Really surprised no body has mentioned Bassett as an option, seem exact may the kind of wing Borthwick would want. Great kick chase, fast, strong, and not going to be away during the internationals. Would be a great pick up with Nandolo leaving.
I mentioned Bassett in the Nadolo leaving thread. Not really an upgrade on what we already have but a proven premiership record.
It appeared to me last night that Tigers were grooming Saumaki for Nadolo's role, in the first half they gave him loads of ball on the wing (playing 11) than any previous game I have seen, they also used him quite a lot coming inside and taking crash ball.
He does not look robust enough to me for the crash ball role, he has dancing feet, made quite a few yards, but I'm not sure, his handling is not too great, he certainly has something but I don't think its Prem level and he is quite old to be starting out.
Shelley looked quick, but playing 14 he didn't see much of the ball, made some good tackles though. He needs time but wont be a replacement for Nadolo.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:39 pm
It appeared to me last night that Tigers were grooming Saumaki for Nadolo's role, in the first half they gave him loads of ball on the wing (playing 11) than any previous game I have seen, they also used him quite a lot coming inside and taking crash ball.
He does not look robust enough to me for the crash ball role, he has dancing feet, made quite a few yards, but I'm not sure, his handling is not too great, he certainly has something but I don't think its Prem level and he is quite old to be starting out.
Shelley looked quick, but playing 14 he didn't see much of the ball, made some good tackles though. He needs time but wont be a replacement for Nadolo.
I don’t honestly think that Saumaki and Murimurivalu at this stage in their careers is up to playing Premiership level regularly and at 31 and 33 respectively I think their best days are past them. Personally I would take Bassett over either of them, but that ship has now sailed.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:57 pm

I don’t honestly think that Saumaki and Murimurivalu at this stage in their careers is up to playing Premiership level regularly and at 31 and 33 respectively I think their best days are past them. Personally I would take Bassett over either of them, but that ship has now sailed.
2 try’s in 29 games for Bassett last season mate,97% starter too. Nadolo and Ashton have 2 try’s already this season,in 4 and 5 games respectively.That makes Topsy Ojo look prolific! In a team that throws it around. Not for me,past his best now,would be a decent squad player I suppose. Watch him be prolific for Quins now 🤦‍♀️
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:12 pm

2 try’s in 29 games for Bassett last season mate,97% starter too. Nadolo and Ashton have 2 try’s already this season,in 4 and 5 games respectively.That makes Topsy Ojo look prolific! In a team that throws it around. Not for me,past his best now,would be a decent squad player I suppose. Watch him be prolific for Quins now 🤦‍♀️
Surprised at that, tbh, my memory must be of previous seasons when I imagine he was getting more ball. Quins like to give their wingers lots of space so you never know.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:17 pm

Surprised at that, tbh, my memory must be of previous seasons when I imagine he was getting more ball. Quins like to give their wingers lots of space so you never know.
He was more prolific when he was younger,his overall try record is actually quite good!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:18 pm

He was more prolific when he was younger,his overall try record is actually quite good!
30 year old Saumaki has scored 11 tries in 15 Tigers games (according to our website).

Bassett is the same age and in a more attacking team delivering significantly less. Bassett has also played a lot of Prem seasons which are harder on the body than playing on Japan which is where Saumaki has largely played. He's a good club player and a handy pick up for Quins who have some injuries in the back three but not someone we need or who I'd make sacrifices to get into the squad. Immanuel Feyi-Waboso though, he'd be an interesting pick up.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:18 pm

30 year old Saumaki has scored 11 tries in 15 Tigers games (according to our website).

Bassett is the same age and in a more attacking team delivering significantly less. Bassett has also played a lot of Prem seasons which are harder on the body than playing on Japan which is where Saumaki has largely played. He's a good club player and a handy pick up for Quins who have some injuries in the back three but not someone we need or who I'd make sacrifices to get into the squad. Immanuel Feyi-Waboso though, he'd be an interesting pick up.
4 in one PRC game to the best of my knowledge, point still stands in his 2nd season with he has yet to make significant improvements IMO. It may of course be that he needs to play regularly with better players, his strength is certainly his finishing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The one name I haven’t seen mentioned, may have missed it , is Paolo Odogwu.
Definite X factor