LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Rugbygramps »

This probably sounds mercenary, but these guys are currently unemployed. I doubt we are that far down the recruitment stage for next season. If we can offer them something this season, doubt it would be very much, with a guaranteed proper contract from next July, at least they can continue doing what they love.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:09 pm This probably sounds mercenary, but these guys are currently unemployed. I doubt we are that far down the recruitment stage for next season. If we can offer them something this season, doubt it would be very much, with a guaranteed proper contract from next July, at least they can continue doing what they love.
It's not mercenary, these guys need to make a living put themselves in the shop window for next season. Without a cap exemption (which won't come for fear of more clubs going to the wall) then to stay in the UK they will get paid less, but clubs cannot magic cap space. They can only offer what space they have and see if the player wants to take it.

In some ways the players may be willing to take less than may be offered if it means one of their clubmates also gets a contract.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Jack Willis to Tigers?

Post by RagingBull »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:55 pm Suspect it’s just click bait .
Telegraph don’t tend to do click bait rumours to be fair especially Charlie Morgan.

Interesting he mentions 3 more
Tom West would be perfect EQP in a position of needs imo.
West/Cronin fighting 1 and 2 with Whitcombe coming up
Jack Willis IF Reffell contract situation is tough
Hartley
Would be my 3 others of choice
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

The links to Atkinson make sense. He plays 10 but can play 15, he has a lot of experience but is still very young. Burns is out of contract at the end of the season and we will need a quality replacement given Pollard’s international call ups (and injury record).

Atkinson will want to stay in England to be selected nationally and has been in training squads in the past. He lives in the area. He knows Borthwick turns club players into test match players.

The telegraph article also references the cap freed up by Nadolo and Hegarty leaving mid season. Saracens mentioned as well. That makes sense with Goode soon to retire and Malins off to Bristol.

Would be a very good addition and an upgrade on Shillcock.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:24 pm The links to Atkinson make sense. He plays 10 but can play 15, he has a lot of experience but is still very young. Burns is out of contract at the end of the season and we will need a quality replacement given Pollard’s international call ups (and injury record).

Atkinson will want to stay in England to be selected nationally and has been in training squads in the past. He lives in the area. He knows Borthwick turns club players into test match players.

The telegraph article also references the cap freed up by Nadolo and Hegarty leaving mid season. Saracens mentioned as well. That makes sense with Goode soon to retire and Malins off to Bristol.

I'm still hoping Atkinson would be in addition to Shillcock...
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Not sure how I feel about Atkinson if it is true on the one hand he’s a great player going forward and very exciting and also wouldn’t be away with England. With his age he hasn’t stopped developing either however I don’t think he’s as good as some make out. He’s always got an error in him I’m not sure about his defensive capability and I’m not sure he’d fit into our system either hopefully the coaching team would rectify those weak points but I’ve never been as excited about him as others seem to have been
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Atkinson and Shillcock for Burns and Hegarty end of season would be good money ball imo.

Granted would rather keep Burns but now he’s won the Prem could see him looking at somewhere like France or Japan again.

10 Pollard, Atkinson, Shillcock, Gopperth, Meredith, Walsh
15 Steward, Shillcock, Atkinson, Walsh

Is pretty good
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

amazing tiger wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:00 pm Not sure how I feel about Atkinson if it is true on the one hand he’s a great player going forward and very exciting and also wouldn’t be away with England. With his age he hasn’t stopped developing either however I don’t think he’s as good as some make out. He’s always got an error in him I’m not sure about his defensive capability and I’m not sure he’d fit into our system either hopefully the coaching team would rectify those weak points but I’ve never been as excited about him as others seem to have been
Amazing tiger you just described Freddie Burns.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:24 pm The links to Atkinson make sense. He plays 10 but can play 15, he has a lot of experience but is still very young. Burns is out of contract at the end of the season and we will need a quality replacement given Pollard’s international call ups (and injury record).

I wonder if this is why we'd heard nothing further on Shillcock; similar players but Aktinson being potentially available (and now very available) would have slowed the process down. More potential and a fair bit younger.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:46 pm

I'm still hoping Atkinson would be in addition to Shillcock...
Same.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I wonder if this thought has gone through anyone's head - ask if Nadolo or Hegarty wants to go even earlier in order to free up more cap? They may be interested but it would depend on what terms they wanted. No good if it does not free up a reasonable amount of cap so as to enable SB more negotiating room with new players who have become available. I would hope that Nadolo didn't go as we will need him for the early HC games but could see us not using Hegerty much before Xmas and he may be interested in an even early return.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:01 pm I wonder if this thought has gone through anyone's head - ask if Nadolo or Hegarty wants to go even earlier in order to free up more cap? They may be interested but it would depend on what terms they wanted. No good if it does not free up a reasonable amount of cap so as to enable SB more negotiating room with new players who have become available. I would hope that Nadolo didn't go as we will need him for the early HC games but could see us not using Hegerty much before Xmas and he may be interested in an even early return.
Nadolo will have started in Australia by the time HC starts in December
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:01 pm I wonder if this thought has gone through anyone's head - ask if Nadolo or Hegarty wants to go even earlier in order to free up more cap? They may be interested but it would depend on what terms they wanted. No good if it does not free up a reasonable amount of cap so as to enable SB more negotiating room with new players who have become available. I would hope that Nadolo didn't go as we will need him for the early HC games but could see us not using Hegerty much before Xmas and he may be interested in an even early return.
I suspect there's no point in releasing Hegarty early. He'll presumably have planned when he's returning home and wants to be employed (and paid) until that point as I doubt Force will pay him until the first day of their pre-season! Also, there's a chance his salary won't count anyway if he doesn't feature against Bath or Irish.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

amazing tiger wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:00 pm Not sure how I feel about Atkinson if it is true on the one hand he’s a great player going forward and very exciting and also wouldn’t be away with England. With his age he hasn’t stopped developing either however I don’t think he’s as good as some make out. He’s always got an error in him I’m not sure about his defensive capability and I’m not sure he’d fit into our system either hopefully the coaching team would rectify those weak points but I’ve never been as excited about him as others seem to have been
Defensively Atkinson is very good (for a flyhalf), looks like he's bulked up over the summer as well. Can also play at 12 in an emergency. I think he's a pretty decent all rounder and it's why he's supplanted Umaga as Wasps go to at flyhalf.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:06 pm
I suspect there's no point in releasing Hegarty early. He'll presumably have planned when he's returning home and wants to be employed (and paid) until that point as I doubt Force will pay him until the first day of their pre-season! Also, there's a chance his salary won't count anyway if he doesn't feature against Bath or Irish.
We could pay him the remainder of the contract for an early release, i.e. before he's fit to play again. He then wouldn't count towards the cap.