Worcester’s woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:59 pm https://twitter.com/RugbyWorcs/status/1 ... Cmo4g&s=19

Some genuinely positive news...

The two cowboys have today been removed as directors from MQ Property Ltd. (The company set up by the cowboys that owned Sixways) and that is now under the control of the administrators.

So sounds like all facilities will be going with the club sale...
That is good news, now I guess we see how real the interested parties intentions are. Seems to be few hurdles now if there is a deal to be done. Administration in place, facilities included, pretty much everything that was asked for and so it now needs some speedy actions to try and secure a future for the club. I suppose the only hurdle now is those P shares which people have been very quiet on. Get those included and we shall see whether the offers are real this time.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Indeed the administrators said they have two parties interested in the purchase. We'll sit tight and see.

As I see it there are two routes rugby can happen.

1. If they act fast, new owners in place, they offer all staff from the liquidated WRFC Players company an identical contract for the club under new ownership. Many would probably sign, then increase squad from some free agents etc, they then can fulfil their commitments this season.
Risks. Getting players, getting staff, will they lose P Shares, rushing contracts if relegated may over extend them next year in the Championship.

2. Take a slightly slower. New owners in place, play get the womens side back playing, leave the mens side this season, start recruiting a squad for next season in the championship. Risks very limited income for next 11 months, overheads without income is tricky so it would need capital to cover that up front

Think option 2 is more likely but both are fraught with risks. We'll see how negotiations pan out soon.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Would suggest it would need either deep pockets or a dramatic change in the business to make it a going concern.

I think for the sake of good PR if a "Phoenix" club rises this season the "Covid" loan & tax bill need paying off, its public money after all. (in the grand scheme it isn't a huge amount but in wouldn't be a great background for a relaunch)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 pm Would suggest it would need either deep pockets or a dramatic change in the business to make it a going concern.

I think for the sake of good PR if a "Phoenix" club rises this season the "Covid" loan & tax bill need paying off, its public money after all. (in the grand scheme it isn't a huge amount but in wouldn't be a great background for a relaunch)
I suppose this is the harsh reality when you look at saving a club, should it not be about whether you can and be about whether you should. Sport, due to history and fans, creates a degree or sentimentality that does not exist in other business ventures. Can Worcester be made into a club that is at least self sufficient. Can it ever be more than an 'also ran' club that develops players that then head off to those with deeper pockets. Does the league need clubs to make up the numbers or clubs with the support and backing to look to challenge for the top 4. All of these are unpopular but, I think, salient questions when it comes to the product as a whole. Also, from an investment point of view, would a weakened Worcester side actually get out of the championship with the teams challenging already and with other clubs already having solid loan agreements with the top clubs to ensure that they are fighting at or around the top.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:56 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 pm Would suggest it would need either deep pockets or a dramatic change in the business to make it a going concern.

I suppose this is the harsh reality when you look at saving a club, should it not be about whether you can and be about whether you should. Sport, due to history and fans, creates a degree or sentimentality that does not exist in other business ventures. Can Worcester be made into a club that is at least self sufficient. Can it ever be more than an 'also ran' club that develops players that then head off to those with deeper pockets. Does the league need clubs to make up the numbers or clubs with the support and backing to look to challenge for the top 4. All of these are unpopular but, I think, salient questions when it comes to the product as a whole. Also, from an investment point of view, would a weakened Worcester side actually get out of the championship with the teams challenging already and with other clubs already having solid loan agreements with the top clubs to ensure that they are fighting at or around the top.
Worcester average attendances are higher than the capacity of all the current Championship grounds.

Yes were they to get relegated there may be some who stop going, but conversely I think there will be more people who go now they realise how close they were to losing the club.

Based on that I think they are definitely likely to compete at Championship level as their income would be higher. I also think the name will attract players especially some of the current crop like Ted Hill who may go elsewhere but have a huge affinity to the club.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/mdmaylwin/status/15 ... QaK2A&s=19

A twitter post from the Guardian investigation showing the ownership structure of the various companies set up to run (strip assets from) Worcester
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I do feel it would be better for Worcester to have a while to get everything in order and then come back as a championship club for 23/24 season post RWC. I don’t think they would have any difficulty in assembling a squad, given the number of ex professional players without contracts. They also have a number of excellent feeder clubs within a relatively short distance all of whom have players who will be keen to show they have what it takes. Birmingham/Mosely, Stourbridge, Bromsgrove, Bournville, Luctonions, to name a few.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RFU confirm suspended for rest of the season and relegated to the championship
RichG
Tiger Cub

Post by RichG »

I wonder if the suspension for the remainder of the season is to allow fixtures to be rehashed, given 2 teams are currently not playing each round. Gives Tigers a chance to play someone else on 5th November and not have 2 consecutive bye rounds.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RichG wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:35 pm I wonder if the suspension for the remainder of the season is to allow fixtures to be rehashed, given 2 teams are currently not playing each round. Gives Tigers a chance to play someone else on 5th November and not have 2 consecutive bye rounds.
Doubt it tbh, think it most likely they'll leave as is, too many complications and commitments made. That said whilst it's not ideal the two bye weeks for us.

One of our games vs Worcester is during the AI period where all internationals would be missing and the other is during the England training prior to the 6N starting where we'd be without England Internationals.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

A bit of information from the inside
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/pr ... ef44ce2869
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:58 am
RichG wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:35 pm I wonder if the suspension for the remainder of the season is to allow fixtures to be rehashed, given 2 teams are currently not playing each round. Gives Tigers a chance to play someone else on 5th November and not have 2 consecutive bye rounds.
Doubt it tbh, think it most likely they'll leave as is, too many complications and commitments made. That said whilst it's not ideal the two bye weeks for us.

One of our games vs Worcester is during the AI period where all internationals would be missing and the other is during the England training prior to the 6N starting where we'd be without England Internationals.
Has it been announced what is happening to points for Worcester games. I suppose they can either declare the games so far null and void and remove any points won, or award all games yet to be played as walkovers and award 5 points per game to the opposition
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:51 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:58 am

Has it been announced what is happening to points for Worcester games. I suppose they can either declare the games so far null and void and remove any points won, or award all games yet to be played as walkovers and award 5 points per game to the opposition
Fixtures already played null and void, I read somewhere.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

From Guardian 6th Oct

Though there is hope of soon reviving Worcester’s women’s side, there is now no prospect of top-flight men’s rugby at Sixways until the 2024-25 season at the earliest unless the Warriors can successfully appeal against automatic relegation. It is understood that Worcester’s results so far this season will be scratched.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63234851

Worcester set to appeal against Suspension and relegation.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk