Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Post by Big Dai »

Both Marler and Earl deserve a slap......it's because giving them good hiding is illegal they can behave as they do.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:00 pm Both Marler and Earl deserve a slap......it's because giving them good hiding is illegal they can behave as they do.
Sorry, but that’s the attitude that’s killing the game. Not sure whether you’re serious or engaging in ‘banter’ - but amounts to the same in the end.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:12 pm
Big Dai wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:00 pm Both Marler and Earl deserve a slap......it's because giving them good hiding is illegal they can behave as they do.
Sorry, but that’s the attitude that’s killing the game. Not sure whether you’re serious or engaging in ‘banter’ - but amounts to the same in the end.
Slightly disagree there should still be a certain element of self policing in the game, certainly not a good hiding.
It’s the reason that Earl and Marler are the wind up merchants they are because they know they will get away with it.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

In the past this sort of behaviour wasn't tolerated in the game, along with sly cheating (holding people in rucks, mauls) the game self policed itself & only the idiot did it twice, "Sir" was dismissive of complaints, there was a difference between thuggery & policing, the game is worse for the tolerance of the morons. This trickles down the game as much as the odd "slap" & it's an interesting discussion over what makes the game worse.

This is almost certainly an unpalatable view for some but the old phrase "Rugby a game for Ruffians played by Gentlemen" was how it used to be.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Really not sure about that Chris!!! I think it could be argued that lots of other things are far more likely to be "killing the game"....eg. concussion concerns, the TMO, scrum re-sets, financial impropriety, water carriers, the over complicated laws....etc..

What Dai means is that a few years ago when someone was acting with the outright petulance of Earl, someone in the opposition (or sometimes his own team) would give him a little reminder that rugby players don't behave like spoilt brats. That's no longer possible due to all the TV cameras, regrettably.

You don't get that sort of petulant behaviour in local rugby, in my experience, for good reasons!!
Soggypitch
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Maybe this is partly a personal perspective, I find it rather unedifying listening to the old geezer propping up the bar in rugby clubs telling tall tales about ‘the good old days’ of self-policing, together with alcohol-related anecdotes that haven’t changed a great deal from yet 1970s.

However, I do also talk to plenty of parents whose kids are getting into the game…and I’m absolutely convinced it’s off putting to many.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:13 pm Maybe this is partly a personal perspective, I find it rather unedifying listening to the old geezer propping up the bar in rugby clubs telling tall tales about ‘the good old days’ of self-policing, together with alcohol-related anecdotes that haven’t changed a great deal from yet 1970s.

However, I do also talk to plenty of parents whose kids are getting into the game…and I’m absolutely convinced it’s off putting to many.
And yet these same parents will get their kids to play football where it goes on a least as much. Scrape down the Achilles, leave your foot in on someone’s shin.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

If you behave like a benzadrine baboon on the pitch you deserve "feedback". Too often in the game today it's the bag snatchers and wind up merchants who get away with murder whilst those who retaliate receive a heavier sanction.

If that "feedback" can't come in a physical form then it should be penalised by the authorities. (AKA Sir) We are getting a bit socceresque. Celebrating the award of penalties, constant squealing at Sir not to mention diving and drawing attention to alleged head high challenges.

As an "Old geezer" I find this all very distasteful. Perhaps better role models would help those disenchanted parents to reconsider their options?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree, Chris, the game has moved on. Having been censored, I'd better phrase this carefully, however. We still have the problem of Earl and others excessive celebrating, mockery of opponents and general ungentlemanly behaviour. The referees already sanction things such as patting opposition players on the head, perhaps there needs to be a broad definition of poor behaviour that warrants punishment by them?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Could you imagine Earl screaming, as he does in the face of Jonno or Julian White?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:17 pm Could you imagine Earl screaming, as he does in the face of Jonno or Julian White?
Thank you for the images Jimmy!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:17 pm Could you imagine Earl screaming, as he does in the face of Jonno or Julian White?
There will be those - hopefully in the minority, who accept the extremely uncouth behaviour of players like Earl as « geeing themselves and their team mates up ». If this lout had been around in Jonno and Julian’s day, his mouth would have been well and truly shut. However, in today’s game with cameras covering every conceivable angle in the pitch, he knows full well that his opponent would get a red card. I doubt if there’s a law against « motivating » your teammates, but I’d like to see World Rugby persuade coaches/DoR/referees to clamp down on this unnecessary and offensive behaviour, which is spoiling the spectacle, particularly for this old-fashioned supporter of our game.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:37 pm
There will be those - hopefully in the minority, who accept the extremely uncouth behaviour of players like Earl as « geeing themselves and their team mates up ». If this lout had been around in Jonno and Julian’s day, his mouth would have been well and truly shut. However, in today’s game with cameras covering every conceivable angle in the pitch, he knows full well that his opponent would get a red card. I doubt if there’s a law against « motivating » your teammates, but I’d like to see World Rugby persuade coaches/DoR/referees to clamp down on this unnecessary and offensive behaviour, which is spoiling the spectacle, particularly for this old-fashioned supporter of our game.
There is a law against unsportsmanlike behaviour though, which Earl, Itoje, Marler, even our own Dan Kelly, and a few others have been known to break.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:27 pm
Thank you for the images Jimmy!
An entertaining image for most on this forum, no doubt. My original point was that it would not land so well with those who will be the future of the game. Any kid playing junior rugby would ask “Julian who?”. He retired before many of them were born….and frankly was becoming an anachronism in the professional game even before he retired.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

If you do not clamp down on the behaviour of these childish shouting in the face antics and indeed the shirt pulling etc. instead of the old style retaliatory action you get the new style retaliation which in my view is worse as it makes the game a joke…… I refer of course to the diving when your shirt is pulled which would be worthy of Jurgen Klinsman himself, or the holding your eye and falling down as if shot by a sniper when someone rubs your hair.
I think warnings should be issued early in games and followed by yellows given to those in any form of wind up .. this would stamp it out early.
I have never understood the notion of sending someone off for retaliation without the same sanction applying to whatever caused the retaliation.
For example whilst I think it was a start that Johnny Hill got his yellow for hair pulling v The Aussies, I think he should have joined his victim with a red card!
Violence is rightly ruled out of our game now but we have been left with those who still try to incite it. It’s like locking up an idiot bloke who threw a brick in a riot but without dealing with the agitator who stood behind him egging him on.