Worcester’s woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by Old Hob »

In Wales, the BBC has a programme called "Ruck Stars" which showcases emerging talent. I think it's a bit like the talent shows (I must confess, I haven't watched one).
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

This is it, rugby clubs play about with social media and are decent at producing some content for the existing fans but it needs something more.

Imagine England win well over the Autumn and you have Freddie Steward, JVP etc on instagram straight after sharing some inside footage whilst also reminding people to come and watch them at Tigers. Great PR

rugby needs to be so much better at letting the cameras in, both professional and amateur. Being a sport that has always been in the shadows has meant that clubs have been able to avoid this but in order to grow this has to change.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:53 am I am still in support of a far greater use of social media. We get some htat will appear to existing fans but nothing that is going to grab the attention of new young fans. Get the influencers, the instagrammers, the tik tokkers the lot into the ground posting live streams etc. These people know how to reach out to a social media audience and get their attention and all at the cost of a few tickets.

And before the comments about 'I do not use social media' or ' that would not do anything for me' it is not meant for us, it is meant to try and find a new audience. This is, basically, the modern version of sending players out to schools that was mentioned earlier. Rugby clubs have, in my eyes, traditioanally been run behind closed doors and need to change as it is all now about access. The behind the scenes streaming documentaries on other sports have done wonders and rugby needs to get on that train.
I’m not aware that anyone has come out against social media. It is part of life everyone has access, all posters on here do otherwise they wouldn’t be able to post. It certainly spreads the word, though I’m not convinced about it attracting new fans, because you have to have an interest in something, or want to watch something to click on it or view it, but it costs nothing so nothing ventured nothing gained.
I think a few of us oldies were switched off social media by twitter, which became a vipers nest of vitriol and hate. Instagram is much more pleasant, and if YouTube counts there is some great content on there and really interesting. The Big Jim show on the day of their testimonial dinner, with the Youngs Boys is a really good watch.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:21 am This is it, rugby clubs play about with social media and are decent at producing some content for the existing fans but it needs something more.

Imagine England win well over the Autumn and you have Freddie Steward, JVP etc on instagram straight after sharing some inside footage whilst also reminding people to come and watch them at Tigers. Great PR

rugby needs to be so much better at letting the cameras in, both professional and amateur. Being a sport that has always been in the shadows has meant that clubs have been able to avoid this but in order to grow this has to change.
School of Hard knocks with Greenwood and Quinnell was great at this, but is no longer around.
Imagine if you could get Lenny and Coley to do something like that in Leicester, go into Highfields and Eyres Monsell and try and get rugby introduced.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

This is what I've been saying about basic marketing. The game in general just doesn't seem to do it. I know I've mentioned TV a few times, but social media is also a massive part of what the game needs.
Getting bums on seats and kids playing the game is about engagement with new potential fans. You don't get that wihtout exposure.
The general public hasnt got a clue about rugby union outside of England internationals, and even then most don't really understand whats going on!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:44 am This is what I've been saying about basic marketing. The game in general just doesn't seem to do it. I know I've mentioned TV a few times, but social media is also a massive part of what the game needs.
Getting bums on seats and kids playing the game is about engagement with new potential fans. You don't get that wihtout exposure.
The general public hasnt got a clue about rugby union outside of England internationals, and even then most don't really understand whats going on!
You’re so right. Attending a rugby international is like a day at the test match, or Wimbledon, or even going to a West End Show. For many it’s about the experience, of having said they have done. They aren’t going to become the new generation of fans.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Would strongly recommend Big Jim’s talk with Flatman who cover a lot of what has been discussed on here about many topics.
Lot of information on there I was unaware of. It’s long but worth sticking with
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Multiple tweets including Chris Foy reporting that the owners are blaming the fans (not enough of them paying £££) and the players (not accepting less salary) for Wuss problems. What a pair
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Owners latest statement, blames fans and players for the Worcester situation whilst "supposedly" being an apology...

Hmmmm....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Comments by the administrator about players' contracts/ leaving; hopes for the business followed by owners' statement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63087149
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think Matt Kvesic sums it up well...

https://twitter.com/mattkvesic/status/1 ... HbYew&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I wonder if this is common practice for the players to be paid by an entity other than the club itself?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Seeing as I've had 2 posts deleted when expressing my opinion of the Worcester owners, I'll see if this one is ok.....

Ooh, they're not not very nice chaps are they. The little tinkers!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ads wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:12 am Seeing as I've had 2 posts deleted when expressing my opinion of the Worcester owners, I'll see if this one is ok.....

Ooh, they're not not very nice chaps are they. The little tinkers!
I think we can translate from that....

A right couple of Nescafe Gold Blends
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The failure of Worcester to fulfil their fixture has cost Gloucester £400, 000, say Glos. Our fixture at home was due to be played on Bonfire night when no doubt the club would have expected a big turn out to see rugby plus fireworks. So, the club loses money, all the traders lose money, all the casual staff lose money... It's a disgrace.