LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by westwinds31 »

ourla wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:32 pm One thing always strikes me as difficult with academies is that if very successful they will churn out far more players than you need.

I guess that is why you hear "ex-Man United academy player" so often.
...and Chelsea, their ex-academy players are everywhere it seems ! Footballers are fortunate that they can be released by a Premiership club and earn a decent living in the Championship or abroad, whereas in rugby, the Championship is basically full of all those players that were released by Premiership clubs, that are hopeful of being picked up - that's if they get game time and their position isn't being taken by an existing Premiership club academy player, to get them game time !
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:34 am
kpj tiger wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:22 am Anybody have an idea when YBY's contract is up, on the Big Jim podcast he said they timed the Youngs testimonial for when Tom would be retiring and when Ben's contract at Tigers was up
I don’t think it was quite phrased that way. They said they started planning 3 years ago, but obviously a lot has changed. I think a lot with Lenny will do with how he feels post RWC. He’ll be turning 34 and may feel he has another year left in him. I would imagine the club would want him to as Wigglesworth can’t go on much longer and it would give Edwards another year to mature behind JVP.
What was interesting was that he doesn’t do farming so he won’t be off to help Tom with the pigs.
I may have imagined it but did I hear something last week that the pair of them were at a testimonial dinner in Norfolk?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Possibly Lenny did say the London dinner was the only event they had arranged, but of course others arrange things too
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:04 pm Possibly Lenny did say the London dinner was the only event they had arranged, but of course others arrange things too
So does that mean they have started on their testimonial already?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:20 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:04 pm Possibly Lenny did say the London dinner was the only event they had arranged, but of course others arrange things too
So does that mean they have started on their testimonial already?
Don’t quote me but I think Big Jim said that episode was filmed after the Exeter game, and that the London dinner was the only formal event.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The Mercury's rugby writer Bobby Bridge has given his breakdown of Tigers players contractual situations: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ed-7647341
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm very surprise Pollard was included today, plastic pitch not good for returning injured players.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If Pollard has picked up an injury, with no signs yet of Hegarty returning since his injury in preseason, that means we have two fit fly halves. Burns and Gopperth. Especially if Gopperth is playing 12 a fair bit due to injuries atm. I wonder if we'll look a a 1 month loan of a Worcester fly half? Owen Williams back here?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I know Radwan has been mentioned in this thread as signing for us for next season with Watson only a 1 yr deal - but Fisler (read into that what you will ?!) has suggested that Wasps are after Radwan and McGuigan (once of this parish) for next season from Newcastle.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:42 am I know Radwan has been mentioned in this thread as signing for us for next season with Watson only a 1 yr deal - but Fisler (read into that what you will ?!) has suggested that Wasps are after Radwan and McGuigan (once of this parish) for next season from Newcastle.
IF Wasps are still with us of course
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:48 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:42 am I know Radwan has been mentioned in this thread as signing for us for next season with Watson only a 1 yr deal - but Fisler (read into that what you will ?!) has suggested that Wasps are after Radwan and McGuigan (once of this parish) for next season from Newcastle.
Very true - we can hope for the sake of rugby!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:09 am
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:48 am
Very true - we can hope for the sake of rugby!
Worrying times. With what has happened at Worcester, next year could be very telling when it comes to player movement. Would you be confident at Newcastle with such low attendance figures, can that we sustained. What would you want to see at Wasps to be confident of their future? It really is a pretty ugly scene at the moment and I suspect that the position as Worcester is going to make players far more careful and far more likely to look at the overall picture of the club before signing on.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Walder said Friday night that they operate within the cap not right up to it. I’m sure you’re right though about the attendance how can the running of the club be sustainable at that level.
Flatman the other day said that players need to reevaluate their value if clubs are to survive. He rightly pointed out that anyone earning £150k a year is in the top level of earners, yes it is for a limited amount of time, but they need to stop comparing themselves to footballers, in the earning stakes.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

We're in the period where published figures are most out of date, but Newcastle did post an operating profit in year ending June 2021 (the most recent period). From published figures they might be poorer but they appear a safe bet and well run club compared to some.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:37 pm We're in the period where published figures are most out of date, but Newcastle did post an operating profit in year ending June 2021 (the most recent period). From published figures they might be poorer but they appear a safe bet and well run club compared to some.
True, but them losing their holiday game to covid caused cashflow problems meaning England players didn't get their appearance fees. That will also factor at least in player perception as to a safe club.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.