LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the Reffell situation could get interesting, Prem Rugby are in talks with the WRU to bring 2 regions in should they lose Wasps and Worcester, that would mean they had to play by the same release of player rules as the English sides do
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If we can get Kelly over the line plus if the rumoured Reffell rolling contract is true. Then those running the club deserve a massive pat on the back.

Outside of those two I'd say extensions from Cole and Henderson are the ones I'd be most interested in seeing.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:07 pm If we can get Kelly over the line plus if the rumoured Reffell rolling contract is true. Then those running the club deserve a massive pat on the back.

Outside of those two I'd say extensions from Cole and Henderson are the ones I'd be most interested in seeing.
This is my no means a slight on Henderson but thought Lewis Chessum out played him last night. Ideal world we keep them both but great to have such strength in depth.
Polar bear is 36 next May, I would expect them to look for a year’s contract then see how things lie. That is of course if has time off from appearing in Marler’s road show dressed in dungarees
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I wonder how close Marler came to signing or if it was a ridiculous rumour ? We might find out after he’s retired. Anyway, great re signings and particularly pleased with JVP….the sky is the limit for him.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Rubbish day at work but this has really cheered me up. Fantastic news!

3 fabulous young players. After the dark days we have some unbelievable talent who seem to have a real affinity with the club. It's wonderful to see.

Well done to all involved. Re-signing Freddie is absolutely massive.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:34 pm I wonder how close Marler came to signing or if it was a ridiculous rumour ? We might find out after he’s retired. Anyway, great re signings and particularly pleased with JVP….the sky is the limit for him.
He and Steward have to be strong favourites to be on the 2025 Lions tour.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

The amount of talent the club has produced the last couple of years is outstanding. JVP, Steward and Martin amongst some of the best academy graduates.

Just look at the pack:

Whitcombe Vanes Heyes
O Chessum L Chessum
Martin Illione Reffell

Sadly have to agree about Henderson. He’s a quality youngster but may find himself behind Chessum brothers, Wells etc. He probably deserves to be in the 23 more than he is. So couldn’t blame him if he looked to move.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

GB72 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:08 pm The main new contracts that I would like to see are Borthwick and the coaching staff. To sign new deals now would send the right message to the RFU when looking for Eddie's replacement.
In his quotes on JVP and Martin especially he mentions their development and about looking forward to seeing them grow/ be part of continued development/ into the future / for years to come. Things change but that does not sound like someone who anticipates moving in the near future.
As Good As It Gets
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:29 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:07 pm If we can get Kelly over the line plus if the rumoured Reffell rolling contract is true. Then those running the club deserve a massive pat on the back.

This is my no means a slight on Henderson but thought Lewis Chessum out played him last night. Ideal world we keep them both but great to have such strength in depth.
Polar bear is 36 next May, I would expect them to look for a year’s contract then see how things lie. That is of course if has time off from appearing in Marler’s road show dressed in dungarees
I thought it was a mature performance from Henderson last night. He did a lot of the unfashionable tight work for the side. Made a couple of decent carries when we were under pressure in our own half.

Re Tony's point I'd be disappointed if Henderson opted to move on. I think he has the potential to surpass Snyman and Wells the former sooner than the latter and with Chessum Snr seemingly an England regular now we'll need at least four good locks. Lewis Chessum might start coming into the first team picture next season but probably not before so there'll be opportunities for Henderson.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:16 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:29 pm

I thought it was a mature performance from Henderson last night. He did a lot of the unfashionable tight work for the side. Made a couple of decent carries when we were under pressure in our own half.

Re Tony's point I'd be disappointed if Henderson opted to move on. I think he has the potential to surpass Snyman and Wells the former sooner than the latter and with Chessum Snr seemingly an England regular now we'll need at least four good locks. Lewis Chessum might start coming into the first team picture next season but probably not before so there'll be opportunities for Henderson.
Agree re. Henderson's performance. I didn't think Chessum outshone him tbh they complimented each other well. Henderson put in some real great tackles at key moments.

Let's take that performance in proper context. This was his second start (one for Nottingham the other week) since an ACL operation. Prior to that he was in a Scotland squad named in a side to be capped till covid called if off. 12 months ago he was performing better than Ollie Chessum. Then Cam got injured. He's going to take time to get back there but he has the ability and his ceiling of ability is high enough.

IF he stays injury free this year my prediction is that him and Ollie Chessum may be our first choice starting lock pairing by the end of the season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I take the previous posters points re Henderson, he did a lot of the unseen stuff, Chessum was more visible, red hair and size of a lighthouse no surprise
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:22 am I take the previous posters points re Henderson, he did a lot of the unseen stuff, Chessum was more visible, red hair and size of a lighthouse no surprise
Very true 🤣
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

The Chessums always remind me of Fred and George Weasley...
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Perhaps one day in the not too distant future we will see an entire academy 15 start for Tigers?

Whitcombe
Vanes
Heyes
Chessum
Chessum
Martin
Ilione
Manz
JVP / Edwards
Meridith
Browning
Woodward
Cusick
Steward
Simmons

You could include Reffell, Cole, Wells, Kelly too I suppose
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wasn't so long back we were all lamenting the lack of much coming out of the academy.

It's an amazing turnaround.