Single use paper cups?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Single use paper cups?

Post by trendylfj »

I must be a bit thick but how are single-use paper cups beneficial to the environment? What have they done with all of the old plastic cups we used to have to pay a deposit for? They say that for every cup placed in a bin they will donate 10p to the foundation but single use means that they can't be recycled or at least I think they can't.

"Leicester Tigers and stadium caterers Levy are introducing single-use paper cups on a trial basis in part of the stadium this week as part of work on increasing recycling and reducing waste."

"And for every cup put in the bins afterwards, caterers Levy will make a 10p donation towards the Leicester Tigers Foundation and Wheelchair Rugby Team! So help us tidy up and raise a tidy sum for the Foundation.

Also, single-use cups are being re-introduced across the stadium to improve queue times and take away the need for supporters to pay and collect their £1 deposit."
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Single use paper cups?

Post by Rugbygramps »

Single use refers to that user I believe doesn’t mean they can’t be recycled if disposed of correctly.
I would imagine that the plastic cups have all been recycled
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I spoke out against the single use paper cups at the recent forum meeting. My concerns were, apart from a taste issue with beer from a paper cup, that the sample shown to us had no window where you could see how much beer you actually had and how much froth. I will be interested to hear of other peoples comments as I won't be trying them out myself ever.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

One of the problems with the cups/mugs used for the last few seasons was that the capacity wasn't a full pint. In pubs the standard pint glass/mug is marked with a line, a centimetre or so below the top of the glass, showing where a pint comes up to and therefore leaving space for a head. Essential on ale and Guinness. My son and I took a couple of the plastic mugs home and measure the capacity and a pint of liquid came level with the top of the mug. So a Tiger or Guinness with obligatory head was a short measure.

I agree with a previous poster, beer out of a paper cup simply won't taste right, never mind whether the capacity is correct.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
bendy

Post by bendy »

Only in the MW stand (at the moment), so I'm anticipating a migration of fans to bars in other stands!
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

bendy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:35 pm Only in the MW stand (at the moment), so I'm anticipating a migration of fans to bars in other stands!
I've lost track of the names of all the stands, is the MW stand the ex-Alliance & Leicester stand, behind the goal at the Welford Road end?
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

WirralExile wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:25 pm One of the problems with the cups/mugs used for the last few seasons was that the capacity wasn't a full pint. In pubs the standard pint glass/mug is marked with a line, a centimetre or so below the top of the glass, showing where a pint comes up to and therefore leaving space for a head. Essential on ale and Guinness. My son and I took a couple of the plastic mugs home and measure the capacity and a pint of liquid came level with the top of the mug. So a Tiger or Guinness with obligatory head was a short measure.

I agree with a previous poster, beer out of a paper cup simply won't taste right, never mind whether the capacity is correct.
I totally agree with John and Wirral as the previous plastic handled cups were designed for 500ml and not 1 pint and without the fill line. However in recent seasons I have taken my old plastic tapered cup with Jonno and Backy on the sleeves and that has a fill line at 1 pint. Yes this way I always get the full measure rather than 25% foam at the high prices we are having to pay and I guarantee the beer prices will be raised again this season and the bar service will go down too.
Are they trying to drive the fans away from drinking inside the ground?
Please do not suggest pre-pouring pints before half time either like other clubs successfully achieve. :smt030
bendy

Post by bendy »

WirralExile wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:39 pm
bendy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:35 pm Only in the MW stand (at the moment), so I'm anticipating a migration of fans to bars in other stands!
I've lost track of the names of all the stands, is the MW stand the ex-Alliance & Leicester stand, behind the goal at the Welford Road end?
Yes! The big red one.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

WirralExile wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:39 pm
Yes, and the bar service in the MW is criminally glacial and must cost the club thousands in lost revenue throughout the season. We already tend to go to a different stand! :smt003

I don't I ever say anyone just in the que to get their £1 refunded either. Seems like they've invented a solution to a non-existent problem whilst completely ignoring the actual problem. I wonder if Andrea, Chris, or any of their team have actually visited the normal bars at other grounds and realise how awful the speed of service is at MWWR and the potential lost custom?
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

WirralExile wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:25 pm One of the problems with the cups/mugs used for the last few seasons was that the capacity wasn't a full pint. In pubs the standard pint glass/mug is marked with a line, a centimetre or so below the top of the glass, showing where a pint comes up to and therefore leaving space for a head. Essential on ale and Guinness. My son and I took a couple of the plastic mugs home and measure the capacity and a pint of liquid came level with the top of the mug. So a Tiger or Guinness with obligatory head was a short measure.

You've found a good pub if you're getting your beer in a pint to line glass, most places use pint to rim and can legally sell 5% short (measured when the head has collapsed) on account of the head.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Had beer in a paper cup at old Trafford during the test match. I thought it tasted better than from the plastic equivalent , and, I believe is better for the environment. Give it a try - I was surprised.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

In a recent survey the club sent out I was almost universally positive about everything… until it got to the bars!! There was nothing positive that I could truthfully put down about, from service to quality to beer .. all appalling.. it’s the reason why I choose to spend my money elsewhere before and after the game which is a shame because I would rather it went to the club.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Having drunk from paper cups at many a festival, I wasn't impressed when I saw the club were going down this route as they're not the most sturdiest of things

Does anyone know if there's any reason you can't take your own plastic pint glasses in with you to the game and asking the staff to use one of these instead? I've got a load in the cupboard but I think I saw someone try it at the Newcastle pre-season game and the bar staff refused them.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
TigerSID

Post by TigerSID »

The slightly alarming aspect of this discussion is that at the pre-season match between Newcastle and Tigers the option choice was not between single use paper cups and the old hard plastic re-usable deposit cups, which I did love and approve of, but between single use paper cups and single use thin plastic cups. Both of these ended up in the bins as rubbish. At least with the deposit cups if people were in a rush and didn't want to take them back, then an army of younger children / teens would helpfully gather them up and redeem the deposits for pocket money or people could use the charity donation bins if preferred.

My feedback from my own trial was that with both you couldn't carry three comfortably and even slotting the plastic cups into cup holder there was some squashing and loss of content. With the paper cups you could not determine how full they were, and they went soft before the contents were consumed, accepted I'm a slow drinker. Litter appeared to be much worse on the terrace as there are no bins on the terrace.

From an environmental and sustainability perspective IMHO single use anything is not the way forward and I'm disappointed that the club think that this is a good idea.

A recent report by Manchester City Council looked at the use of these items: https://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/ ... _do_it.pdf .
Their study found that a reusable cup, if washed efficiently, is more sustainable than single use alternatives once it is reused six times or more. The same report suggested that the financial tipping point was that it became more cost effective if had been used 15 times. They will certainly last at least 15 uses as I have an old one with a picture of a young Matthew Tait et al on it and the date stamp on the bottom suggests it was manufactured in 2008/9. It has been used and washed regularly since then. I suspect that the short term £ cost is the issue here but that ignores the environmental cost / impact.

If the option is to choose between drinks in single use paper or single use plastic cup and that is the choice offered, then my personal preference will be to re-assess whether I need the products offered at all and not buy drinks in the ground.

I'm sure my few drinks not purchased will make little impact. It might even improve my health.
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

Had a single us paper cup at London Irish on Saturday - Brentford Community stadium.

I was so thirsty I would have drunk out of the groundsman's boot.

I personally hate reuseable plastic ones. It takes all sorts though.