Tigers v Exeter (Away) - 10th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers v Exeter (Away) - 10th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Systonite »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:21 pm Whilst I agree with all the comments about stats, tackles, carries, mètres made etc etc, the fact is we were leading with three minutes to go and with à free kick from the scrum. We should have been able to run down the clock from there. Game management cost us the game even though we deserved to lose based on the balance of play.
Agreed. Don't know who made the decision to simply hoof the ball down the pitch. Looked like it may have been Goperth's idea. He kicked. We were on top in the scrum and could have opted (slowly) for a scrum, carried a couple of times and kicked it off the park for the win. We could have kicked for touch a similar distance down the pitch, forcing Exeter to throw in to a contested line out and taking more time off the clock. We could have tapped and driven the ball up a few times. Almost all options better than giving them the ball and ultimately the win. We should have enough experience in our team to manage games effectively, but the sort of naiveté displayed in that game losing moment does not suggest so.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Our game plan was conservative, even by Borthwick's standards. Like an extreme version of 21/22 Tigers.

Teams will know we're going to do this. Exeter did. And save for a chargedown, they coped with it well. How do we respond?

Borthwick was curt with Adam Whitty in the week on that very point. He's a great coach and I'd like to see how he evolves his approach to keep us on top.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

With more than half the first team absent I thought the result was probably better than I expected. Tigers got a losing bonus point and prevented Exeter getting a try bonus. Defence was outstanding, Martin 27 tackles, Wells 22, Clare 20. Attack was disjointed but since most of the players had not played together in a proper competitive match it was not surprising.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

1 point away at Exeter with a weakened team is OK in my book. A game could have definitely have won so not disheartening.

On Gopperth - you need to give the playmakers a bit of time to settle in, Wasps style is very different to ours. I remember Biggar looked poor in Northamptons first few games, now he’s routinely their best player.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:56 am 1 point away at Exeter with a weakened team is OK in my book. A game could have definitely have won so not disheartening.

On Gopperth - you need to give the playmakers a bit of time to settle in, Wasps style is very different to ours. I remember Biggar looked poor in Northamptons first few games, now he’s routinely their best player.
Agreed on the Gopperth point. Also, he’d have expected to play most, if not all of the game with Burns at 10 too which creates a different dynamic than being placed at first receiver himself. The games will come - and I’m sure the attacking play will come more into fruition too. Keep the faith!
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

A day of poor judgements
The team sheet offered the newbies a run out and internationals a rest.
The kicking game to stop Exeters' running game.
Not closing the game out.
The Officials ( nuff said )
B.T for allowing Dayglo any where near a mic
Me for not getting me ticket.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:56 am 1 point away at Exeter with a weakened team is OK in my book. A game could have definitely have won so not disheartening.

But last season we would have won it :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I see Ellis was at his rampaging best for Bristol, why was he allowed to play but not our England boys?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:09 pm I see Ellis was at his rampaging best for Bristol, why was he allowed to play but not our England boys?
They applied for and got an exemption. There's an agreed training and playing plan etc etc.

Borthwick has said our England players will get their 10 week rest period.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:13 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:09 pm I see Ellis was at his rampaging best for Bristol, why was he allowed to play but not our England boys?
They applied for and got an exemption. There's an agreed training and playing plan etc etc.

Borthwick has said our England players will get their 10 week rest period.
My understanding is that the 10 weeks is seperated into in two sections. 5 weeks rest & 5 weeks prep.

I would have thought exemptions may involve adding additional rest weeks elsewhere pre AI's. However I doubt that they would want 5 weeks of prep to be skipped as that helps get the player ready for the league properly. So unless we applied more than 5 weeks ago I'd say it's too late anyway.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The rules as written were quite clear but the marketing people for Bristol and the Umbrella sponsorship decided player care was not important so the rules were bent. Of course having set the precedent others (Exeter and Nowell) followed suit, no doubt the extra non consecutive rest days will coincide with player injury so no actual time is lost to the employing club.