Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: New captain

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:08 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:44 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:30 pm
I feel this shows a lack of understanding of the toll on the body when playing too much without appropriate recovery time. Just because a player isn’t English and isn’t covered by certain regulations doesn’t mean it’s ok to overplay them.
Yes, we want our top players on the pitch as often as possible but not at the increased risk of burnout or injury, leading to shortened careers.
I’m afraid losing internationals for periods of the season is one of those things to accept these days.
You have completely misinterpreted what I’m saying. I’m all for players given rest periods, but why does each player need exactly the same. Some players would rather play on and as long as they can be trusted to look after their bodies, along with S &C teams and medical then have that flexibility built in. Why does a winger need the same rehab as a tighthead prop.
Certain injuries are more common in some positions than others but whatever position you play, your shoulders and knees in particular are always susceptible to the rigours of training and playing.
And where would Ellis Genge fall within your theory who seems to be ok to play this weekend. Different players need different recovery times end of. There should never be an all encompassing rest period, and anything else shows a lack of understanding
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

I think we can all agree if someone goes on tour and barely plays then the 10 weeks doesn’t make sense. Equally if they’ve not played much in the season then equally the 10 weeks doesn’t make sense. Beyond that I don’t see why it is now becoming optional.

And whilst yes everyone is different, when ex players and their insurers / lawyers come knocking in the future, it is a lot harder to defend claims if you’ve not got a clear framework for such decisions. And it now appears the framework has collapsed under the weight of Genges desire to play in a local derby.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:29 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:44 pm

You have completely misinterpreted what I’m saying. I’m all for players given rest periods, but why does each player need exactly the same. Some players would rather play on and as long as they can be trusted to look after their bodies, along with S &C teams and medical then have that flexibility built in. Why does a winger need the same rehab as a tighthead prop.
Certain injuries are more common in some positions than others but whatever position you play, your shoulders and knees in particular are always susceptible to the rigours of training and playing.
And where would Ellis Genge fall within your theory who seems to be ok to play this weekend. Different players need different recovery times end of. There should never be an all encompassing rest period, and anything else shows a lack of understanding
“seems to be ok to play” says everything. Following last season and the summer tour, your entrenched position and ill advised suggestion that Ellis should be allowed anywhere near the pitch is probably a good place to conclude the conversation.
Perhaps revisit it when his body breaks down during the season ……
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:38 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:29 pm
“seems to be ok to play” says everything. Following last season and the summer tour, your entrenched position and ill advised suggestion that Ellis should be allowed anywhere near the pitch is probably a good place to conclude the conversation.
Perhaps revisit it when his body breaks down during the season ……
And he doesn’t I look forward to your apology. You are just not reading what I am saying properly, or possibly don’t want to.
Just to make it clear for you some players may need 8 weeks some may need 12 but to say everyone needs the same amount is wrong.
Entrenched position and Ill advised my bottom. Definitely someone who follows the game from a text book
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Because, of course, with only 9 weeks and 6 days rest, all the players will still be in bits.

Only on 10 weeks exactly will they be "fit" to play again. :smt003

It's called management. The 10 weeks is obviously a "guideline" (and shortening may lead to non availability later in the season), not a holy order.