LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by anz3001 »

Commentary during the game also said he was on a season loan.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:18 pm Commentary during the game also said he was on a season loan.
I was unable to watch the game so thanks for confirmation of this!

Smart move IMO.

Can see Wiggy retiring after this season. Youngs, JVP, Edwards and Law is a strong set up at 9. Perhaps Simmons moving into wing/FB with a covering at 9 the best move for him! He certainly has wheels!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 pm Interesting that in the post match report on the Tigers website they state Jonny Law (ex academy 9) is on loan with Jersey rather than a permanent move.

Not sure if it is accurate or not but can’t recall if he was fully mentioned in the leavers list?

Perhaps like Simmons last year, he is being given a chance for proper game time for a full season?
I messaged Bobby about it, turns out it was a miastake by the commentators on the game that he copied. It is a permanent move not a loan
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:14 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 pm Interesting that in the post match report on the Tigers website they state Jonny Law (ex academy 9) is on loan with Jersey rather than a permanent move.

Not sure if it is accurate or not but can’t recall if he was fully mentioned in the leavers list?

Perhaps like Simmons last year, he is being given a chance for proper game time for a full season?
I messaged Bobby about it, turns out it was a miastake by the commentators on the game that he copied. It is a permanent move not a loan
Ah thanks TFS! Just checking as it’s written on the Offy website too? I must admit I was surprised when I read the loan as I assumed it was permanent.

Thanks TFS!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:17 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:14 pm

Ah thanks TFS! Just checking as it’s written on the Offy website too? I must admit I was surprised when I read the loan as I assumed it was permanent.

Thanks TFS!
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... avers-2122

Confirmation he's left us

https://www.jerseyreds.je/news_article/ ... ompletion/

Confirmation on the Jersey announcement saying it was permanent.

Probably a bit confusing as they had a 9 on loan from us last year in Simmons
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bobby has updated the Mercury article, no longer says loanee.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

:smt003 TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:27 pm Bobby has updated the Mercury article, no longer says loanee.
Appreciate the Mercury being accurate - and don’t doubt that it’s permanent.

Just in the report in the 5th paragraph it says on loan. I imagine just tired typing!! It is Friday night after all! :smt003

https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/p ... 002a8715a1
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

In The post Match Report On Our Website - It Says on-loan Jonny Law at scrum-half.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Qbec wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:31 pm In The post Match Report On Our Website - It Says on-loan Jonny Law at scrum-half.
I think a mistake on the match report is more likely than a mistake on us listing him as a leaver and Jersey and announcing him as a permanent signing.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Some interesting reading from Charlie Morgan in the telegraph. Comments on every premiership club and the salary cap. Quoted the section on tigers below. Paragraph at the end on Steward is worrying;

Leicester Tigers

Likely excluded player: Handre Pollard

The champions certainly intrigue rivals when it comes to dealings in the market. During their dark period, Tigers were slap-dash and sloppy – and were punished accordingly with a fine of almost £310,000. This appears to have been addressed with renewed focus and a virtuous circle driven by good coaching and success on the pitch.

As one source, unattached to the club, put: “Leicester are probably back to being able to pay players less because they’re top of the league and have a great environment”. Such a combination can definitely help to save money. Steve Borthwick brings overarching tactical clarity and has a charismatic backroom team, from Aled Walters to Kevin Sinfield via Richard Wigglesworth, Matt Smith, Brett Deacon and Tom Harrison.

Tigers have trimmed plenty of fat over recent years but Borthwick continually explains that his squad revamp is an ongoing process. It is conducted alongside data consultancy Oval Insights with head of recruitment Richard Wilks building on work done by Jan McGinity, his predecessor. That will not stop with the Premiership title.

Handre Pollard may prove to be the exception to the rule when it comes to the Premiership attracting southern hemisphere stars
Handre Pollard may prove to be the exception to the rule when it comes to the Premiership attracting southern hemisphere stars CREDIT: Getty Images
Ellis Genge has left for family reasons and a lower wage, while Marco van Staden was released following concussion issues. George Ford’s exit, also on a pay cut, frees up the excluded slot as well as the number 10 shirt. Handre Pollard, despite openly admitting that there were “bigger deals on the table” prior to moving from Montpellier to Tigers, fits both.

How a completely different playmaker will fare is a different question. The distribution of centres such as Jimmy Gopperth and Dan Kelly feels important. On a wider theme, it has been suggested that signings such as Pollard – front-line Test stars from the southern hemisphere – will be rarer until the salary cap increases again.

Olly Cracknell could become an influential back-rower and James Cronin mitigates the loss of Genge. Joe Taufete’e will enjoy himself at the back of mauls, with Nic Dolly still recovering from a catastrophic knee injury.

As Anthony Watson, Gopperth and Phil Cokanasiga bolster the back division, a dearth of cap space would appear to have prompted the reluctant departure of Matías Moroni. “It came as a bit of a shock, but it was out of my hands,” wrote the Argentina centre in an Instagram post ahead of his exit to Newcastle.

Everyone must compromise and Leicester seem clinical and clever. They place a premium on positional versatility and embrace factors regarded as risks, such as advancing age in the case of Chris Ashton. Meanwhile, they back themselves to maintain cohesion despite heavy turnover and numerous short-term contracts. Gems such as Harry Potter and Guy Porter are polished quickly. Like those two, recent arrival Lachlan Shelley is an English-qualified Australian.

Getting salaries off the books is another underrated skill that Leicester are mastering. Bryce Hegarty and Nemani Nadolo will leave to join the Waratahs and Western Force this winter, for instance. Avoiding termination fees allows for more space, which is handy. While they will not want for homegrown credits or RFU hand-outs, Leicester’s churn will have affected total budget because there will not be many, if any, Covid reductions left.

Adam Radwan has been linked with a move to Tigers and fans were buoyed by the announcement of seven renewals, including those of Ollie Chessum, Porter and Julián Montoya, last week. There is far more business to be done, though. George Martin, Jack van Poortvliet, Tommy Reffell, Kelly and Freddie Burns, a key man in Pollard’s absence, are among those that will be in negotiations. And then there is Freddie Steward.

Talks between the imperious full-back’s representatives and the club are said to have reached an impasse with a large gap – worth more than six figures – between the different parties’ evaluations. This accentuates the thorny concept of value as it pertains to a Test regular that will be away from the club for long periods. These days, Leicester are hard-nosed pragmatists.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

It was a great article looking at several clubs, including notable info on salaries agreed e.g. Zach Mercer on £450k pa for 4 years at Glos, Aj MacGinty on £475k at Briz and Jonny Hill on £350k at Sale. All of which feel like poor value for money to me!

Every time I look at our squad I cannot help but feel we are in a very lean place following our big name departures last year.

On Steward, some deals take longer to agree than other and I do not think there is yet a time pressure for either club or Steward (or JVP and Martin) to agree something, but it is slightly concerning the regularity it is being discussed in the press. Other than £££ there do not appear to be any reasons for him to leave, and a lot of good reasons for him to stay.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TA30 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:50 pm It was a great article looking at several clubs, including notable info on salaries agreed e.g. Zach Mercer on £450k pa for 4 years at Glos, Aj MacGinty on £475k at Briz and Jonny Hill on £350k at Sale. All of which feel like poor value for money to me!

Every time I look at our squad I cannot help but feel we are in a very lean place following our big name departures last year.

On Steward, some deals take longer to agree than other and I do not think there is yet a time pressure for either club or Steward (or JVP and Martin) to agree something, but it is slightly concerning the regularity it is being discussed in the press. Other than £££ there do not appear to be any reasons for him to leave, and a lot of good reasons for him to stay.
Part of me suspects that some players are yet to fully appreciate the times that they are playing in. There will be players at clubs with financial issues willing to take cuts to move, there are over 100 players without contracts this year. Yes, there will still be a few big, 6 figure salaries but not many I suspect and those will be weighed against the frequency of the player being available.

I think that rugby as a whole is starting to realise what it can and cannot afford and what clubs need in a squad and I think that some players looking for the salaries that have been offered in the past may be in for a shock. Personally, I think that JVP is the most important contract going forward. Our current incumbent may not have too many years left in him and it is time to start handing over the reigns slowly. Steward is superb, do not get me wrong and I am desperate for him to sign up but there has to be limits.

That said, I think that they will all sign but we need the increased cap for next season to fit them in and so there seems litle point pushing it before this one even kicks off.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Basically my view of this.

We've made an initial offer to some of our key players out of contract at the season.

Based on that some have signed.

Others are negotiating. That may involve hearing offers from other parties etc. That may involve compromise on both club and players behalves.

To my mind once the club has got the first raft of signings done, plus all the ones signed up for next year in previous contracts, the club will have more knowledge now of exactly how much they can up the contract by.

Yes it may allow some poachin, but we're still over 6 months away from when we should start to be getting nervous.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I have a lot of time for Charlie Morgan analyse but nothing I have seen in his writings so far indicates he has many inside men.

but he is right about no time pressure for both sides so doubt we need to worry just yet.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

So let’s say Tigers value Steward at £200000 and his valuation is £300000. First question is where does that valuation come from, has a rival club had a word in his ear. Secondly because he has come through Tigers academy in real terms he will cost us less than any other premiership side.