Worcester’s woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LekkerTigers

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by LekkerTigers »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:57 pm Talk is now administration

Hmm wonder who has cap left to scoop up some good players (Not to sound like a vulture)
Ollie Lawreance would be very good
Ted Hill would be a good pick up for someone. Would be an upgrade over Capstick for Exeter.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LekkerTigers wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:21 pm

Hmm wonder who has cap left to scoop up some good players (Not to sound like a vulture)
Ted Hill would be a good pick up for someone. Would be an upgrade over Capstick for Exeter.
Is Van De Mewe still there ?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Serious reports Worcester could go into Administration on Monday.

Reports that regardless of the outcome players are unhappy and there could be movements.

Sad times for those involved with the Warriors.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:43 am Serious reports Worcester could go into Administration on Monday.

Reports that regardless of the outcome players are unhappy and there could be movements.

Totally agree RTR have always thought of them as a decent club and I read that those that have traveled there to support have enjoyed their day.

Maybe there is room for Diamond on our coaching team :smt018 :smt018
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:06 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:43 am Serious reports Worcester could go into Administration on Monday.

Totally agree RTR have always thought of them as a decent club and I read that those that have traveled there to support have enjoyed their day.

Maybe there is room for Diamond on our coaching team :smt018 :smt018
I agree RG! I have fond memories of a friendly and welcoming atmosphere from our trips to Sixways.

Not too convinced by Diamond at WR… but I’d happily give some of their players a role if they needed it!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Sad news. Like Rugbygramps I always found them a decent club with decent and good humoured supporters.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Apparently the HMRC tax bill is in the £6 million range. They bought the club in 2018 (I believe, could be wrong) with little debt in the club and were given a £10 million grant. They bought Worcester Raiders in 2020 as well. They have also separated the ground, Sixways, from the Club. It all seems a little dodgy.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LekkerTigers wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:26 pm Apparently the HMRC tax bill is in the £6 million range. They bought the club in 2018 (I believe, could be wrong) with little debt in the club and were given a £10 million grant. They bought Worcester Raiders in 2020 as well. They have also separated the ground, Sixways, from the Club. It all seems a little dodgy.
:censored: hell. Sounds to me like they've separated the club from its assets and stripped it financially.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:48 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:26 pm Apparently the HMRC tax bill is in the £6 million range. They bought the club in 2018 (I believe, could be wrong) with little debt in the club and were given a £10 million grant. They bought Worcester Raiders in 2020 as well. They have also separated the ground, Sixways, from the Club. It all seems a little dodgy.
:censored: hell. Sounds to me like they've separated the club from its assets and stripped it financially.
Haven't the Pests had some changes to their training ground ownership...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Looks like Wuss can have some money back off the Tories, they've been taking Duckworths standing order donations to the Party post mortem......illegally.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I do feel like a vulture but there are unavoidably some very good players in that squad.

Ted Hill, Ollie Lawrence and Fin Smith have such high ceilings they'd be good signings for anyone.

Justin Clegg is IMO a very underrated second row who could be fantastic in the right setup.

I'd imagine Sale would rip your arm off for Chudley considering they've signed Simpson as cover.

Francois Venter is a somewhat unsung 12/13 who organises the midfield very well too.

Most those are in positions where Tigers have ample depth though. Noah Howard could be a good understudy to Steward for the right price? Could Kvesic be an option with van Staden gone? Not the same class of course but covers 7/8 and wouldn't cost a fortune these days.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I do agree with ABClub, re the players, but I don’t think we are quite at the carrion stage yet. To quote Bones there is too much flesh on those bones for me to perform correct analysis.

If it does come to players looking for new homes I wonder how it would be organised.
Just a suggestion 12 premiership clubs remaining, can sign up to three players but have to be on the salaries they were on at Worcester.
Certainly Ollie Lawrence and Ted Hill, not sure we would need anyone else, given the new contracts announced and the academy boys coming through
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not sure that clubs would have many spaces to take on players from Worcester. Also, they may not have the money to afford further additions to what they already have in place for the new season. A real difficult time for clubs.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I hope this can be resolved although the rumours do not sound encouraging, however, what ever the out come of this, both Wuss and the Wasps situation need investigating and precautions, or a system to help, must be put in place. It seems nothing was learnt from the previous similar problems, of which London Welsh is but one example, rugby is now a business and it has to learn and be run properly.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.