Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:43 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:36 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:11 pm

Worse or have they stood still with a team that didn't make it past the semi finals whilst every other team has tried to innovate and move forward?
It's a good point Sam and I don't think the props are too clever,it isn't a vintage Whitelock/Retallick and although Ioane is superb I don't believe they've got 12 right yet. What happened to Laumape? He still in France?
Yeah he's in France. I don't think that's the biggest issue though. The attack is limp and uninspired. No one in the NH plays like that now because it's outdated. Ireland were able to put some big shots in and stop the AB momentum time and time again because it was all telegraphed. They've got some sensational players and they are reliant on them coming up with moments of magic (which they do, often).

The defence is also lacking a bit of structure but playing against the high tempo Ireland it looked worse than it will against most sides.
Great points! It doesn't get any easier the RC schedule dictates that they play twice in SA,sorry to keep repeating this but Foster might not survive this. I'm surprised he's held on,is it 7 losses now already? This is the poorest AB set up I've ever seen
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:31 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:07 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:20 pm Does anyone know where Nathan Hughes is going?
France just can’t remember which club
Hughes confirmed himself that he's off to Japan. Rumoured to have turned down a contract from Clermont. Says that he wants to be closer to home and family. Wages for top stars in Japan are good but below that aren't actually mind blowing so it wouldn't surprise me if a player such as Hughes will get a fair bit less in Japan than he would in Top 14.

Presumably he'll try to turn out for Fiji at the RWC as well though he might need to cover lock to do so. Yato, Tuisue, Mata, Botia, Kunavula, Kamikamica. Fiji have plenty of strength in the back row.

Kamikamica is an interesting player. He's not as well known as other Fijian flyers/bruisers but has been consistently very good for Brive and just picked up by Racing. I could see his reputation going up and up at a Racing.
Thanks ABC
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:50 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:43 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:36 pm

It's a good point Sam and I don't think the props are too clever,it isn't a vintage Whitelock/Retallick and although Ioane is superb I don't believe they've got 12 right yet. What happened to Laumape? He still in France?
Yeah he's in France. I don't think that's the biggest issue though. The attack is limp and uninspired. No one in the NH plays like that now because it's outdated. Ireland were able to put some big shots in and stop the AB momentum time and time again because it was all telegraphed. They've got some sensational players and they are reliant on them coming up with moments of magic (which they do, often).

The defence is also lacking a bit of structure but playing against the high tempo Ireland it looked worse than it will against most sides.
Great points! It doesn't get any easier the RC schedule dictates that they play twice in SA,sorry to keep repeating this but Foster might not survive this. I'm surprised he's held on,is it 7 losses now already? This is the poorest AB set up I've ever seen
Perhaps the thinking is it's now too late to change anything meaningfully before the world cup sp might as well let Foster eat the :censored: sandwich he's made and give whoever is going to pick up after the full 4 years to go at it without having to risk an awful world cup to start.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Stop dropping that right hand when you jab Ellis 😂
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CghYMW1j ... 38F466D9E3
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

According to a Telegraph 'exclusive', Zac Mercer is close to a deal with Gloucester for the 23/24 season. Wants a place at the World Cup.
Give blood, play rugby!!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

wardy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:26 pm According to a Telegraph 'exclusive', Zac Mercer is close to a deal with Gloucester for the 23/24 season. Wants a place at the World Cup.
Gloucester love back row players don't they
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:53 pm
wardy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:26 pm According to a Telegraph 'exclusive', Zac Mercer is close to a deal with Gloucester for the 23/24 season. Wants a place at the World Cup.
A beast of a pack is very much part of their history, even if not quite there again, yet.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:53 pm
They have four 8s on the books for this season. Maybe Morgan is going to retire next summer and they want to keep the number of options at 8 up.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

What's the news on Polledri? Wasn't he offered a sort of pay as you play contract,or a reduced one to prove his fitness?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:47 pm What's the news on Polledri? Wasn't he offered a sort of pay as you play contract,or a reduced one to prove his fitness?
Signed a new deal last week, he's apparently now fit and looking to take part in the pre season friendlies. Can't imagine he'll be back to his best for a while and might need managing in his first season back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:47 pm What's the news on Polledri? Wasn't he offered a sort of pay as you play contract,or a reduced one to prove his fitness?
Signed a new deal last week, he's apparently now fit and looking to take part in the pre season friendlies. Can't imagine he'll be back to his best for a while and might need managing in his first season back.
Great news! 🤞
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Charlie Matthews back to Quins
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Quins needed a lock but are still very light with Tizard and Symons gone. I rate Herbst and Mathews but that lock pairing were really underrated in my opinion.

Tizard I can see flourishing into an England player in time. Partnering Itoje will be a great place for his development.

Symons is an odd one having arrived in the Prem with fanfare from captaining a Chiefs side that played some of the best club rugby I've seen when Super Rugby was stronger. He looked an international lock. It never quite worked out but at Quins he settled into a very good set-piece lock who did the basics extremely well. He also tended to play a lot. 22 Prem apps last season with all of them starts and played the full 80 in 14 of those games for instance.

Two big losses in the same position.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Woodward to Sale
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.