Tommy Reffell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tommy Reffell

Post by sam16111986 »

Offside wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 pm Interesting read but more an article focussing on why it should be Jac Morgan at 7 and quoting him rather than Tommie. Playing at Ospreys and finishing 9th probably does not help. They quote turnover stats for Morgan but not Tommie and Tommie was turning over in games at a different level and wining games rather than just turnovers. Does suggest there will be pressure on Tommie to perform and hopefully he gets the support from Tigers to do that.
You know Borthwick will back him, he has so far and he's our only natural 7 in the senior squad.

Openside is a position of strength for Wales and it might be that in games where they want their 7 to be more prominent in attack Reffell might not be the best choice. I thought before the SA games they were an ideal start for him at international level because Wales would under pressure and Reffell's, work rate, mobility and physicality in defence would really shine. In games where Wales forwards on top he might not be as influential.

That being said if he isn't in the squad going to the world cup they'll have made a real error, Reffell is a big game player that flourishes in tough conditions. That's a rare trait.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I thought I saw Tommy getting more involved in attack last season. He got himself on the and of a couple of attacks to finish off some nice tries. The chip through and chase being one. I wonder if SB has been working on that with Tommy because he isn't slow and could be more useful in attack than we have previously seen.
As Good As It Gets
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Agree with Scuttle about the attacking side of his game. Used to be my only criticism of him that his strengths lay in the more defensive side of the game. That has changed now with him being more involved with attacking moves and finishing trys
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Reffell's attacking game definitely leaped forward last season!

If he continues on his current trajectory I can see him being in the top 3 opensides in the world within the next 4 years (sucks for England; awesome for Tigers 😁)
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:51 am I thought I saw Tommy getting more involved in attack last season. He got himself on the and of a couple of attacks to finish off some nice tries. The chip through and chase being one. I wonder if SB has been working on that with Tommy because he isn't slow and could be more useful in attack than we have previously seen.
It's definitely coming on but he's some way off what Tipuric offers Wales. He's still young so there's plenty of time to advance his link game. I'm expecting another stride forward from him this season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tommy appearing in the latest video on Instagram taking a full part in Watt bike reps, at the jersey camp.
Looks like Taufete’e is there too