LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:00 pm Back in training is different to be available for selection
Very much so. I'd also expect them all to be off to Jersey as a team bonding exercise, even those that aren't playing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It was the Jersey camp last pre season where Genge was announced as captain
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Given the England guys will be back in their preseason prep by then I'm sure that with all the coaches and team going to Jersey, the England lads will be going too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Was a club announcement about Bryce Hegarty at 22.01 but they have since taken the post down. Presume about his future? Best of luck to him if he off!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

happywomble wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:42 pm Was a club announcement about Bryce Hegarty at 22.01 but they have since taken the post down. Presume about his future? Best of luck to him if he off!
The link seems live to me, it does indeed confirm he's off midway through the year.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ement-2208
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Rumoured for some time. Given who he has been/will be competing with in the positions he plays, it's not a surprise.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Shame, always rated Hegarty - think he was a much better player than some made out. But can’t see where he’d get much time on the pitch next season so makes sense for both parties.

10. Pollard, Burns, Gopperth
15. Steward, Watson, Shelley, Muri
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Does the midseason departure of both Nadolo and Hegarty hamstring us slightly on a salary cap front? We (I assume) have to pay the first half a year into the budget, but only get the use of them at the same periods, so we’ll have spent (effectively) a full season salary and not have the use of either after December. Wouldn’t we be better off with one full salary for one player available all season?
I get they give us cover during autumn internationals, but we’ll be short during six nations now.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:16 am Does the midseason departure of both Nadolo and Hegarty hamstring us slightly on a salary cap front? We (I assume) have to pay the first half a year into the budget, but only get the use of them at the same periods, so we’ll have spent (effectively) a full season salary and not have the use of either after December. Wouldn’t we be better off with one full salary for one player available all season?
I get they give us cover during autumn internationals, but we’ll be short during six nations now.
Should have Pollard plus other Southern Hemisphere internationals during Six Nations though?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:16 am Does the midseason departure of both Nadolo and Hegarty hamstring us slightly on a salary cap front? We (I assume) have to pay the first half a year into the budget, but only get the use of them at the same periods, so we’ll have spent (effectively) a full season salary and not have the use of either after December. Wouldn’t we be better off with one full salary for one player available all season?
Not sure if there is any Salary cap issue as there contracts would be terminated at the leaving date so Tiger would only pay them up to that point.
EG - Player plays full season and is paid £50K
Player leaves halfway through season - gets paid £25K and opens up £25k in the salary cap to be spent on a replacement for the remainder of the season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Best of luck to Bryce he was a really good squad man for us last season. At the stage of his career he is I can understand him wanting one last shot at the Wallabies squad and to want to be playing regularly rugby.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Only their salaries for the time here will count towards the cap.

I'd actually argue the timing helps with the cap. We'll have players of Nadolo and Hegarty's quality available in the back three whilst Steward and Porter are resting, Watson getting back to full fitness and Burns needed more at 10 without a full seasons salary in the cap.

Back three depth is looking pretty good though. Potter, Ashton and Saumaki as strong wing options with Kini and Shelley covering wing and 15 then Burns IMO looking most likely to play 15 a fair bit when Steward is away. Re Hegarty leaving we are then a bit lighter at fullback (unsure how much we'd use Kini and Shelley there in the Prem) but Burns was used ahead of him at 15 last season.

I'll be sad to see Nemani in particular go but in a pragmatic sense the timing is good for the club I think.

All that said I still think Rob Miller or Ahsee Tuala (somewhat underrated player now back in NPC in NZ) could have been good moneyball style punts at fullback.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The other advantage is if we budgeted for Hegarty & Nadolo for the season it may be we have a gap in salary cap to bring in a late season signings.

e.g. bringing in Ashton last season was a big boost. Who knows where we may want the cover.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:45 am All that said I still think Rob Miller or Ahsee Tuala (somewhat underrated player now back in NPC in NZ) could have been good moneyball style punts at fullback.
They might still be. I think there's still lots of shenanigans yet to be had with no-one rushing to sign anyone before they have to (such as Woodward to Sale - that's a month or so's salary they didn't have to pay).
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 am The other advantage is if we budgeted for Hegarty & Nadolo for the season it may be we have a gap in salary cap to bring in a late season signings.

e.g. bringing in Ashton last season was a big boost. Who knows where we may want the cover.
Makes sense. I don’t expect us to bring anyone else in now, but the as you say, maybe it adds the flex to add someone later on if they became available mid season due losing Nadolo and Hegarty off the budget in December.