Re: New captain

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

There can be only one......The Berg
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

For me, Hanro Liebenberg seems the obvious choice, having already done a spell as VC
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Here is todays BBC article on the appointment of Hanro as our Captain for this season.
Looks positive but we need the Internationals back to bag the wins. :smt023

~ https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62767964
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wormus wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:34 am Here is todays BBC article on the appointment of Hanro as our Captain for this season.

We are going to be without our England internationals for long periods during November and the 6 nations window, Montoya Wiese and Pollard less so. That is why squad strength is so important
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:17 am
wormus wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:34 am Here is todays BBC article on the appointment of Hanro as our Captain for this season.

We are going to be without our England internationals for long periods during November and the 6 nations window, Montoya Wiese and Pollard less so. That is why squad strength is so important
There's a little summary I've put together in the first post on the injuries/suspensions thread of what rounds different internationals are missing (note for example this is the minimum games missed, I highly doubt for example Wiese or Montoya will be back playing less than a week after playing a game the other side of the world)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:38 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:17 am

There's a little summary I've put together in the first post on the injuries/suspensions thread of what rounds different internationals are missing (note for example this is the minimum games missed, I highly doubt for example Wiese or Montoya will be back playing less than a week after playing a game the other side of the world)
Totally agree. The one thing in our favour is that last game for both is in South Africa, so in terms of travelling there will be very little time zone difference for them to get used to though the length of flight will obviously have some effect. Fitness permitting I would expect both to be in the squad for Sale at home.
England will be interesting to see which players we do loose. IMO there is only 1 certainty and that’s Steward. Highly likely I would say Heyes, Chessum, JVP and Youngs. Possibles, a lot depends on the fitness of other players, I would say Martin, Kelly, Porter and Potter.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Weise and Montoya will have had no or rest from the start of last season. I think they will require some time out if we are not to break them.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:33 pm Weise and Montoya will have had no or rest from the start of last season. I think they will require some time out if we are not to break them.
Don’t agree with that totally JTG they have probably done less physically than if they were in pre season, for instance this weekend there are no Southern Hemisphere internationals while all the sides re position themselves.
Neither plays a full 80 for their country and they both give the impression of the more they play the stronger they become.
All IMO of course.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:33 pm Weise and Montoya will have had no or rest from the start of last season. I think they will require some time out if we are not to break them.
Dont think that either player have had proper break with SA playing Wales and Argentina hosting Scotland.
Both should be given some proper downtime.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:39 pm
Don’t agree with that totally JTG they have probably done less physically than if they were in pre season, for instance this weekend there are no Southern Hemisphere internationals while all the sides re position themselves.
Neither plays a full 80 for their country and they both give the impression of the more they play the stronger they become.
All IMO of course.
Personally I'd rest Montoya but get Wiese back playing.

Both players are ones that do get into a rhythm of playing, so playing more is a positive, but I'd give Montoya a proper break for the following reasons

1: His knee injury, he dropped out late due to a knee injury March/April time last year, since then he's had lots of strapping and has missed games over the injury. I'd rather that is rested now than an enforced rest in a final...

2: Lineout throwing is something you need to practice, it's all timing and rhythm. Needs to get used to throwing to our calls again so I'd give him some practice.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 pm
Dont think that either player have had proper break with SA playing Wales and Argentina hosting Scotland.
I have never been a fan of this blanket approach of treating players. Each is an individual and needed to be treated as such. No doubt the discussions will take place with the players and the appropriate plan will be put in place. But just because player A needs a rest doesn’t mean that player B does.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:14 pm
I have never been a fan of this blanket approach of treating players. Each is an individual and needed to be treated as such. No doubt the discussions will take place with the players and the appropriate plan will be put in place. But just because player A needs a rest doesn’t mean that player B does.
I feel this shows a lack of understanding of the toll on the body when playing too much without appropriate recovery time. Just because a player isn’t English and isn’t covered by certain regulations doesn’t mean it’s ok to overplay them.
Yes, we want our top players on the pitch as often as possible but not at the increased risk of burnout or injury, leading to shortened careers.
I’m afraid losing internationals for periods of the season is one of those things to accept these days.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:30 pm
I feel this shows a lack of understanding of the toll on the body when playing too much without appropriate recovery time. Just because a player isn’t English and isn’t covered by certain regulations doesn’t mean it’s ok to overplay them.
Yes, we want our top players on the pitch as often as possible but not at the increased risk of burnout or injury, leading to shortened careers.
I’m afraid losing internationals for periods of the season is one of those things to accept these days.
You have completely misinterpreted what I’m saying. I’m all for players given rest periods, but why does each player need exactly the same. Some players would rather play on and as long as they can be trusted to look after their bodies, along with S &C teams and medical then have that flexibility built in. Why does a winger need the same rehab as a tighthead prop.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

No brainer for Captain -Move on
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:44 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:30 pm

You have completely misinterpreted what I’m saying. I’m all for players given rest periods, but why does each player need exactly the same. Some players would rather play on and as long as they can be trusted to look after their bodies, along with S &C teams and medical then have that flexibility built in. Why does a winger need the same rehab as a tighthead prop.
Certain injuries are more common in some positions than others but whatever position you play, your shoulders and knees in particular are always susceptible to the rigours of training and playing.