Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps still in the mire

Post by Darc Tiger »

Coventry City's home game tomorrow has been postponed as the pitch is unplayable following the Commonwealth 7s... Planned pitch maintenance did not happen.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Seems no contractor would take on the job of repairing the pitch unless they were paid up front, it can only be a matter of time now.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:06 pm Seems no contractor would take on the job of repairing the pitch unless they were paid up front, it can only be a matter of time now.
Is that true?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

According to a poster on the unoffy, I live in Scotland and I've lost my local contact to find out these things.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 pm Coventry City's home game tomorrow has been postponed as the pitch is unplayable following the Commonwealth 7s... Planned pitch maintenance did not happen.
https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2022/august ... postponed/

Pictures don't look good
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:38 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 pm Coventry City's home game tomorrow has been postponed as the pitch is unplayable following the Commonwealth 7s... Planned pitch maintenance did not happen.
https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2022/august ... postponed/

Pictures don't look good
That looks dreadful
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Presumably, Wasps (or the stadium owners, if different) received payment for the usage during the commonwealth games? And it could hardly come as a surprise that, having had a lot of use the pitch would need attention. It does seem that there is a deep problem there.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... t/#respond

Things taking a turn for the worse?
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I'd hope we're keeping in touch with Barbeary and the Willis boys...
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I wish this was all a surprise and maybe some of it is just bad luck with the timing of Covid but it seemed more likely than not when they first did it. This could be a big problem for English Rugby, Wasps is a very recognised brand in the wider world, and along with Harlequins is possibly one of two more recognised than us (for reasons outside of ignominy, Sarries get that one). If they fold it reflects badly upon the sport, even if it's through their own stupidity, and if they can fold anyone else can, which may make sponsorship harder to come by. All of that and not even touching on a whole squad of players jobless in a market already relatively saturated by the reduced salary cap, it'll be a dark day if this goes the way it's looking like it's going...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As I’ve said before my knowledge of such issues is limited.
Given that all that Crofty says is true could this be a case for Government intervention or would that just be pouring petrol on the fire.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:47 am As I’ve said before my knowledge of such issues is limited.
Given that all that Crofty says is true could this be a case for Government intervention or would that just be pouring petrol on the fire.
I don't think you would, or indeed should, see government intervention in saving a sporting team. That would ask all sorts of questions as to why Wasps and why not previous clubs that have gone under. The only thing I could see happening, if voted on, is an emergency increase in the salary cap to allow the recruitment of Wasps players if they went under.

That said, I do think that they will start and finish this season but, if nothing changes, that could be it. I can see the bigger named players jumping ship and few players being willing to take the risk of signing for them.

Sadly, rugby only has itself to blame for this. Simple fact is that the club game does not have the income and funding to support what players are looking for in the way of salaries (not in any way saying that players do not deserve the wages but the clubs are struggling to afford them). Then you have the issue regarding internationals. These are the players that people will know and can drive new supporters into the grounds but they are hardly there and that does not help.

Sadly club rugby needs a massive shakeup and almost a reboot at the highest level to make is sustainable for years to come.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:00 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:47 am As I’ve said before my knowledge of such issues is limited.
I don't think you would, or indeed should, see government intervention in saving a sporting team. That would ask all sorts of questions as to why Wasps and why not previous clubs that have gone under. The only thing I could see happening, if voted on, is an emergency increase in the salary cap to allow the recruitment of Wasps players if they went under.

That said, I do think that they will start and finish this season but, if nothing changes, that could be it. I can see the bigger named players jumping ship and few players being willing to take the risk of signing for them.

Sadly, rugby only has itself to blame for this. Simple fact is that the club game does not have the income and funding to support what players are looking for in the way of salaries (not in any way saying that players do not deserve the wages but the clubs are struggling to afford them). Then you have the issue regarding internationals. These are the players that people will know and can drive new supporters into the grounds but they are hardly there and that does not help.

Sadly club rugby needs a massive shakeup and almost a reboot at the highest level to make is sustainable for years to come.
Totally agree and those that were around were saying this 25 years ago. It’s not just the top tier clubs that are affected but the cascading effect that then goes all the way down the leagues.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

When the game went pro, clubs with no grounds of their own took decisions, Orrell for example chose to bail out and some like London Scottish settled for semi pro, we are aware what happened to London Welsh. I think Wasps were in trouble from day one, if you look at how Gosforth went is an example of cutting your cloth after Hall left them with no money, they could have folded, but built up again instead, off the pitch it looks like Wasps were on poor foundations from the get go. Briz had to step back as have Wuss to a certain extent, both Harlequins and Saints had to re group in the Championship, both us and Barf had lucky escapes from relegation. I said some time ago the financial crisis even before covid could sort out the weaker clubs, finances have hit several clubs in the National Leagues, with some having over stretched having to start again, Rugby Lions being one example.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 am When the game went pro, clubs with no grounds of their own took decisions, Orrell for example chose to bail out and some like London Scottish settled for semi pro, we are aware what happened to London Welsh. I think Wasps were in trouble from day one, if you look at how Gosforth went is an example of cutting your cloth after Hall left them with no money, they could have folded, but built up again instead, off the pitch it looks like Wasps were on poor foundations from the get go. Briz had to step back as have Wuss to a certain extent, both Harlequins and Saints had to re group in the Championship, both us and Barf had lucky escapes from relegation. I said some time ago the financial crisis even before covid could sort out the weaker clubs, finances have hit several clubs in the National Leagues, with some having over stretched having to start again, Rugby Lions being one example.
Wasps is an almost unique problem. A team that is expected to compete near the top without the support of the funding to do anything like that, hence the resort to borrowing and alternative revenue streams and the current situation. One has to ask if they are any better than London Welsh, spending beyond thier means chasing success. The fact is that a number of clubs are or were on the brink. If the stories are correct, covid nearly took us down, let alone the clubs with lesser support and funding.

Sadly, there will always be one or two clubs looking to pay for sucess that will up the cost in player wages for everyone.

Rugby has a massive problem in that the risk and carreer length means that players should earn 10 times what they do now but the levels of income amongst the clubs means that, when you look at what can be afforded, players should be earning about half of what they do now. There is no easy answer.

Sadly, I can see franchises happening along with central contracts and everything that we as fans dread and hate. The problem is that we are competing for fans with the unstoppable juggernaut that is football. When the lowest division clubs are getting in more fans than most top level rugby clubs sides, you know that there is an issue. As to how you fill more seats at rugby stadium, there is no easy answer. The harshest suggestion, fully ring fence the premier league but have a minimum attendance requirement. A club is given 3 years to inrease average attendance to an agreed level and, if this fails, then they are removed from the league and applications for other clubs, inlcluding those in Wales and Scotland, are taken to replace them. Perhaps it is time to address the issue of supported levels head on rather then bury our heads in the sand, find some clubs that can get 10000 fans throught the gates week in and week out rather than rely on the more popular travelling clubs to boost their attendance numbers each year whilst making them pay a premium for the privelege