Top priority/biggest loss

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Top priority/biggest loss

Post by Ian Cant »

Freddie Steward will be sort after by other clubs but as he is contracted to us for another season then I hope by Christmas we will hear that he has extended his contract! What a great present to us all that would be.
All our young players will be targets for other clubs so the key to lots of them staying is Steve Borthwick . He stays and I would, as a player, want to stay.
In the meantime: just enjoy the players representing us next season.
One game at a time starting with a Exeter where most of the Premiership Winning side won’t be available!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian makes a good point about the difference between the premiership final team and possible team v Exeter. Thought I would compare the 2 just to see where we may be light given the number of potential absentees.

Final team - Steward, Ashton, Moroni, Porter, Potter, Ford, Wigglesworth, Genge, Montoya, Cole, Chessum, Green, Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese.

Possible v Exeter, - Watson, Potter, Scott, Kelly, Nadolo, Burns, Youngs, Cronin, Claire, Cole, Wells, Green, Liebenberg, Reffell, Jansen.

IMO Even though there are 6 changes in the back line for me there isn’t a great deal of drop in quality especially given that Burns played most of the final anyway.
Up front maybe different certainly in the front 5. Genge Montoya and Chessum all missing, replacing them Cronin, who will do a fine job, Claire good premiership hooker, and Wells who has never let the club down. Biggest loss there is Montoya, though Exeter will be without Cowan Dickie.
Back row again any team would miss Wiese, I think Reffell will be straight in as doesn’t have the mandatory rest the England lads have, and Liebenberg is quality. Borthwick could decide to go down Liebenberg at 8 route with Martin at 6 but either will be capable of doing a job.

So in summary around 10 changes from the team that won the final but still a very formidable unit.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Who/what is the least reliable source of rugby transfer news? Fissler in TRP or The Ruck?🤔
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The ruck I'd say are less accurate, though Fissler makes more incorrect claims, just he makes more of them.

Shock horror, two clubs likely losing their starting fullback are looking to see if they can sign the top fullback in the league.

Player on his first senior contract with us who has a break clause for next year, is looking to increase his salary now he's a top international fullback.

Neither of these are surprising statments, but this is the point they miss:

Tigers are now a closed book their end to most media now, especially on the contract side, so most rumours come from the other end of negotiation table agents etc. Now does Steward possibly finding out what other clubs will pay him (i.e. finding out his proper market value) mean he'll definitely sign on the dotted line. No, because there's this great thing called negotiations that will happen.

No way with him on holiday and not speaking to the club directly would he be completely shutting the door on negotiations. For example, Tigers offer him initially X, he says no I want Y. Tigers say lets get round a table and chat when you're back for pre-season.

Other clubs however do not have the luxury of just being able to chat on a weekday, they need to do a lot of negotiations through agents and digital communication methods.

Time to worry about Steward yet... NOPE, doesn't mean he won't leave, but there's a heck of a lot to go on first.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It’s gonna be open/silly season on us from now on now that we are the big dogs again. People will do their best to unsettle us,which is another thing that has sadly crept over from wendyball,but I’m sure we will just get on with it and crack on. If players go they go,I’d be devastated if Steward left but (a) I don’t think he will,why would he? and (b) if he did sadly go I would back the club in this state to find a more than capable replacement for him. I mean we’ve just lost a world class FH and replaced him with another world class FH!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Worth remembering that his affordability to Tigers increases because of his academy credits plus we could still make him marquee, I believe?