Commonwealth games - Aussie carried into touch

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Not a jock

Commonwealth games - Aussie carried into touch

Post by Not a jock »

I'm curious - are the regulations for held up in the tackle / maul different in 7s to 15s? If not, why didn't the other Aussis try to keep him in the field of play? (apart from one belated effort that was too late).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/commonwe ... s/62360828
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Commonwealth games - Aussie carried into touch

Post by Offside »

I think the rest of the Aussie team did not think on their feet and realise what they could do.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Got to say that was clinical from the blitz boks to win the gold medal. I don’t think Fiji had the ball first half ! JC Prestorious superb, sign him up !
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Not a jock wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:20 pm I'm curious - are the regulations for held up in the tackle / maul different in 7s to 15s? If not, why didn't the other Aussis try to keep him in the field of play? (apart from one belated effort that was too late).
The explanation came in a later match. It didn’t become a maul until an Australian joined in. At which point, you’d inevitably get the loss of possession as it “collapses “. I believe it’s the same in 15s, could actually be a useful tactic. Also, taking time to walk it off the pitch ate into their yellow card.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
bendy

Post by bendy »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:20 pm Got to say that was clinical from the blitz boks to win the gold medal. I don’t think Fiji had the ball first half ! JC Prestorious superb, sign him up !
The BBC have got Fiji winning the gold medal, so I was a little confused by your comments here!

Obviously my first mistake was believing the Beeb know, or care, the first thing about union.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Not a jock wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:20 pm I'm curious - are the regulations for held up in the tackle / maul different in 7s to 15s? If not, why didn't the other Aussis try to keep him in the field of play? (apart from one belated effort that was too late).
Same laws for being held up in open play, no tackle was made and the ball unplayable (choked) so scrum goes to the team going forward. In this case they drove him legally into touch and lost possession anyway.

The only difference to this is when a ball is caught from a kick in open play and a maul is 'immediately' formed, scrum is then awarded to the ball catchers team if it then becomes unplayable.