Predictions for 2022-23 season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Predictions for 2022-23 season

Post by ay2oh »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:30 pm I think this next season is one of the hardest to predict due to the reduction in salary cap, international call ups and clubs with injury worries: for us Dolly, Kelly and Watson!
Exeter will certainly come good again with us first missing far more players than us, they will be out to hammer us. Sarries too, in the first few weeks, will really be tough.
I’m not expecting us to do much this season so to get to the top 4 in the Premiership would be fantastic then, if we have a fully fit squad who knows what we can do.
Saracens are my favourites to win it.
I hope for a Tigers’ sake most teams will be able to beat any team on their day which means after Christmas we can push for the top 4.
But, what do I know!
AFAIK Kelly and Watson are fit.
A2O
glenn

Post by glenn »

I would be very surprised to see Quinn top 4 this year . With Smith away (probably) , care not looking great in the summer. Their axis won't be there all season, they have relied on year after year prior. Also they will lack quality at centre for a chunk of the season too.
Watch out for Glaws kicking on this year!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

glenn wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:57 am I would be very surprised to see Quinn top 4 this year . With Smith away (probably) , care not looking great in the summer. Their axis won't be there all season, they have relied on year after year prior. Also they will lack quality at centre for a chunk of the season too.
don’t think Gloucester have got the minerals when the going gets tough.
A2O
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:34 am
glenn wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:57 am I would be very surprised to see Quinn top 4 this year . With Smith away (probably) , care not looking great in the summer. Their axis won't be there all season, they have relied on year after year prior. Also they will lack quality at centre for a chunk of the season too.
Yes, they’ll cause the odd upset. But when push comes to shove, I don’t think they’re strong enough up front or have depth in the midfield.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:01 am
ay2oh wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:34 am
Yes, they’ll cause the odd upset. But when push comes to shove, I don’t think they’re strong enough up front or have depth in the midfield.
IMO Gloucester season will depend on how many times they loose Hastings to Scotland. They may be lucky as with Russell being their first choice 10 Townsend seems keen on turning Kinghorn into a 10 as well. They may make top 4 but that’ll be it.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

My predictions

1. Saracens - Like almost everybody have lost a bit of quality but they are so well coached and they will be looking for revenge
2. Tigers - Feel like the squad is looking good but we may lose a couple of those tight games we got away with last year
3. Northampton - Ended the season strongly, if they can start well they are definitely contenders IMO
4. Quins - They've definitely lost quality in their pack and international call ups aren't going to help, think they'll scrape top 4
5. Gloucester - Managed to keep the squad together, expect them to be in a tussle with Quins for 4th spot
6. Irish - Lost a few stars but they were brutally unlucky to draw so much last season, think they'll do well this year
7. Exeter - Probably the biggest losers on paper transfers wise this year, another tough season at Sandy Park I think
8. Sale - Only real improvement for me is Ford, everything else is a downgrade transfer wise, think they could struggle
9. Bristol - ^ this but with Genge, they'll get some big wins but will be very inconsistent
10. Wasps - Part of me thinks they'll do well this year but they've lost so many stalwarts, probably a transition season
11. Worcester - Still a pretty weak squad but Diamond will give them some steel
12. Bath - Think they'll get a couple wins early on but then crumble, don't rate Van Graan or their signings at all
13. Newcastle - Can't see where the improvement is going to come from, think it'll be between them or bath for bottom place
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is there relegation this season or is it next? Thanks
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
bendy

Post by bendy »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:00 pm Is there relegation this season or is it next? Thanks
Next season (ie 23/24). But I wonder if that's now going to be dependent on there being someone who can meet the promotion criteria.

I'm not convinced the league will want to drop a team.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

bendy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:00 pm Is there relegation this season or is it next? Thanks
Next season (ie 23/24). But I wonder if that's now going to be dependent on there being someone who can meet the promotion criteria.

I'm sure I read that one of the teams was sorting out their ground status. Could've been Doncaster,maybe if they don't win the Championship the RFU will consider countback which I'm sure they've tried before.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:59 pm

I'm sure I read that one of the teams was sorting out their ground status. Could've been Doncaster,maybe if they don't win the Championship the RFU will consider countback which I'm sure they've tried before.
Cornish Pirates applied for (and got I think) planning permission for a new Stadium that would be prem compliant
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:16 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:59 pm

Cornish Pirates applied for (and got I think) planning permission for a new Stadium that would be prem compliant
Thanks,Doncaster too! Gonna be an interesting Championship next season now. Am I right that if Ealing were to win it but didn't qualify for the prem the losing finalist then get the chance to be promoted? Then losing SF.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

I read an article at the weekend that said any regular England players will miss 11 premiership games next season due to RFU rules around rest period etc, so the whole table could be a surprise.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I too, cannot call this one. So many personnel changes across the spectrum of clubs, plus International call ups, and injuries make this coming season's outcome up in the air .Sarries, Quins, Gloucester, Saints and of course our beloved
Tigers should all be in the mix

A dark horse, feel, could be Sale.
Bring it on, let battle commence..
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SuperEagle »

Tigers will go back to back and win the final more comfortably next season than we did this
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Very hard to predict as I fear we will miss more key players to international duty than I would have hoped-we are indeed a victim of our own success
That said SB’s game and squad management, investment in players at the right time and overall decision making has been relatively faultless so I remain positive as always. I will therefore continue to work on last season’s game by game ethos-it’s also much easier this way as I don’t have to commit to a rash decision or stick my neck out with outrageous predictions ! Bring on the next game