Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:19 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:16 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:32 pm Shazam on Twitter is predicting Simmons to have a breakout season, given both JVP and Youngs may be away together I think he could well be right!
Would be good if true but I think we might see Edwards come into the first team this season. He's got the kicking game and pass to slot in and make things tick over in a Wigglesworth style. Needs some more experience so the versatility of Simmons is a great squad option to bring back in. Simmons sniping runs from 9 are a nice option to have in the squad, he's not bad at 15 to boot.
I always thought he looked better at 15 ,handy player to have though playing wing too
Running in some drills during contact session in preseason at 9. Will be interesting to see where he ends up playing

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... Q-SNQ&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:19 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:16 pm

Would be good if true but I think we might see Edwards come into the first team this season. He's got the kicking game and pass to slot in and make things tick over in a Wigglesworth style. Needs some more experience so the versatility of Simmons is a great squad option to bring back in. Simmons sniping runs from 9 are a nice option to have in the squad, he's not bad at 15 to boot.
I always thought he looked better at 15 ,handy player to have though playing wing too
Running in some drills during contact session in preseason at 9. Will be interesting to see where he ends up playing

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... Q-SNQ&s=19
Thanks!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He would be a perfect bench 9 really especially if JVP Keeps getting called up
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

When Simmons and White were at the club, I thought Simmons was actually the better talent and we all know how White has now got capped for Scots.

But things are different now and I’ve always been impressed by Edwards. Gonna be a massive fight for that no.9 shirt even when Youngs and JVP are away.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

In the absence of the two 9s for England, I'm assuming it will mostly be Simmons and WW with Edwards maybe in PRC?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:00 pm In the absence of the two 9s for England, I'm assuming it will mostly be Simmons and WW with Edwards maybe in PRC?
Although I’m certain both will be at RWC, IMO it will only be England training camps where both are missing. I’ll probably be completely wrong 😂
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Be surprised if YBY plays again for England.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:01 pm Be surprised if YBY plays again for England.
He will still be number one imo
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:01 pm Be surprised if YBY plays again for England.
Fairly certain he’ll be at RWC Jones will want all that experience in the squad. Just question the need for him to play that many internationals before then. As long as he is in the training squads with all that experience he should be able to fit back in.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 pm
Fairly certain he’ll be at RWC Jones will want all that experience in the squad. Just question the need for him to play that many internationals before then. As long as he is in the training squads with all that experience he should be able to fit back in.
If Jones sees Smith as his starting 10 he'll be playing them together to build that understanding
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I don't think there is an alternative given the relative lack of experience of the younger 9s who might play for England: but who knows. A year ago we were all expecting GF to get that call up, but he didn't and we had a surplus at 10.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Eddie Jones will be planning for the World cup.

He will have either 2 or 3 scrum halves in the squad, probably 2 as he likes numbers elsewhere in the squad and with it only being in France it's not like you're dragging someone around the world in case of injuries.

He will want at least one experienced 9
Options based on who he's played
Youngs, Care (possibly Robson or Heinz).

I think with Ben staying due to family circumstances it gave Eddie one last chance to look at Care as his "experienced" 9, think Care blew it. I don't really see anyone else getting it before the next Autumn. So I think if fit Youngs is nailed on in the squad.

The other one or two scrum half spots I see as a shootout between Mitchell, Randall, Quirke and Van Poortvliet, think the favourites are probably Quirke and Van Poortvliet, but we'll see.

I think with Faf leaving Sale, it will be interesting how Quirke leads them at 9. I do think Quirke may struggle a bit early doors this season, he's coming off a bad injury, he won't have McGinty outside him who he's used to and a good 9-10 relationship helps a 9 look good, he probably won't have Ford either, so he's possibly coming back with a non-first choice 10 outside him.

Randall has struggled since Bristol have struggled, and Uren often seems like the more complete 9 at Bristol, whilst he has the X factor so do the others and does he stand out over the others? Not sure.

Mitchell, looks good first 50 in a game then often fades, yes he's got potential, but when fatigued seems to make more brain farts than others. Just don't see him as an Eddie player.

JVP... well after impressing vs Aus, I think he probably is favourite over Quirke, for me both him and Quirke can do the basics and the flashy stuff too. I think he's got two big things in his favour.
1) Youngs and Wigglesworth are literally two of the best in the business to learn and expand his game, with those two at Tigers think he's more likely to progress the most.
2) With YBY & WW at Tigers he's also least likely to be overloaded with gametime. With Faf gone Quirke will be heavily used, Mitchell plays every game it seems for Saints, and whilst Randall can rotate with Uren it's those 2 ahead of any 3rd choice so don't see him getting the same rotation as the others.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Great debate. Reference the Smith point, if JVP gets game time with Smith then they may well be the starting half backs. The one variable here is Tuilagi, if by some miracle he finds an extended run of fitness Jones is going to have him in at 12, he will then move Farrell back to 10.
I would be surprised if he didn’t take 3 scrum halves to RWC, as I would be surprised if he didn’t take 3 hookers and 3 tight heads but this is Jones.
Re Quirke going to be interesting how he develops as he is a real talent. Faff and Mcginty both leaving and if as rumoured Ford has indeed ruptured his Achilles he is going to have a big job on his hands
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:34 am Great debate. Reference the Smith point, if JVP gets game time with Smith then they may well be the starting half backs. The one variable here is Tuilagi, if by some miracle he finds an extended run of fitness Jones is going to have him in at 12, he will then move Farrell back to 10.
I would be surprised if he didn’t take 3 scrum halves to RWC, as I would be surprised if he didn’t take 3 hookers and 3 tight heads but this is Jones.
Re Quirke going to be interesting how he develops as he is a real talent. Faff and Mcginty both leaving and if as rumoured Ford has indeed ruptured his Achilles he is going to have a big job on his hands
If Manu is back fit he'll probably be back in at 13 where he's played most of his games for England. Eddie seemed to want a more physical option at 13 this summer with Porter coming in for Marchant. I mean he might as well as put one of the spare opensides there for the third test as Porter never got passed the ball but I digress.

Quirke and Wilkinson played a blinder at the start of last season Vs Quins. Kept the Quins forwards battling in their own half to the point they ran out of steam late on. Care and Smith really didn't control that game. Ford in at 10 will be a massive boost for Sale but the kids are alright.

I think the world cup squads are slightly bigger for next summer. Should allow for three scrum halfs. I'd expect Youngs plus two of Mitchell, JVP and Quirke. Randall got dropped after his Baabaas horror show and Care struggled in the third test. I think Care could still do a job off the bench but he doesn't seem up to starting at international level.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:24 pm When Simmons and White were at the club, I thought Simmons was actually the better talent and we all know how White has now got capped for Scots.

But things are different now and I’ve always been impressed by Edwards. Gonna be a massive fight for that no.9 shirt even when Youngs and JVP are away.
Me too, think Simmons caught glandular fever which, obviously, meant he lost a lot of ground to White. Then in the meantime JVP has come in and grabbed his opportunities.