LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:45 pm So our potential ‘first choice 23’ (if that’s even a thing under Borthwick) might be something like:

1. Cronin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Chessum
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Pollard
11. Potter
12. Kelly
13. Porter
14. Watson
15. Steward

16. Dolly
17. Whitcombe
18. Heyes
19. Snyman
20. Martin
21. JvP
22. Burns
23. Murimurivalu

Plenty of options but crazy to think there are 19 Internationals in that 23 (granted some retired or no longer representing their country) but what a solid, experienced and versatile squad we have most of whom have experience playing at the highest level!

With the likes of Leatigaga, Clare, Green, Henderson, Jansen, Cracknell, Wigglesworth, Gopperth, Ashton, Scott, Saumaki adding strength in depth and cover.. id say we are in phenomenal shape.. COYT
Ok this may be a bit of a stretch, but at the end of the season this may be the first choice team

1. Whitcombe
2. Montoya
3. Heyes
4. Chessum
5. Henderson
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Wiese
9. Van Poortvliet
10. Pollard
11. Potter
12. Kelly
13. Porter
14. Watson
15. Steward

16. Dolly
17. Cronin
18. Cole
19. Wells
20. Martin
21. Youngs
22. Burns
23. Cokanasiga
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would say Heyes has made some good progress this tour and will be pushing Coley for the starting shirt once he is available.
Whitcombe will get more game time this season as unlikely Cronin will be doing Genge’s 70 minute shifts and as such will be pushing on.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

At the moment it looks like both Dolly and Montoya have injuries which might place question marks on when we see them play again. Do we have sufficient hookers going forward?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just thought I’ll put this in here

Fissler saying Talks with Steward have stalled and he might leave.

Now to put cold water on this.

I doubt tigers have even started talks with Steward considering the last 2 months we have
1. Been building up towards the Plays offs and finals
2. He’s then been away in Australia playing rugby.

So the chances of tigers doing any contracts talks in that time period is zero. Wouldn’t be fair to the player or us.

As I’ve said before if Fissler says that such and such has joined such and such it means it’s done anything else is usually 90% :censored:

I only put this up because I know someone is, but zero reasons to get stressed out about it.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:04 am At the moment it looks like both Dolly and Montoya have injuries which might place question marks on when we see them play again. Do we have sufficient hookers going forward?
3 capable of playing premiership Clare TCD and Vanes
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:16 am Just thought I’ll put this in here

I doubt tigers have even started talks with Steward considering the last 2 months we have

So the chances of tigers doing any contracts talks in that time period is zero. Wouldn’t be fair to the player or us.

As I’ve said before if Fissler says that such and such has joined such and such it means it’s done anything else is usually 90% :censored:

I only put this up because I know someone is, but zero reasons to get stressed out about it.
His next story will be about JVP and that will be :censored: too. Can’t see either of them going anywhere but both will need hefty pay increases. As an aside when 2 marquee players return to the cap would one of them eligible
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Our future stars have to be retained. Its that simple. The ethos is ingrained, otherwise we end up with the journeyman chaos of pre 2019.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nothing to suggest they won’t be retained either
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:37 am Our future stars have to be retained. Its that simple. The ethos is ingrained, otherwise we end up with the journeyman chaos of pre 2019.
Totally agree otherwise a lot of the work done will be wasted. Unfortunately due to the number of high quality young players we have there will be some losses due to financial constraints.
Off the top of my head 1st team regulars 25 years old and under would include- Whitcombe, Dolly, Heyes, Chessum, Martin, Reffell, JVP, Kelly, Porter, Potter Steward. As well as a number in their mid to late 20s Montoya, Liebenberg Wiese. That’s a heck of a list of talent and doesn’t include such as Jansen who I’m sure will make the step up.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Firstly to say it’s hard to believe there’s any mileage in this.
However, contract talks about any player have minimal involvement with either the player or those involved directly in the playing side from the club.
The talks will be between Leigh Jones/Richard Wilks and a player’s agent, with a bit of catch up on both sides with SB/player as necessary.
This model allows non rugby aspects to progress whatever is happening on the pitch or wherever a player might be.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

“ However, contract talks about any player have minimal involvement with either the player or those involved directly in the playing side from the club.”

Not really true.
It’s the case in football on the whole but not so much rugby.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:39 am “ However, contract talks about any player have minimal involvement with either the player or those involved directly in the playing side from the club.”

Not really true.
It’s the case in football on the whole but not so much rugby.
It absolutely is
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I'm not going to get too stressed about this, unless another club has already tapped him up about being able to earn ££££ with them.

Steward has gone from a development contract to first choice full back for both club and country in the last two years. He is going to be expecting a big money pay rise, rightly so IMO, but the reality is what he thinks he's worth and what the club thinks he's worth could be two very different figures.

If the club is serious about keeping Steward, personally I think he'll stay.

However, if another club has tapped him up with an eye watering salary, it'll make it that much harder.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

He’ll be getting £20k per game from England + I can’t see the club not doing everything to keep him.
A2O
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

He’ll be getting £20k per game from England + I can’t see the club not doing everything to keep him.
A2O