LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DMATiger

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by DMATiger »

Very sad to see Moroni go but understand him having friends up there. Not bad centre options at the moment but will miss his defence
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by ay2oh »

Good luck Mattias you have been great for us.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Fabulous player but for me the fact he is off to Falcons says everything about the current state of the transfer market and the impact of a reduced salary cap
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:09 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 am with the state of the rumours going there is the slight worry that Montoya isn’t actually close to signing a long term deal with tigers early as has been stated …
Hate to say it as a big Moroni fan , but for me Montoya is different gravy and a truly world class player who has performed magnificently for Tigers all season. I sincerely hope we can secure his signature on a long term deal.
If Socino goes too as rumoured then we could be at a point where Montoya has no countrymen around him so he may head off. Having 2 others here (Lavannini and Moroni) may have helped secure him in the first place, but hopefully has enough mates now making him want to stay.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

This does feel really strange that we have a player who wants to stay and who I assume the club would have liked to have kept (selection in the team for the final would seem to support that) but due to other reasons (assuming cap or availability) we have had to let him go. Not sure I have seen that before as normally one party or the other wants rid.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:42 am This does feel really strange that we have a player who wants to stay and who I assume the club would have liked to have kept (selection in the team for the final would seem to support that) but due to other reasons (assuming cap or availability) we have had to let him go. Not sure I have seen that before as normally one party or the other wants rid.
I thought with Salvi it was a similarish scenario? I could be wrong as it was quite a while ago.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

wigworth wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:45 am
GB72 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:42 am This does feel really strange that we have a player who wants to stay and who I assume the club would have liked to have kept (selection in the team for the final would seem to support that) but due to other reasons (assuming cap or availability) we have had to let him go. Not sure I have seen that before as normally one party or the other wants rid.
I thought with Salvi it was a similarish scenario? I could be wrong as it was quite a while ago.
Thought Salvi was looking at signing a contract elsewhere (France I think) and that fell through and we had already signed a replacement by the time that fell through and he was ready to accept the offer made.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:50 am
Thought Salvi was looking at signing a contract elsewhere (France I think) and that fell through and we had already signed a replacement by the time that fell through and he was ready to accept the offer made.
That rings a bell but I thought that initially he did want to stay but I might be wrong.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m sure you’re correct GB. I am wondering if it was maybe similar with Moroni weren’t there rumours of him looking for a move to France around the turn of the year.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Happened to Exeter with Santiago Cordero.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/46828945.amp
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Not sure but what is a little disheartening (and I am not looking to start a row or open up a wound) is that we have a player who was an integral part of our season, part of our final team who has announced he is leaving, his new club have, I understand, announced his arrival and there has been no statement of thanks or comment from Tigers. If nothing else, the Instagram posts last night should have made it clear that this would be a story today that needed preparation for. Guessing it will all form part of a later statement but still....
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:52 am

I’m sure you’re correct GB. I am wondering if it was maybe similar with Moroni weren’t there rumours of him looking for a move to France around the turn of the year.
I do remember someone posting on here something to that effect, which you can't really blame him for if he was brought into Tigers on the relative cheap due to the Jaguares packing up, the piper was always going to have to be payed at some point.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Such a shame to lose Moroni. Maybe this is part of the team's evolution, getting more pace/creativity into midfield?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

What is odd is nothing from tigers still.

Did falcons jump the gun?
Are we waiting to sign someone up done and dusted ready to counter leavers announcement?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:13 pm Such a shame to lose Moroni. Maybe this is part of the team's evolution, getting more pace/creativity into midfield?
Without doubt we will need to evolve our style to stay at the top, so, indeed that may involve midfield as it's integral to any game plan.