LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:53 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:36 am
trendylfj wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:14 am I was watching carefully Moroni's face yesterday and he didn't look like he felt he had a future with us. Just my opinion and I have no basis other than my gut feeling that he now will be going. I really hope that I am wrong and it was just his "game face" as I do want him to stay if we can afford him.
Agreed he looked detached and somewhat dejected as did MVS during the post match celebrations,
MVS prob because he's missed most of the season with Injury and Internationals.
True. I really felt for him and the other players who missed out.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by sapajo »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:16 am
trendylfj wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:14 am I was watching carefully Moroni's face yesterday and he didn't look like he felt he had a future with us. Just my opinion and I have no basis other than my gut feeling that he now will be going. I really hope that I am wrong and it was just his "game face" as I do want him to stay if we can afford him.
Agreed he looked detached and somewhat dejected as did MVS during the post match celebrations,
I take it you’ve not seen the photo Tigers posted from the dressing room? Shoots down your theory in flames. Not saying he’s not off, but seems to be enjoying the result as much as Gengey and Fordy.
If you say so, I was talking about his manner on the pitch not during the celebrations they are clearly not comparable.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Got to say I loved seeing Taylor Gough celebrating with George Martin and the trophy on Instagram!!!

So many heartwarming storys about this #TigersFamily
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Has Hegarty’s presence with us next season been confirmed yet. I think he has done a good job for us when required, but does seem to have been out in the cold a little since the PRC semi.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think it sort of sums up things sometimes

We win the league for the first time in 9 years and people are analyzing players faces and how they celebrate lol
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:17 am

I thought a couple of times his face said, oh how i wish they would give me a contract, I want to be part of this wonderful club. :smt010
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:02 am Think Porter and Porter are excellent examples of top level coaching. Lots of talk about recruitment but it only works if your coaching makes players better- I don’t see how they can be separated.

It’s the same in every sport. The best coaches should make every player better- Liverpool do it in football for example and people say ‘oh their recruitment is excellent’, that’s only because every player they sign is made better by their coaches.

Tigers used to have that ability to improve players- expertise and hard work would turn also rans into international level players- it was lost for quite a few years but it is definitely back now.
Jansen looks to be another potential gem along the same lines
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:24 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:02 am Think Porter and Porter are excellent examples of top level coaching. Lots of talk about recruitment but it only works if your coaching makes players better- I don’t see how they can be separated.

It’s the same in every sport. The best coaches should make every player better- Liverpool do it in football for example and people say ‘oh their recruitment is excellent’, that’s only because every player they sign is made better by their coaches.

Tigers used to have that ability to improve players- expertise and hard work would turn also rans into international level players- it was lost for quite a few years but it is definitely back now.
Jansen looks to be another potential gem along the same lines
Agreed I’m looking forward to seeing his progress next season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:18 pm

I thought a couple of times his face said, oh how i wish they would give me a contract, I want to be part of this wonderful club. :smt010
Out of interest do we know if he was offered a contract which he rejected, or he has not been offered anything
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:19 am

I take it you’ve not seen the photo Tigers posted from the dressing room? Shoots down your theory in flames. Not saying he’s not off, but seems to be enjoying the result as much as Gengey and Fordy.
If you say so, I was talking about his manner on the pitch not during the celebrations they are clearly not comparable.
Looked the normal Moroni, fired up and fiesty. His defensive skills were brilliant and help keep Sarries hemmed in.

He looked pretty happy afterwards. He's said he'd like to stay and he enjoys it here. Whether that manifests itself in a new contract or not we'll see. The salary cap dropping is tough.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:27 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:19 am

Looked the normal Moroni, fired up and fiesty. His defensive skills were brilliant and help keep Sarries hemmed in.

He looked pretty happy afterwards. He's said he'd like to stay and he enjoys it here. Whether that manifests itself in a new contract or not we'll see. The salary cap dropping is tough.
I'm sure it will be worse now, all of this winning team will be looking for winning bonuses now, and I guess cost of living increases, although its possibly too late for that one.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:26 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:18 pm

Out of interest do we know if he was offered a contract which he rejected, or he has not been offered anything
From the rumours I'd heard, Moroni has not had a single contract offer from the club (though that was a few weeks ago that I heard that particular rumor)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Sadly, a sign of a lower cap

Alternativelly, (Rant on) the Prem and RFU can make a dynamic decision for once by realising we are no longer in a pandemic, and actually put players first for once by starting to raise the wages cap back up so squad size and wages start recovering to meet the often ignored fact that it’s the players who are putting their bodies on the line……
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:11 pm Sadly, a sign of a lower cap

Alternativelly, (Rant on) the Prem and RFU can make a dynamic decision for once by realising we are no longer in a pandemic, and actually put players first for once by starting to raise the wages cap back up so squad size and wages start recovering to meet the often ignored fact that it’s the players who are putting their bodies on the line……
I take your point but clubs were losing money way before the pandemic
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Maybe the best thing for the majority of players would be to have a cap on individual wages too.