Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Premiership Final v Saracens - 18th June 2022 KO 15:00

Post by wigworth »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:40 am
wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:37 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 am I said for a long time that I was sure a ref decision was going to decide the game and I’m so glad Barnes none red didn’t,but it could’ve! Still in dreamland
Yeah there defiantly seemed to be something up yesterday with all the finals having incidents that would have probably have been red cards earlier in the season, and the games ended up being better for it not being a undue influence on the game.

If Davies would have been red carded there would have always been an excuse for Sarries losing, fortunately there are no if and or buts.
For me Barnes bottled it for the 2nd week running when it comes to red carding any Saracens player. The fact that it would have decided the game does not change the letter of the law which he failed to adhere to.
I do agree that it probably should have been a red, although the Jamison Gibson Park incident was very similar and that only got a yellow so there is precedent. Of course it is much easier to take the decision after the victory and I will leave it at that, as a footnote on a great day.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It was beautiful seeing the camera pan to Farrells face after the final whistle,it was like when Aguerrrooo scored that goal and it panned to SAF after,great times!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I do not seem these tackles as the same. Gibson Park was an assist and closer to Scott’s that Davies , but Scott was not moving at all. I thought Gibson Park stepped in more than Scott but both do move their shoulder forward, if not their whole bodies. Davies was the first and only player making contact. Scott was the 3rd and the falling player fell into his shoulder. Davies was moving sideways rather than running at the opposition, a al Porter in France so lower level of danger. The issue is where is the one that differentiates those three incidents into red, yellow, pen only or play on. Thos Ines are moving during a season and from ref to ref and game to game. It is fine for the refs to talk through it but what they are saying and judging in those exchanges seems to be changing over time. We won. Sarries had no excuse of a red. It was definitely a yellow and we scored our points. They failed to score more during Scott’s yellow and taking the 3 was probably a mistake but taken on the back of our excellent defence and a feeling that they needed to draw first and then make the extra man count. Tigers held on 😁
Last edited by Offside on Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

For those of you in attendance what would you say the make up of the crowd was like? On TV it really did look like Tigers supporters were 80% of the crowd. It is also interesting to see the amount of congratulations we are getting from other team supporters on different message boards, I guess being terrible for a while and playing Sarries has softened some feeling towards us.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:55 am For those of you in attendance what would you say the make up of the crowd was like? On TV it really did look like Tigers supporters were 80% of the crowd. It is also interesting to see the amount of congratulations we are getting from other team supporters on different message boards, I guess being terrible for a while and playing Sarries has softened some feeling towards us.
Haha,yes the neutral were definitely supporting us yesterday!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:57 am
wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:55 am For those of you in attendance what would you say the make up of the crowd was like? On TV it really did look like Tigers supporters were 80% of the crowd. It is also interesting to see the amount of congratulations we are getting from other team supporters on different message boards, I guess being terrible for a while and playing Sarries has softened some feeling towards us.
Haha,yes the neutral were definitely supporting us yesterday!
I was there with my Sarries mate, and he said he’d never seen such a one sided club attendance at Twickenham.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well I was there and the Tigers supporters significantly outnumbered the Saracens support I would say around 6 to 1.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:30 pm How do you top this?! Double next year? 😉
That will be what SB is planning for already (I’d say tomorrow but I think he’d have started already) but why stop at the double …… what about the treble ?
Just win the next game.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:37 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:01 pm

Not going to comment on the yellow cards, thought Barnes had a decent game although Sarries did seem to get away with a lot of slowing the ball down but hey ho.. overall can't complain.
I will - one was a straight red under current laws. - no arm tackle, with force, straight to the head with no mitigation.

The other yellow was someone standing in the defensive line not actually making a tackle. Vunipola tackled by one of our players and fell onto our player who was stationary. That's an accidental, unavoidable collision. Not a true tackle that needed to be controlled in terms of safe impact.

The first was the ref bottling it. The second was a mistake with none of the other officials prepared to put the alternative pespective.
Well yes I do agree but didn’t want to get dragged into chat about the ref when the focus should be on the squad and the coaches. But yes, wrong call for me but no surprise with Sarries.

What I can now say with the benefit of hindsight is I’m glad he only gave a yellow. Had it been a red and we went on to win everyone would have been saying we only won because of the red card. As it was we can say we won fair and square and even with a controversial decision going against us we found a way to win.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:40 am
mol2 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:37 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:01 pm

Not going to comment on the yellow cards, thought Barnes had a decent game although Sarries did seem to get away with a lot of slowing the ball down but hey ho.. overall can't complain.
I will - one was a straight red under current laws. - no arm tackle, with force, straight to the head with no mitigation.

The other yellow was someone standing in the defensive line not actually making a tackle. Vunipola tackled by one of our players and fell onto our player who was stationary. That's an accidental, unavoidable collision. Not a true tackle that needed to be controlled in terms of safe impact.

The first was the ref bottling it. The second was a mistake with none of the other officials prepared to put the alternative pespective.
Well yes I do agree but didn’t want to get dragged into chat about the ref when the focus should be on the squad and the coaches. But yes, wrong call for me but no surprise with Sarries.

What I can now say with the benefit of hindsight is I’m glad he only gave a yellow. Had it been a red and we went on to win everyone would have been saying we only won because of the red card. As it was we can say we won fair and square and even with a controversial decision going against us we found a way to win.
Yes,great point!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just glad I’m not a referee. As I said during match time it does seem as though the referees have had a new directive about head contact as the Davies incident would have been a definite red 3 months ago.
It’s difficult to know how 2 different incidents ended up with the same level of sanction. From listening to Wayne, and this talk of bottling it is absurd, it depends on the starting point and from there the mitigation. Davies started out as a red, but the officials thought there was mitigation enough to drop it down to a yellow. Matt Scott on the other hand started as a yellow and they didn’t think there was mitigation to drop down to just a penalty, hence 2 yellows.
I, and wouldn’t imagine anyone else on here don’t know in-depth the protocols that the officials are going through, and everybody makes mistakes, but I think it is safe to assume that Barnes knows what he is doing far more than we do, and he has just officiated over one of the best finals in years where there was no foul play, and maybe 1 incident of chopsing I can remember.
For the record I would much rather watch a blood and guts traditional rugby match between 2 very good sides, than a couple of fancy Dan teams trying to out score each other
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I felt that during the 6N's our attack looked great under Burns and since Ford arrived back from England (In which they didn't play him at all) it hadn't clicked as often.

Burns passing was seriously crisp especially out wide, Wigglesworth game management at 9 was excellent
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Re the fans ... I actually think there was more Sarries than we all thought looking at the replay on tv ... they just did not make themselves heard!
Outplayed on field and in the stands😄
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:09 pm Personally I felt that during the 6N's our attack looked great under Burns and since Ford arrived back from England (In which they didn't play him at all) it hadn't clicked as often.

Burns passing was seriously crisp especially out wide, Wigglesworth game management at 9 was excellent
I know it is a bit odd to say given that we ended up winning but for me the biggest what if of the season has to be Ford, he was absolutely sensational at the start of the season then when he went away to England it never quite clicked again when he came back and then there was the injury, it is scary in a good way to think that we could have been even better this season. As you say Burns has been really good for us this year when we needed him most. It will be interesting to see how things play out next season with Pollard, Burns and Gopperth all of which are great players, I hope we can keep them all happy with enough game time.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:58 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:09 pm Personally I felt that during the 6N's our attack looked great under Burns and since Ford arrived back from England (In which they didn't play him at all) it hadn't clicked as often.

I know it is a bit odd to say given that we ended up winning but for me the biggest what if of the season has to be Ford, he was absolutely sensational at the start of the season then when he went away to England it never quite clicked again when he came back and then there was the injury, it is scary in a good way to think that we could have been even better this season. As you say Burns has been really good for us this year when we needed him most. It will be interesting to see how things play out next season with Pollard, Burns and Gopperth all of which are great players, I hope we can keep them all happy with enough game time.
With test matches international training, mandatory rest weekends etc. I’m sure everyone will get plenty of game time