Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Post by Tigerbeat »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:23 pm

Telegraph stating 22122 crowd. Looked far more than that. And an atmosphere even better than the Leinster game. Good on the Saints fans for the noise they made.

The pitch looked fantastic. Wonder if it’s been relaid recently.
Crowd was no more than stated in the Telegraph.
The pitch has not been relaid for over 2 years. It is going to be taken up in a few weeks time and a new playing surface put down. Has been a fantastic effort by Ed Mowe and his team to maintain the pitch even when some aspects could not be controlled. They have done their best to present a good playing surface.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Back from the game and still buzzing. That was a proper game! Must of had a little sand in my eye at the end of the game as my eyes started watering…. Guess it was the emotion of having sat through the highs then lows of the last decade from similar seats and realising Tigers (and Saints) are back! So currently treating myself to a single malt of some rarity which is saved for very special occasions. A virtual clink with Big Dai’s Remy across the counties!

For me “cometh the hour, cometh the man.” George Ford, take a bow. Or should it be Genge…or Montoya…or Weise? In fact, the whole team take a bow. My favourite moments - 1. Genge trying to bulldoze through the entire Saints team from the 22 just before the Steward try and looking like he’d get there! 2. The applause for Tiff and the Youngs family - a very touching moment and a reminder of the important things in life.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Agree with all the summaries on here and who stood out. I’d add Potter to that I thought he was superb in attack and defence today.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:59 pm
TigerintheCatStand wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 pm I'm looking forward to reading about a game I will barely recognise in The Sunday Times's report tomorrow........

Meanwhile the referee had blown for half time before any chat about Porter's card. I didn't think they could go back after the final whistle, half time whistle or conversation (in case of disputed tries). Has this rule been changed?
The foul play occurred before the whistle therefore the ref is entitled to go back and look at it.

I do find it strange that posters are questioning whether or not the ref and TMO didn’t know what they where doing checking the foul play
I agree with you very strongly, my reading of this thread, and most others is becoming very strained by the constant dialogue of criticism of refs decisions, comments every time we make the slightest of errors, are driven by negativity and very rarely any praise! A few posters spend the whole time just looking to call out faults from behind their phones etc. racing to get in first.
Yes we struggled today but it made for a fabulously tense and extremely tough game and we won, won against a team who finished fourth in the league, who came off the back of their massive win last week, they were at full strength for this game and we won!
Again I call on those ref critics to try referring and please spend less time spoiling my enjoyment when reading this forum.
Well done team today, I read about leaving Porter on bench, he was immense today and I wouldn't change a person for next week.
We may not be the most entertaining free flowing team but my goodness we know how to win a game and I applaud the whole team for doing that today.
Now to work out how to beat Sarries next week. I hope I can get a ticket, then they can bring me back home to Welford Road.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I cannot understand posters who say that Saints "deserved to win" yesterday's match. They created some good chances but failed to take them. Therefore they did not deserve to win. Tigers took their chances at the critical moments in the 2nd half - the 2 tries and Ford's drop goal - and are thus worthy winners. The team and coaching staff will be well aware of their own shortcomings in yesterday's game and the need to go up a level for the final. I believe they are capable of doing so.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I think yesterday is correctly called 'winning ugly'. For whatever reason, Saints can't seem to get it together against us.

I feel for the man, but I do wonder if Kelly was fit enough to return. His re-injury so early in the game weakened us, and I think I am right in saying it was Burns' channel down which Freeman scored. I find it curious that Nadolo wasn't brought on a lot sooner, especially given how poorly Saints had defended against him in previous games. I also think I would have started with Ashton on the wing. Is he injured?

Having watched the Sarries game, we'll need to get it together significantly more for the final as Sarries are a step up from Saints.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Having read some of the critical posts about the Tigers ( and Saints) during the game I’d like some of those posters to get down to the game to understand what happens!
1) This derby,(along with Gloucester v Bath and Munster v Leinster) is as good, if not better than any international in the Northern Hemisphere.
2) The atmosphere at the ground yesterday was sensation with proper fans from both sides giving their all just like their teams.
3) the fact it was Saints V Tigers brings different pressures and for a Tigers there was the added pressure piled on by everyone saying we’d win!
4) Many Saints fans, though gutted to have left, magnanimously said, “Obviously we are gutted to have lost but that was a proper derby full of passion, thunderous collisions and niggles like no other matches in the league.
5) After the week Tigers had had with the sad news about the wonderful Tiff, there was added pressure to “ win for Tom, her and Maisie. Maisie was probably our most enthusiastic fan yesterday, madly waving her flag and cheering the team on.
6) Kelly’s injury after only a few minutes caused a reshuffle and Burns again proved what a classy player he is with his creativity and incredible passion.
7) From sitting behind the posts, Saints scrum was hardly ever straight but fair play as the ref ( as is usual with him) let it go trying to get a flowing game.
Tigers know they haven’t played well in the last 3 weeks but have won.

Finally then, Sarries, yes, we will have to play better but now the pressure is off as to get to a final is beyond anyone’s dreams after the last few seasons. Although the last few games of last season hinted of a good campaign this season!
Now Tigers its time to peak. Hopefully, apart from Kelly, everyone will be fit.
A good week of training, no commenting to the press about what we will do then go out and give it one last shot.
And for me Ashton has to play. We need his running lines and speed.

We’ve won the most important final this season v Saints so we are Champions for now.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:44 am I find it curious that Nadolo wasn't brought on a lot sooner, especially given how poorly Saints had defended against him in previous games. I also think I would have started with Ashton on the wing. Is he injured?
Nadolo wasn't moving freely in the warm up, not sure he was 100%. As the game went on I was more and more confident we'd get the win and Borthwick may well have been the same. Saints looked tired and the players we had on were doing the job.

Ashton wasn't in the warm up, we had quite a few there making up the numbers like Matt Scott but didn't spot Ashton. Didn't spot Whitcombe either but Richardson, Vanes and Chessum Jnr were all taking part.

I think we got through that game without really having to engage top gear. There are some concerns, mainly around the lineout because we won't be able to give away ball like that to Sarries. Maul defence was exceptional though.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:36 pm I agree with you very strongly, my reading of this thread, and most others is becoming very strained by the constant dialogue of criticism of refs decisions, comments every time we make the slightest of errors, are driven by negativity and very rarely any praise!
Not significantly disagreeing with you, but if you want to see criticism of refs decisions, try looking at Saints message board for yesterday's game!
Personally, I see nothing wrong with active discussion on both play and refs decisions as long as we are measured, not personally abusive and abide by the rules of the forum. We're all extremely passionate about our team, and a variety of comment is expected. I don't feel there is quite so much of a lean towards the negatives as you do, but sometimes people focus on the negatives out of frustration. We all want the team to do well, and we all applaud their success, which this year has been (frankly) well beyond what any of us might have predicted.
I am reminded of a player interview early in the season (I forget the details) where a comment was made that under SB the players know what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe this is a classic example of 'keep it simple' but, to his significant credit in my eyes, SB seems to have captured the essence of successful coaching and leadership.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:30 am
Nadolo wasn't moving freely in the warm up, not sure he was 100%. As the game went on I was more and more confident we'd get the win and Borthwick may well have been the same. Saints looked tired and the players we had on were doing the job.

Ashton wasn't in the warm up, we had quite a few there making up the numbers like Matt Scott but didn't spot Ashton. Didn't spot Whitcombe either but Richardson, Vanes and Chessum Jnr were all taking part.

I think we got through that game without really having to engage top gear. There are some concerns, mainly around the lineout because we won't be able to give away ball like that to Sarries. Maul defence was exceptional though.
Thanks Sam - that's helpful. Re fitness: I really do think Aled W needs to take a great deal of credit for our team NOT looking tired and lasting a full 80 mins...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Agree totally with comments made by LE18 MH Tiger and Ian Cant.

Deal with Kelly injury they must have felt he was fit but no amount of fitness tests can replicate the demands of a game, I’m wondering if it was just a twinge as he was moving not too bad at the end.
I have to say that it was a master stroke by Borthwick to bring Burns on when most were expecting Nadolo.
The game wasn’t the prettiest but the side with the most points won, therefore the better side. The noise from the crowd really came over on the telly haven’t heard anything like that in years, I bet the top of the Crumbie was literally bouncing.

What a week it has been for that bunch of players, as Fordy said what the Youngs family has been through is unbelievable, but that team came through for them to a man, no histrionics no undue emotion just a calm professional performance.

As for next week, the result is almost secondary, the come back kids are where no one expected them to be last September, go out and enjoy yourselves boys, the start of a new dynasty is just round the corner.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Don't get me wrong, I think Ford is a class act, but to me, one of the biggest revelations this season has been Freddie Burns. Years ago, he was much more inconsistent than he is today: at times playing like the best 10 in the world, but at times not playing like that. I am thinking about certain England games particularly.
I wasn't initially convinced he was such an asset to the team as he has proved to be. I think coming on for Kelly yesterday was partly a reflection of his stature as an experienced, consistent operator. I don't know what his contract status is with Tigers, but I'd very much like to see him stay on next year.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:52 am Don't get me wrong, I think Ford is a class act, but to me, one of the biggest revelations this season has been Freddie Burns. Years ago, he was much more inconsistent than he is today: at times playing like the best 10 in the world, but at times not playing like that. I am thinking about certain England games particularly.
I wasn't initially convinced he was such an asset to the team as he has proved to be. I think coming on for Kelly yesterday was partly a reflection of his stature as an experienced, consistent operator. I don't know what his contract status is with Tigers, but I'd very much like to see him stay on next year.
Fairly certain that Fred is on at least a two year deal
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:20 am Having read some of the critical posts about the Tigers ( and Saints) during the game I’d like some of those posters to get down to the game to understand what happens!
1) This derby,(along with Gloucester v Bath and Munster v Leinster) is as good, if not better than any international in the Northern Hemisphere.
2) The atmosphere at the ground yesterday was sensation with proper fans from both sides giving their all just like their teams.
3) the fact it was Saints V Tigers brings different pressures and for a Tigers there was the added pressure piled on by everyone saying we’d win!
4) Many Saints fans, though gutted to have left, magnanimously said, “Obviously we are gutted to have lost but that was a proper derby full of passion, thunderous collisions and niggles like no other matches in the league.
5) After the week Tigers had had with the sad news about the wonderful Tiff, there was added pressure to “ win for Tom, her and Maisie. Maisie was probably our most enthusiastic fan yesterday, madly waving her flag and cheering the team on.
6) Kelly’s injury after only a few minutes caused a reshuffle and Burns again proved what a classy player he is with his creativity and incredible passion.
7) From sitting behind the posts, Saints scrum was hardly ever straight but fair play as the ref ( as is usual with him) let it go trying to get a flowing game.
Tigers know they haven’t played well in the last 3 weeks but have won.

Finally then, Sarries, yes, we will have to play better but now the pressure is off as to get to a final is beyond anyone’s dreams after the last few seasons. Although the last few games of last season hinted of a good campaign this season!
Now Tigers its time to peak. Hopefully, apart from Kelly, everyone will be fit.
A good week of training, no commenting to the press about what we will do then go out and give it one last shot.
And for me Ashton has to play. We need his running lines and speed.

We’ve won the most important final this season v Saints so we are Champions for now.
Love this post Ian, spot on :smt023 :smt038
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:52 am Don't get me wrong, I think Ford is a class act, but to me, one of the biggest revelations this season has been Freddie Burns. Years ago, he was much more inconsistent than he is today: at times playing like the best 10 in the world, but at times not playing like that. I am thinking about certain England games particularly.
Totally agree re Freddie, lots of initial reservations on the signing of Flakey Freddie, but along with Porter his adaptability has been a big part of this season’s success
When you think that next season at some point we will have him at 10 and Gopperth at 12 and think they’ll get the job done.