LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by ABClub »

I think Vanes looks a fantastic talent but given he displaced Farnworth as starting hooker I tend to think he'll progress well from getting as many Championship starts as possible with Notts next season.

With Dolly's injury I'd lean towards trying to sign a slightly stronger hooker than Cowan-Dickie. TCD's 5 Premiership appearances don't suggest to me he was viewed as more than an emergency option at Prem level.

Chiefs - 7 minutes
Sarries- 3 minutes
Saints - 19 minutes
Bath - 2 minutes
Quins - 6 minutes

Alun Walker at Ealing is the best non loan hooker I can think of in the Championship but may well be earning more there than we'd offer as a squad player!

I've mentioned him before but Kyle Cooper as a hooker would be a very Tigers/moneyball type signing of recent years. His age and the unsuccessful prop conversion means he likely wont cost a lot but he is an experienced hooker that suits the game plan.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:41 pm I think Vanes looks a fantastic talent but given he displaced Farnworth as starting hooker I tend to think he'll progress well from getting as many Championship starts as possible with Notts next season.

With Dolly's injury I'd lean towards trying to sign a slightly stronger hooker than Cowan-Dickie. TCD's 5 Premiership appearances don't suggest to me he was viewed as more than an emergency option at Prem level.

Chiefs - 7 minutes
Sarries- 3 minutes
Saints - 19 minutes
Bath - 2 minutes
Quins - 6 minutes

Alun Walker at Ealing is the best non loan hooker I can think of in the Championship but may well be earning more there than we'd offer as a squad player!

I've mentioned him before but Kyle Cooper as a hooker would be a very Tigers/moneyball type signing of recent years. His age and the unsuccessful prop conversion means he likely wont cost a lot but he is an experienced hooker that suits the game plan.
Based solely on your username, as an ex wing/fullback I'll bow to your greater knowledge!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Does anyone know anything about David Aniebonam?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 pm Does anyone know anything about David Aniebonam?
I know it’s a struggle to pronounce his surname 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 pm Does anyone know anything about David Aniebonam?
Currently a Loughborough student. We have a similar relationship with Loughborough as we do Nottingham. So we were loaned him for one of our PRC games at a time when Tom Cowan-Dickie was back with Pirates.

If I remember correctly he actually came on at flanker (think we had an injury and he was the last forward on the bench)

Did well, and I'd happily sign him to the development squad, but don't think he's ready to be a 3rd choice Hooker when Dolly and Montoya are absent together.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/ealingtfrugby/statu ... Jn5Aw&s=19

Dan Lancaster is now confirmed to Ealing
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:42 pm https://twitter.com/ealingtfrugby/statu ... Jn5Aw&s=19

Dan Lancaster is now confirmed to Ealing
Good luck to him. Interesting that it's a permanent move, I'd half-expected he'd be loaned out.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rolling Maul Pod connecting us to Joel Kpoku.

From about 17½min in.

Basically saying we're in talks with him, unsure if it's for next season (unlikely but he may want a shot at the world cup).

More likely for summer 2023 when he's out of contract.

That said it all seems pretty early days from what's being said.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0563401969
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 pm Rolling Maul Pod connecting us to Joel Kpoku.

From about 17½min in.

Basically saying we're in talks with him, unsure if it's for next season (unlikely but he may want a shot at the world cup).

Could be a Green replacement?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Shame to see Nemani Nadola confirmed as leaving to NSW Waratahs.
Dragons clearing the ex Tigers team - Greg Bateman released, Jonah Holmes released, Joe Maksymi released, and Jordan Olowofela returned to Tigers!!! :smt039
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 pm Rolling Maul Pod connecting us to Joel Kpoku.

From about 17½min in.

Strange,sure there was a recent interview about how he fell out of love with rugby in England but is now loving it at Lyon
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:11 pm

From about 17½min in.

Could be a Green replacement?
Green signed an extension March time this year, if so confirms that it'll be 2023 he moves
bendy

Post by bendy »

wormus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:11 pm Shame to see Nemani Nadola confirmed as leaving to NSW Waratahs.
Dragons clearing the ex Tigers team - Greg Bateman released, Jonah Holmes released, Joe Maksymi released, and Jordan Olowofela returned to Tigers!!! :smt039
Bateman announced his retirement. I wonder if he'd do things differently if he had his time again.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Errr hard to say that u less you know the wages offered.

Really looking at his injuries etc I don’t think he would change it
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:50 pm
I know it’s a struggle to pronounce his surname 😂
Really? :smt017