LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by ads »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:29 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:21 pm
Old Hob wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 am

Yah, I mean, hi dude, like what's with this "row" jive, man? I mean, it's not like it's the first time I've seen it but, well, um, you know "The" row? I thought there were two.
This made me chuckle! :smt005

Not a fan of the term either.. second row works just fine for me but each to their own..
Each to their own of course. Front row you can be either prop or hooker, back row flanker or 8(number 8 if preferred) play second row, you play in the row. Just my understanding of course
Locks play in the second row.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by johnthegriff »

In days gone by the second row was the second row and the guy now called number eight was lock, not exactly sure when that changed, I think it just sort of evolved. Referring to the Row is a fairly recent thing, like " outside backs " and " back three " and everyone wanting an enforcer in the team whilst knowing that if he did any enforcing he would be yellow or red carded. Strange game rugby but I love it.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Back in the 1970's second rows were also called locks, never heard a number 8 referred to as a lock though.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Riveting
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:35 pmRiveting
That's another way of holding a scrum together.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:39 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:35 pmRiveting
That's another way of holding a scrum together.
:smt005
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 pm In days gone by the second row was the second row and the guy now called number eight was lock, not exactly sure when that changed, I think it just sort of evolved. Referring to the Row is a fairly recent thing, like " outside backs " and " back three " and everyone wanting an enforcer in the team whilst knowing that if he did any enforcing he would be yellow or red carded. Strange game rugby but I love it.
:smt044

Everyone knows that to be successful you need an enforcer in the second row, at least 2 massive Pacific Islanders who can also run 100m in under 11 seconds, 6 international tightheads in the squad, 3 playmakers on the pitch at any given time and Sam Harrison. Did I miss anything?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:00 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 pm In days gone by the second row was the second row and the guy now called number eight was lock, not exactly sure when that changed, I think it just sort of evolved. Referring to the Row is a fairly recent thing, like " outside backs " and " back three " and everyone wanting an enforcer in the team whilst knowing that if he did any enforcing he would be yellow or red carded. Strange game rugby but I love it.

Everyone knows that to be successful you need an enforcer in the second row, at least 2 massive Pacific Islanders who can also run 100m in under 11 seconds, 6 international tightheads in the squad, 3 playmakers on the pitch at any given time and Sam Harrison. Did I miss anything?
An out and out number 7 and a fullback who can kick penalties from inside his own half
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Cockers as coach !!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:03 pm

An out and out number 7 and a fullback who can kick penalties from inside his own half
How could I forget the "Natural Seven"?! You can't win a game of rugby without a Natural Seven as part of a Balanced Back Row.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

And, according to Ben Kay, players who, when they get to the line, "don't panic".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:10 pm And, according to Ben Kay, players who, when they get to the line, "don't panic".
Corporal Jones then
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://youtu.be/26ktS_YhWIg

Not sure it's been posted on here, but this gives a good insight into the player we're signing
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Quite interesting though that (for me) the best BR of all time Kaino,McCaw,Read had a 6 at 6,a 7 at 7 and an 8 at 8. Balance ay 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:47 pm https://youtu.be/26ktS_YhWIg

Not sure it's been posted on here, but this gives a good insight into the player we're signing
Must have been gutted to miss his last kick in Cov last night. Always been a pain to play against, looking forward to seeing him in our shirt.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….