LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Smudge »

We have some excellent backs and a fine fullback but I think we should go after Arundel at London Irish with every means
possible. Such a great talent will not stay at LI and to let a talent like that slip through our fingers and end up at Wasps or Saracens would be a disaster. Get him here at all costs, for Pete's sake.
A life long Tiger
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Pellsey »

Smudge wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:13 am We have some excellent backs and a fine fullback but I think we should go after Arundel at London Irish with every means
possible. Such a great talent will not stay at LI and to let a talent like that slip through our fingers and end up at Wasps or Saracens would be a disaster. Get him here at all costs, for Pete's sake.
Although I tend to agree, I am not sure he would want to play second fiddle to any of our back three, which IMHO, he would have to for the majority of the season. Furthermore, he would not be cheap now, and I think we could invest better, especially in the forwards.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Pellsey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:37 am
Smudge wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:13 am We have some excellent backs and a fine fullback but I think we should go after Arundel at London Irish with every means
Although I tend to agree, I am not sure he would want to play second fiddle to any of our back three, which IMHO, he would have to for the majority of the season. Furthermore, he would not be cheap now, and I think we could invest better, especially in the forwards.
Agree how would we afford it.

Currently he's at London Irish behind Parton who is another promising English player.

Remember a player through your own academy gets discounts on the cap to take him from London Irish would be expensive, especially now his try has gone viral.

IF he moves it'll be to someone who promises he'll start week in week out, and he'll be expensive.

Personally I'd be talking to Parton, who's gone from lots of chat around whether it would be him or Steward that got the England call up last summer, to now hearing everyone fawn over the latest shiny new talent. As with the level of attention Arundell is getting he may get forgotten
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Tend to agree that signing Arundel would not be the best value for money signing - we have 3 fullbacks and several wingers on our books at present and surely he will be looking for a regular starting spot and be quite expensive. Much as I respect our locks, I would like to see us sign a starting lock for next year assuming Cronin is coming. If he isn't then that would be my priority. Our lineout was picked apart for the first time this year by Leinster and needs some thought as others will have watched how they did it. For me, Green is not a starting lock - Chessum and Wells at present, and as Chessum is likely to be away with England, another lock, please. Until we know who else is going or coming in, it is difficult to make any further comments.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I think we'll be in for a winger given we are likely to offload quite a few in the summer and Nadolo looks set to go mid winter. If Kini stays then the need is a bit less but if he goes as well then we'd have the funds for Arundell. We like to rotate our wingers so he'd get chances there, not sure he'd get many at 15 as we seem to prefer a solid option at the back and he isn't that yet.

If I had to guess we'll be trying to pick up a young age grade winger that maybe hasn't had the chances they'd like yet (Cleaves or Bailey) or be fishing around the Championship for someone hungry to step up. Adamson or Worley someone like that, maybe Williams will come back in. I suppose we won't need an automatic starter.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Credit to your aspirations, and great idea in theory, but the reality of a shrinking salary cap means clubs will aim to hold on to their own products, and we are unlikely to be able to afford him.
To be honest, if further funds permit (and no disrespect to our current coaching team) I wonder whether we should add a world-class backs/attack coach to develop more variety to our attack? Some of the comments in the media post-Leinster defeat suggested a degree of predictability and limits to our options.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Some very interesting observations. I do think it’s easy to forget the drop in salary cap next season which means just going out and targeting a player will become less realistic. Arundell is huge talent, no doubt, but his wonder try was scored with 23 on his back, so his current club don’t deem him ready to start a European quarter final. I don’t know what the discrepancy is in pay, but he does have world class 7s player written all over him.
As for props, I would like us to bring in another loose head as well as Cronin. I think we might have been sold a duff in with Van Wyk and not sure he is even 3rd prop quality. Tight head is fine Cole Heyes Hurd Hoyt learning his trade at Nottingham along with Richardson. Unfortunately budget is another consideration I don’t know their salaries but both Cole and Heyes are going to being paid well
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Depends if Whitcombe is ready to step up. Everything points to him doing that. So Cronin,Whitcombe,Van Wyk,Richardson would be ok. And that’s without Ladygaga.
For reference Whitcombe has been involved in 18 matches starting 9 of them across all competitions.
Everything points at present to Cronin being our number 1 LH with Whitcombe and Van Wyk behind him and Richardson taking up Ladygagas duties of covering both sides but who knows? Might have a nice surprise up SB sleeve.
Last edited by Scott1 on Tue May 10, 2022 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
bendy

Post by bendy »

Looks like it's not a popcorn Tuesday then.
The wait continues...!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

bendy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:18 am Looks like it's not a popcorn Tuesday then.
The wait continues...!
Was just thinking the same :smt012
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Genuinely think the leavers will be announced the day before the rest of the signings, pretty sure that's how we've done it in the past.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.onrugby.it/2022/05/10/itali ... er-series/

David Odiase (Italy U20 openside) is expected to join us
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:33 am https://www.onrugby.it/2022/05/10/itali ... er-series/

Interesting not 20 till next January stats put him same height as Agbongbon 4 kilos heavier. The Italian u20s picked up some decent results will be seen as a development project initially I would imagine
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:33 am https://www.onrugby.it/2022/05/10/itali ... er-series/

Came through at partner club Colorno
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Makes sense imo most of the academy players coming through look more natural 6/8’s

V Scotland u20’s he made 18 tackles in 31 minutes!