Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins v Leicester - 23rd April 2022 KO 15:00

Post by sapajo »

fentiger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:56 am
ads wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:53 am Ford seems really slow on conversions, and is almost getting charged down. Seems like he has to rush the last bit to avoid the defending player.
Opposition have spotted that and are targeting him at conversion time.
The dissapointing aspect of this is that George has not modified his methodology to counter it as its costing us valuable points in important games.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:04 am
ads wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:53 am Ford seems really slow on conversions, and is almost getting charged down. Seems like he has to rush the last bit to avoid the defending player.
The dissapointing aspect of this is that George has not modified his methodology to counter it as its costing us valuable points in important games.
Precisely this :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:04 am
I think Ford is carrying a couple of knocks. His arm is all strapped up and he wasn't running as much with the ball and linking attacks like he normally does. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Bristol game off. His kicking action wasn't smooth, I don't think he'd have handed the duties over to Burns unless there was a niggle of some sort.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Watched the game last night before the Fury non-event. I thought we were decent considering the side put out, scrum could have have gone better, we wasted some good opportunities when in the red zone. Losing bonus was a lot of people’s predictions and it was about fair. Of course I’d rather we won but I’m not going to cry given the circumstances of the selection, away game etc. hats off to Jansen and Robinson. More evidence of squad depth. On we go. Balanced views eh ? A rarity across all aspects of our society!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

"Ruck" discussing the Green, Dombrant, Marler affair this morning. Citing on the way?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:10 am "Ruck" discussing the Green, Dombrant, Marler affair this morning. Citing on the way?
For Dombrant or Green? If Dombrant deemed at fault then really should be cited.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:10 am "Ruck" discussing the Green, Dombrant, Marler affair this morning. Citing on the way?
Unlikely I'd say, even if they publicly disagree with Barnes and Foley (and by extension the WR focus on pushing into contact they very prominently cited) on the penalty going against Quins, the push would still mitigate it to a yellow so they can do nothing.

Unless, of course, they feel the time is right to publicly reveal the anti Tigers conspiracy at the top of rugby but it might be a bit early for that... :smt002 :smt002
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:06 am Watched the game last night before the Fury non-event. I thought we were decent considering the side put out, scrum could have have gone better, we wasted some good opportunities when in the red zone. Losing bonus was a lot of people’s predictions and it was about fair. Of course I’d rather we won but I’m not going to cry given the circumstances of the selection, away game etc. hats off to Jansen and Robinson. More evidence of squad depth. On we go. Balanced views eh ? A rarity across all aspects of our society!
I'd agree with that assessment, we coulda/shoulda, but we didn't quite, well played to both teams.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:02 am
loretta wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:56 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:46 am

This :smt027
I find it curious that SB has chosen reduced strength sides for big games against close competitors. Yesterday and home and away v Sarries. We did play Sarries in the international windows, but still went with a lot of youth. It means we (and the pundits, though it won’t stop them from trying) can draw few valuable conclusions from the results and performances. Beyond the fact that our weakened sides are still hard to put away, of course.
Nail on head I think Loretta. It’s the bigger picture learning about players. Quins fans must have looked at our starting line up yesterday and thought sure fire 5 pointer. All the comments I have heard and even Ugo mentioned it was what a squad has been developed
Superb piece of psychology and planning by SB, in my opinion.

When we play these teams in the play offs they think back oh heck we only just beat them when a number of 1st and 2nd choices weren't playing and they could have won if the rub of the green had gone their way. Now we are facing their strongest available line up ooh er....

Add to this all the stuff about rest, rotation, needed game time etc and I start to understand SB's philosophy for this and similar games.

There is also a 3rd element. If we ended up being without a number of our1st and 2nd choices in the play offs or latter stages of European Competition these squad players would be drafted in and asked to step up. A game like yesterday enables them to put into practice strategies, moves and systems learned on the training field in the cauldron of a full on premiership match against top opponents. Having come through and not disgraced themselves, indeed being close enough to actually win, gives individual players, the whole squad and the coaching staff the confidence to go out and perform again with 1st hand knowledge of the step up they need to make to win next time. Much better than being thrown in at the deep end, methinks.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The records show that Leicester Tigers first team were away to Harlequins first team, what players or their supposed status within their clubs is irrelevant. Both teams scored 3 tries and both sides had periods of dominance, the home team won a close and for me entertaining game. A significant decision was made by the referee who many describe as the very best in deciding that a player pushed into accelerated contact by a team mate gave the defending player no chance of avoiding head contact so the penalty (instead of a card for the defender) was awarded against the attacker. I am not a qualified rugby ref but I do think that for a card to be issued an offence should be either deliberate or reckless, I don't think either description applied to Green, I also do not see how or why the penalty was awarded against Dombrandt for pushing Marler. Whilst we all want to prevent the head being targeted we have to realise that rugby is a contact sport and sometimes accidents happen and when attackers lead with their head into contact the defender is unable to avoid it in contact.
Steve Borthwick is managing player time and also having a good look at his squad so that the improvements we are all enjoying continue into next season and beyond, our position at the top of the Premiership, in the quarter final of the European Cup and the semi final of the Premiership Rugby Cup show that he is not making a bad job of it. The few losses we have sustained show there is still work to do.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:33 am The records show that Leicester Tigers first team were away to Harlequins first team, what players or their supposed status within their clubs is irrelevant. Both teams scored 3 tries and both sides had periods of dominance, the home team won a close and for me entertaining game. A significant decision was made by the referee who many describe as the very best in deciding that a player pushed into accelerated contact by a team mate gave the defending player no chance of avoiding head contact so the penalty (instead of a card for the defender) was awarded against the attacker. I am not a qualified rugby ref but I do think that for a card to be issued an offence should be either deliberate or reckless, I don't think either description applied to Green, I also do not see how or why the penalty was awarded against Dombrandt for pushing Marler. Whilst we all want to prevent the head being targeted we have to realise that rugby is a contact sport and sometimes accidents happen and when attackers lead with their head into contact the defender is unable to avoid it in contact.
Steve Borthwick is managing player time and also having a good look at his squad so that the improvements we are all enjoying continue into next season and beyond, our position at the top of the Premiership, in the quarter final of the European Cup and the semi final of the Premiership Rugby Cup show that he is not making a bad job of it. The few losses we have sustained show there is still work to do.
For the purpose of the records you are right. However be in no doubt that the 2 team selections had an impact on the result, and I know which rather camp I’d be in this morning.
I also don’t think anyone is suggesting we are near the finished article, certainly not the players or coaching staff.
Doesn’t the fact that Leicester and Gloucester are the only clubs still in 3 competitions, admittedly they are in the challenge cup, count for something??
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

George Ford has regressed in the last year.
Why ? Partly probably because of Jones and Farrell, he has become ultra defensive, the exact tommy opposite of Marcus Smith, and a shadow of the wonderful young GF who blew Quins apart at the Stoop in a cup match probably 8/10 years ago.

He has great attributes, but sleight of hand, great passing and an overdone spiral bomb/ kicking game at the expense of his old individuality is the reason why he has not improved.

Maybe , at Sharks, he will flourish. The one time Tuilagi isnt wounded.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fortysix wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:40 am George Ford has regressed in the last year.
Why ? Partly probably because of Jones and Farrell, he has become ultra defensive, the exact tommy opposite of Marcus Smith, and a shadow of the wonderful young GF who blew Quins apart at the Stoop in a cup match probably 8/10 years ago.

He has great attributes, but sleight of hand, great passing and an overdone spiral bomb/ kicking game at the expense of his old individuality is the reason why he has not improved.

Maybe , at Sharks, he will flourish. The one time Tuilagi isnt wounded.
I think his drop in form has more to with his treatment by England and the amount of time he spent not playing.
He plays the way Tigers want him to play, much as Smith plays the way that Quins want him to play, and unless Sharks change their style dramatically he won’t be much different there.
On the subject of Smith he is wonderful to watch, but there will come a time when his form drops, or he unfortunately picks up an injury that keeps him out for a period of time. There will also come a time when he hasn’t got Care inside him and Esterhuizen on his shoulder, to get him out of the odd hole
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Crofty wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:18 am
Unlikely I'd say, even if they publicly disagree with Barnes and Foley (and by extension the WR focus on pushing into contact they very prominently cited) on the penalty going against Quins, the push would still mitigate it to a yellow so they can do nothing.

Unless, of course, they feel the time is right to publicly reveal the anti Tigers conspiracy at the top of rugby but it might be a bit early for that... :smt002 :smt002
https://www.ruck.co.uk/marler-left-bloo ... -red-card/

Link to article
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fortysix wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:40 am
He has great attributes, but sleight of hand, great passing and an overdone spiral bomb/ kicking game
Overdone spiral bomb :smt017 He did one yesterday and zero against Clermont. He needs to increase not decrease them as its the kick he does best and is very difficult for the opposition to defend. Apart from Ford, I have only ever seen Farrell do a spiral bomb, very few if any other No10s can actually perform
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity